14:21, Mon 18 Dec
NouCamp
Chris
People thinking their cars are the most precious thing in the world are one of the biggest scourges on society at the moment. They ruin city centres, local beauty spots and just about anything else that spends more time than it should accommodating cars instead of prioritising pedestrians and local transport infrastructure. We should ensure there are enough spaces for the elderly and disabled and then encourage everyone else to get a train / tram / bus.

agree but its hard to get people out their cars if they are trying to get to st.andrews

tonight I could take public transport and it will take me an hour minimum

or take the car and it will take me 30

I live 10 min walk from a train station and 4 miles from St.Andrews

public transport is shit for getting to and away from blues

Before my son started coming to games I'd cycle to the Blues. I live roughly the same distance as you and I'd be home in 25 minutes. Google Maps currently says 53 minutes by bus or 24 mins by bike (18 mins by car, obviously no match traffic included in that figure)
14:22, Mon 18 Dec
The tram in Digbeth alone wont be ready for around 10 years due to HS2 as it will finish with that. The extension then to Blues would take a few more years after that.
14:22, Mon 18 Dec
Whoooaaa steady there

I speak for all of leafy Warwickshire when i say that we’ll come to you thank you very much.
14:23, Mon 18 Dec
Can you get the train to Bordesley from New Street?
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
14:26, Mon 18 Dec
Nikola Zigic

lol

yeah

well maybe

sometimes

maybe

edit - from moor st but its very unreliable is the point
14:26, Mon 18 Dec

No, it's on the Moor Street/Snow Hill line.

And when the new chords at Bordesley are built to connect the new stations at Moseley, Kings Heath and Pineapple Road to Moor Street rather than New Street Bordesley station will be demolished.
14:28, Mon 18 Dec
load of rubbish, surely by population density a central birmingham stadium has much greater catchment area than a solihull one, notwithstanding the supposed middle-class appeal of that.

All of the spiel has been about birmingham's appeal as a young vibrant diverse city, not Mr and Mrs Smith from Banbury coming up once a year to watch Blues play Man Utd

Let's face it, Blues have had enough of the type of people they're attracting from these traditional areas, they're holding the club back. One family in a Range Rover travelling up from Welford on Avon 12 times a season could easily spend more money than a quartet of blokes from Frankley on a family daysaver, sticking 4 straws in a pint of Carlsberg before the game.
14:33, Mon 18 Dec
HS2 has swallowed up most of the leaves.
14:42, Mon 18 Dec
Rags
Nikola Zigic
I'm absolutely sick of driving to Blues. It's an absolute ball ache.

I'm doing satdee games on the train from now on.

Well last home game v Rotherham. I thought the same . Get on train from Telford as I'm sick of the worsening traffic off Aston Expressway down Waterlinks to Curzon Circus so checked my train time just before I left the house "CANCELLED"... great, so not trusting the trains I went by car. 40 minutes to get to Waterlinks then sat another 45 minutes. I did 1 mile , it was 2.10pm so I managed to dump the car behind White Tower pub (a few others did the same) and walked...faster than the queuing cars. Tonight I think maybe I'll drive to Redditch and come in that way to the ground. More miles but quicker.

Have you ever considered driving to West Brom or Wolverhampton and catching the tram in - i find it incredibly easy and obviously parking isn't a problem at the West Brom tram
The links are very good that way. Loads of options as well. Tram or train to both Moor St and New St from Sandwell and Dudley
Tony Fantastico
14:48, Mon 18 Dec
Despite all the work going on around St Andrews in recent months, there has been consistent gossip among Blues fans about the potential for a move to a new stadium. This has been fuelled by people talking about the redevelopment of Birmingham Wheels Park and the potential to build there.

[almajir.net]

Dan ... i got something wrong in some of the snippets i have passed and some of what i have posted in the past ....

I originally said that, from the Commissioners point of view, selling Wheels site with Outline Planning Permission would increase it's marketable value by 8-10 times. This has now been "downgraded" to 3-4 times. I had based my figure on examples where sites hadn't already been mooted for industrial use or residential use (not applicable here) and based on the surroundings (industrial and scrapyards) plus current area plans etc it would never have been tooooo much of a gamble for potential buyers to assume permissions would have been granted.

Leading on from that ..... the Wheels site, although the OPP is for warehousing, may not appeal to many buyers now for that particular use - there is going to be a 1 millon plus sq foot industrial park built on the old LDV site at Drews Lane Washwood Heath. This will have much much greater motorway access and will be right adjacent to the site where the HS2 trains will be kept, and go to be maintained. Compulsory purchases etc have already taken place (and are taking place) regarding this.

There is also a massive existing site being developed further just down the road in Saltley which is much more suitable for warehousing (not suitable for a stadium) which also makes much more sense if you were thinking of needing warehousing close (ish) to the city centre.

The important thing with warehousing isn't always its proximity to the final destination - but the ease of access of getting stuff TO the warehousing. Massive HGVs go in, vans etc go out. This is why you see the major Amazon centres being some way from the places of final destination - it isn't where stuff is ending up - it's getting stuff to the warehouse

Further point
If the deal (as i believe) to swap St Andrews for Wheels is now dead (because the Commissioners have pretty much torn up all existing deals and are only looking to raise cash) it DOES raise some problems for Blues - but not necessarily cost problems. The problem would be more one of inconvenience wherby we'd have to buy Wheels site and STILL have to then dispose of St Andrews site. It is perfect for social Housing (location, services, transport ,, ie buses, local shops, community etc etc etc ) so with BCC out of the equation for purchasing ('cos they ain't going to be allowed to buy anything) it would need a Housing Association or a developers with great vision and deep pockets.
Whilst others may disagree i don't think the area itself is ever going to make it very attractive to developers looking at it as private residential flat building.

As i say, the costs to Blues wouldn't increase by much - merely the inconvenience

Last point for now ... the Commissioners (they get paid £1,000 a day - £1,200 a day for Head Commissioner - and there are 9 of them altogether - total cost to BCC will total around £15 million) are ONLY here for 5 years. That may sound like a long long time but isn't necessarily that long in real terms. So what "was" is currently gone but "what will be" could be back on the table in 5 years time.

As you know, i have to formulate this all as "opinion" but will pass on other facts to yourself and in private as and when i get them
14:54, Mon 18 Dec
PPS ... for those who complain about my verbosity and wordiness (i'm careful with HOW i say things)

.. in short

Question - Are we still buying the Wheels site ?

Answer - we can if we want to.

Question - Are we looking at anywhere else as a possibility ?

Answer - Not at the current time. No
15:02, Mon 18 Dec
3/4 x more for consented land is still way off mate. Site in castle brom just gone for circa 1.5m acre. No planning consent. Brownfield industrial. In brum that’s about the most a site could go for based on build costs and rents in order to get a return as a developer.
15:21, Mon 18 Dec
Nikola Zigic

No.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
15:45, Mon 18 Dec
NouCamp
Chris
People thinking their cars are the most precious thing in the world are one of the biggest scourges on society at the moment. They ruin city centres, local beauty spots and just about anything else that spends more time than it should accommodating cars instead of prioritising pedestrians and local transport infrastructure. We should ensure there are enough spaces for the elderly and disabled and then encourage everyone else to get a train / tram / bus.

agree but its hard to get people out their cars if they are trying to get to st.andrews

tonight I could take public transport and it will take me an hour minimum

or take the car and it will take me 30

I live 10 min walk from a train station and 4 miles from St.Andrews

public transport is shit for getting to and away from blues

Before my son started coming to games I'd cycle to the Blues. I live roughly the same distance as you and I'd be home in 25 minutes. Google Maps currently says 53 minutes by bus or 24 mins by bike (18 mins by car, obviously no match traffic included in that figure)

Are you the bloke who used to sell the cheese cobs?
16:15, Mon 18 Dec
Chris

Lovely blue sky thinking, but if four of us travel down by train tonight the cost would be £310.80 in total, against half a tank of diesel £50, where is the incentive to use Train/Tram/Bus?