If you direct abuse at someone directly due to their race / gender / sexuality I don’t care how harsh you think it is, it’s an offence. The fact that you give abuse to everyone is not a defence.

If there’s people who don’t understand this, then I can’t help you. There were women yesterday who were afraid to go because they knew what was coming.

Not the club I want to support thanks.
12:23, Sun 26 Nov
Too right, fecking lefties.

Bastards, every one of ‘em
13:03, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
If you direct abuse at someone directly due to their race / gender / sexuality I don’t care how harsh you think it is, it’s an offence. The fact that you give abuse to everyone is not a defence.

If there’s people who don’t understand this, then I can’t help you. There were women yesterday who were afraid to go because they knew what was coming.

Exactly this. So many of the posts above have completely missed the point.

Take the performance of the referee out of it. Whether someone is doing a good job or not, directing abuse at them about something they can't change, that has nothing to do with their job, is unacceptable. Pretty much nobody would accept it if it was racial abuse being launched at a black referee. I am less convinced, from bitter experience, that Blues fans would feel the same about homophobic insinuations towards an openly gay ref, but I doubt in that case there would be the same level of equivocation and dismissiveness as there has been here either.

Nobody is saying you can't criticise a woman doing a job in men's football. Call a female referee a tosspot and a bastard for giving decisions against us correctly if you want. Calling someone a tosspot or a bastard or a effing tit or a one-eyed stump is hardly specific to someone's gender. The fact that some people consider it 'special treatment' for a woman not to have abuse based specifically on her gender directed her way for doing her job is shameful. Give your heads a wobble.
13:08, Sun 26 Nov
Tam
Tam
Macho Man Randy Savage
Yeah, agreed. But doesn't mean she should be immune from criticism because of her sex.

No, that's true. It's the abuse that I hate, not the criticism.

This.
13:45, Sun 26 Nov
She's degree 5 matches at Championship level. We've featured in 3 of them, two at St Andrews and at Boro. I'd suggest that 's a sign our fans aren't generally seen as problematic for a female ref.

I don't think she has stood out in any of the 3 games. They've all been fairly straightforward games, which helps. She could possibly have sent Gannon off yesterday. I thought it was a cynical foul and on the border of a red card.

If you ignore her gender her performance as a red in the 3 games I've seen has been fine. There's a few decisions I didn't agree with, but that's standard.

The gender based criticism and insults are pretty awful and unnecessary. There were quite a lot of them audible on the Hilton yesterday. I don't think it helped that we didn't play well for much of the first half. There's always more criticism of the referee when we play badly. I think it will get better with more female officials, but there's a dispiriting amount of abuse from people who should know better.

As for the two teens they are unpleasant idiots. There's no excuse for that chant. Hopefully a short, but harsh lesson will teach them not to behave like that again.
13:55, Sun 26 Nov
bluearmyfaction
Macho Man Randy Savage
Bcfc 26
Where the stewards /police by where I was? People shouting " put your makeup down a focus on the game" " you should be getting your nails done" " you should be working in the hairdressers"

Disgraceful. The woman is doing a effing job at the end of the day!

You want people arrested for that?

Jesus wept.
By the Comedy Police, surely? Even 1970s ITV aimed for higher standards.

Ha I was thinking similar.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
Thrillhouse

Completely agree.

Too many people see going to football as a near-enough 'anything goes' experience. I've heard homophobia, racism, sexism, songs about Petrov having cancer, pro-Tommy Robinson songs at Luton, etc. Some people, for 2hrs on a Saturday, turn into somebody else. Why go to the football if you're getting that wound up? The fact that we've all seen and heard much worse doesn't excuse what the teenagers were arrested for, if anything it should serve as a reminder that at a football stadium you are still subject to the law of the land.

In this case what was said was obviously sexist. The lads are young, but if you go around being sexist in a football stadium next to a copper, it's very much your own fault if you get pulled up for it.
15:21, Sun 26 Nov
tebily
Thrillhouse

Completely agree.

Too many people see going to football as a near-enough 'anything goes' experience. I've heard homophobia, racism, sexism, songs about Petrov having cancer, pro-Tommy Robinson songs at Luton, etc. Some people, for 2hrs on a Saturday, turn into somebody else. Why go to the football if you're getting that wound up? The fact that we've all seen and heard much worse doesn't excuse what the teenagers were arrested for, if anything it should serve as a reminder that at a football stadium you are still subject to the law of the land.

In this case what was said was obviously sexist. The lads are young, but if you go around being sexist in a football stadium next to a copper, it's very much your own fault if you get pulled up for it.

surely the fact that you've heard so much worse aimed at men (the petrov example, let's say) is proof that it isn't sexist

abusing the referee is one of the joys of football and as old as time, arresting people for that is absolutely mental
15:33, Sun 26 Nov
Kop Corner
Good to see action being taken. Not before time. Sadly, little boys will be little boys. There's another forum, not SHA obvs, where there is virtually a whole thread full of misogynist "banter". You just shake your head and wonder at these immature dinosaurs.

Thank eff i don't sit in Kop corner with you.I bet you're a real atmosphere vacuum.
The part where the abuse is obviously and explicitly to do with someone's gender is the sexist part. Keep up.

Singing about someone having cancer is in terrible taste, but it's not to do with their race/sexuality/gender. Those things are protected by law to stop people being discriminated against simply for being different from the majority of others in a given situation, such as being a woman official in the men's game. For a lot of people cancer would cross a line too. That doesn't make any of it okay.

If you abuse a woman simply for being a woman doing a job that you don't often see women doing, that's not acceptable. Not sure what part of this is difficult to grasp.
15:37, Sun 26 Nov
Istanblue
The part where the abuse is obviously and explicitly to do with someone's gender is the sexist part. Keep up.

Singing about someone having cancer is in terrible taste, but it's not to do with their race/sexuality/gender. Those things are protected by law to stop people being discriminated against simply for being different from the majority of others in a given situation, such as being a woman official in the men's game. For a lot of people cancer would cross a line too. That doesn't make any of it okay.

If you abuse a woman simply for being a woman doing a job that you don't often see women doing, that's not acceptable. Not sure what part of this is difficult to grasp.

they're abusing her because she's the referee, not because she's a woman

at least imo
15:37, Sun 26 Nov
Homer
Kop Corner
Good to see action being taken. Not before time. Sadly, little boys will be little boys. There's another forum, not SHA obvs, where there is virtually a whole thread full of misogynist "banter". You just shake your head and wonder at these immature dinosaurs.

Thank eff i don't sit in Kop corner with you.I bet you're a real atmosphere vacuum.

Does sexist abuse really = atmosphere to you?

Have some imagination.
Bagel
Istanblue

at least imo

If you think people didn’t turn up yesterday ready to abuse the referee regardless of performance, because she’s a woman, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.
15:40, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
Bagel
Istanblue

at least imo

If you think people didn’t turn up yesterday ready to abuse the referee regardless of performance, because she’s a woman, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

people turn up and abuse the referee literally every week, regardless of who they are or how they perform
15:41, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner

Does sexist abuse really = atmosphere to you?

Have some imagination.

She got no worse than any other referee gets every week up and down the country every week. I don't believe anybody on here who says they haven't shouted abuse at the ref. If somebody shouted at next weeks ref,"You're a herpes riddled fanny" would there be the same uproar ?