09:16, Thu 21 Dec
Good - lets hope the likes of Man City etc all F off there

[www.bbc.co.uk]
BCFC - Letting me down for 50 years
09:23, Thu 21 Dec
I'd be up for it to see their back of their arrogance. It's hilarious to think of the sniping that would go on. Do the vile have a place because they're now a top four side (eugh)? And are Chelsea out of it because they're now shit?

I'd just love to see big clubs constantly be scraping around the bottom of the league. Also, I'm not sure why the likes of Man City would want this given it would level the playing field - suddenly AC Milan and Inter would have their spending power given the supposed structure of revenues.
09:33, Thu 21 Dec
It is interesting because what is the next play?

The UK could take a different view to EU law I guess and ban British clubs from entering any newly formed super league. If we do go it alone then who wins in a fan battle between the EPL and a European Super League. Do overseas viewers start to see the EPL as an inferior competition or does it drag even more investment into the English league. We saw the negative effect on isolation from European competition in the 80/90s, if Man City and co no longer get to prove they are better than Barcelona, Madrid etc do people lose interest?

I am guessing that the rich owners of Newcastle, Man City etc would simply not want to be left out and their departure will be inevitable or the owners themselves will depart. Even if we lose our top 6 I see the strength of the English system being fine and maybe even boosted by the increased unpredictability of the winners of our league. How Spain, Italy and Germany would fair by losing their few big teams I am not so sure.
09:40, Thu 21 Dec
And people STILL wonder why Britain voted Brexit.

The fannys on the ECJ are a prime reason for it. A court so intellectually vapid it makes the SCOTUS look competent. Its role is not judicial, but political, and this is further acquis communautaire. More power to the EU Commission, less to the people.
09:54, Thu 21 Dec
Surely the owners of Man City etc would just buy another European club, or they would find another way around i.e. perhaps a US-franchise type move?
Happy for them to go, on the proviso that no ‘b’ team or club owned by anything to do with the ‘elite’ are able to play in any English competition.
Formerly Deckchair
Surely the owners of Man City etc would just buy another European club, or they would find another way around i.e. perhaps a US-franchise type move?

This is the angle I am surprised they have never gone for. You could set up a completely separate competition with franchise teams from the biggest cities in the world and have them play in leagues (conferences like American sports) with a play off at the end. All the best players bugger off to that.
10:04, Thu 21 Dec
bluearmyfaction

The fannys on the ECJ are a prime reason for it. A court so intellectually vapid it makes the SCOTUS look competent. Its role is not judicial, but political, and this is further acquis communautaire. More power to the EU Commission, less to the people.

That's brilliant.

There is no way that the group of internationally owned clubs at the top of the Premier League will miss out on money.
If the current European competitions gain a rival it will be a simple calculation as to where the money is.

I'd say there will be new Saudi-led proposals within a couple of years. A big glitzy competition with the final in Riyadh. There is no way the English clubs will miss out if the money is good enough.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.
10:07, Thu 21 Dec
Is there anything stopping the huge clubs having two teams, in effect? What a way to boost their income that would be. Competing in both...
10:14, Thu 21 Dec
A bit deeper in the ruling says that UEFA/FIFA still have the right to set rules and have prior approval, It even mentions "equal opportunities and merit". In addition, the laws that have been found incompatible were changed last year.

There will probably be a super league in the end, but in the same framework as the other competitions.

The key thing a lot of people want is as mentioned above - if you go to the super league, you go full in and don't get to play in the Prem at the same time.
10:20, Thu 21 Dec
Oldham
Is there anything stopping the huge clubs having two teams, in effect? What a way to boost their income that would be. Competing in both...

Seems a perfectly logical extension to have international clubs. Why not a PSG London in the Premier League or a Real Manchester in La Liga? Awful.
masqueraiding as a intelligent person
10:20, Thu 21 Dec
It will further advance the demise of football as an in-person spectator sport. The A22 clubs will likely get richer for a while but would be sowing the seeds of their own downfall and quite possibly their domestic leagues too.

The only fans A22 care about are people who are willing to pay to watch live football via TV or streaming. They don't care about the experience of supporters who go to games in-person. There will not be many able or willing to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to see away games. The atmosphere in the stadia will be soulless and that diminishes its attractiveness as a media product.
10:23, Thu 21 Dec
The "LIV" league will be midweek. Most likely with a grand final tournament at the end.
Probably replacing the proposed new Club World Cup.

The big clubs won't leave their domestic leagues. There's absolutely no chance of that. But the domestic cups will be squeezed.

A combination of money waved at them and lawsuits threatened if they don't will firmly encourage the FA and PL to fall in to place.
bluearmyfaction

What is 'political' about this judgement though? It's a fairly dry argument about competition law (and presumably freedom of movement for workers, like the Bosman ruling). How is that political other than in a very abstract way, given that free markets are essentially the point of the EU and is written into the laws? It's not really any more or less political than UK courts making judgements about tax law, mergers etc.
10:27, Thu 21 Dec
I think there's no doubt the supposed big clubs will leave if it ever goes through. The US owners are the ones pushing and the Saudis and Arabs don't give a shit about the EPL, they care about being the biggest clubs in the world.

As to the strength of our leagues, we'll definitely take a financial hit. The broadcasters would greatly reduce spending on a league with Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City etc and that would impact on the level of player. No doubt the EPL would become a feeder league.

But I'd imagine it would be more competitive and interesting and we wouldn't have to put up with the "big" clubs' constant threats. I'm also sure one or two would want out of it after a while. Would the fans of vile and Spurs be happy being bottom all the time?