15:45, Sun 26 Nov
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner
Good to see action being taken. Not before time. Sadly, little boys will be little boys. There's another forum, not SHA obvs, where there is virtually a whole thread full of misogynist "banter". You just shake your head and wonder at these immature dinosaurs.

Thank eff i don't sit in Kop corner with you.I bet you're a real atmosphere vacuum.

Does sexist abuse really = atmosphere to you?

Have some imagination.

She got no worse than any other referee gets every week up and down the country every week. I don't believe anybody on here who says they haven't shouted abuse at the ref. If somebody shouted at next weeks ref,"You're a herpes riddled fanny" would there be the same uproar ?

You’re deliberately missing the point. It’s the content of the abuse. If you’re aiming specifically gender based abuse at her, THAT IS PREJUDICE. It’s no different to racism. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

The fact that we’re having a conversation here about if misogyny is okay because “lol I abuse everyone” is absolutely pathetic.
15:48, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner
Good to see action being taken. Not before time. Sadly, little boys will be little boys. There's another forum, not SHA obvs, where there is virtually a whole thread full of misogynist "banter". You just shake your head and wonder at these immature dinosaurs.

Thank eff i don't sit in Kop corner with you.I bet you're a real atmosphere vacuum.

Have some imagination.

She got no worse than any other referee gets every week up and down the country every week. I don't believe anybody on here who says they haven't shouted abuse at the ref. If somebody shouted at next weeks ref,"You're a herpes riddled fanny" would there be the same uproar ?

You’re deliberately missing the point. It’s the content of the abuse. If you’re aiming specifically gender based abuse at her, THAT IS PREJUDICE. It’s no different to racism. If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

The fact that we’re having a conversation here about if misogyny is okay because “lol I abuse everyone” is absolutely pathetic.

I've been at the game before when a young lady the row behind me done nothing but slate men for 90 minutes because she was going through a break up. The abuse was 10x worse than that chant.

Would you of been supportive of arresting her because she was calling men scumbags cheating fannys?

Just a simple yes or no will do.
15:50, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner

Have some imagination.

Will you be equally offended if next week,our female fans start calling the ref a prick or a fanny
15:53, Sun 26 Nov
No I don’t agree that an arrest is the correct course of action.

But that’s not we’re taking about.

We’re talking about whether gender specific abuse is okay, and it’s obviously fecking not. In any direction.

Call me woke, call me a snowflake, I don’t care. This culture war sh*t is absolutely pathetic. People should be able to enjoy themselves without having old men spitting abuse at them, the fact that that’s a controversial opinion is baffling.

And you can stuff your whatabouttery “won’t even be allowed to swear next”. Do me a favour.
mad
15:55, Sun 26 Nov
First half there was one incident which provoked a muttering close to where I sit from a 50-ish year old "silly cow" followed by "stupid bitch". Personally that is out of order and it something that should not be tolerated especially when there are plenty of women and girls and boys about but you couldn't arrest someone for that alone. I didn't think the referee had a terrible game far from it.

These lads have obviously gone beyond what I've just described. Presumably they've worked up an entire repertoire of the kind of songs we all know only too well. Had it been a one off I'm sure they'd have been reprimanded by one of the stewards or police but I sense they've been at it for some time with comments and abuse or else they made a big deal out of being reprimanded hence the arrest.
15:55, Sun 26 Nov
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner

Have some imagination.

Will you be equally offended if next week,our female fans start calling the ref a prick or a fanny

There are something like 300 derogatory terms for women in the English language. Do you know how many there are for men?

None.

You are DELIBERATELY ignoring the overarching point about the abuse being directly based on prejudice.
17:06, Sun 26 Nov
Thrillhouse
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Thrillhouse
Homer
Kop Corner

Have some imagination.

There are something like 300 derogatory terms for women in the English language. Do you know how many there are for men?

None.

You are DELIBERATELY ignoring the overarching point about the abuse being directly based on prejudice.

Unless i'm missing something further from this chant, how is chanting about chlamydia being sexist and prejudice? If i have missed something i'll hold my hands up, but both men n women get std's. It's an embarassing chant, but arrested for it? Deary me.

What in that chant has made it gender specfic n completely out of order against women? Men coming back from lads holidays must be trembling everywhere that their shit 'bet you got an std' chat is actually a criminal offence.
17:14, Sun 26 Nov
It’s only ever chanted at women tbf. ‘She’s got chlamydia’ is a common chant to the away end and vice versa whenever a woman is involved.

Enough to get arrested over? Probably not but definitely misogynistic.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
22:31, Sun 26 Nov
Embarrassing, hope the fans in here defending the police never chanted songs about gabby agbonlahors mom etc over the years.
23:31, Sun 26 Nov
LOL. Well that comment just totally reinforces everything I said. You apparently think that abusing women is the key to creating atmosphere. Wow. That's some seriously Jurassic thinking right there.
I think the real story here is the context in which the arrests took place. That is, the club does not want the kind of supporter that shouts misogynistic abuse anymore. Or indeed abuse that makes any other minority within the ground feel uncomfortable. I applaud the stand the club is making. It takes courage to stand up to bullies who wear their prejudices as some kind of pathetic badge of honour. Clearly they are no longer welcome. And good riddance to bad rubbish. We are better than that as a club and to grow attendances we need to become a club that has a reputation for being welcoming to everyone. We are changing for the better I think and hope.
This is a tough one. My instinct is that this just needed a chat from the police at the scene.

If we start arresting people then I fear we are starting something that cannot be stopped and a police state awaits where even thought is policed too.

I hope sense prevails, no charges are laid and the punishment fits the crime, ie a strong word and the accused shamed into being better
Blue since 67 - Will be there at the end of the road, whenever that may be!
Yeah. Good point well made.
07:48, Mon 27 Nov
Kop Corner
I think the real story here is the context in which the arrests took place. That is, the club does not want the kind of supporter that shouts misogynistic abuse anymore. Or indeed abuse that makes any other minority within the ground feel uncomfortable. I applaud the stand the club is making. It takes courage to stand up to bullies who wear their prejudices as some kind of pathetic badge of honour. Clearly they are no longer welcome. And good riddance to bad rubbish. We are better than that as a club and to grow attendances we need to become a club that has a reputation for being welcoming to everyone. We are changing for the better I think and hope.

If you’re talking generically about this type of behaviour, I’m with you. It needs to be eradicated. If you’re talking specifically about these two lads, who I don’t know and have never met, I’d disagree, assuming it’s their first offence.

The club restated their policy in advance with the pre-match statement:

“This will not be tolerated and any individual reported for such behaviour will be asked to leave their seat by stewards. Furthermore, in accordance with the club’s behaviour matrix, foul and abusive language carries a potential ban of up to four matches, with discriminatory and hate speech being punishable with a maximum ban of five years.”

Personally, I’d hope the punishment handed out is that of a short ban, and, next time she’s reffing at St Andrews, that the lads either write letters of apology or meet with her before the game to apologise in person. In my experience, 30 years working in sixth form education (and, incidentally, there’s every chance these kids are students studying for upcoming important qualifications which will affect their life chances), a proportionate punishment and a period of self reflection, will do the job. Im not at all convinced that society, BCFC, or the kids in question - and they are kids- will benefit from this going to court.

Incidentally, before I posted. I quickly mentioned the alleged details of the offence to my wife, who also worked in sixth form education for many years, is preparing to be a magistrate, and, of course, being a woman, possesses far more intelligence and ‘common sense’ than myself. Just to make sure, like, that I hadn’t woken up overly liberal and forgiving in my thinking. Her response? ‘Tell ‘em off”.
08:16, Mon 27 Nov
I was talking generally not about a specific case which has to go through due process yet. My point is that it appears that the club no longer is prepared to put up with the behaviour of a certain section of the support and I see that as a positive and eradicating this type of behaviour is very necessary in building the type of club the new owners envisage which will be very different to the club of the past.