The judgement is a fairly logical one in truth. Powerful people will invariably get what they want (as they did with the Brexit result) so we’re going to see some form of a breakaway league in the near future. I don’t support it but the sport has been out of control for some time.
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
10:45, Thu 21 Dec
I don't personally care if they do it or not. It's not going to make much difference to us. The standard of the Premier League has increased over recent times but that hasn't made anything more exciting.... Domestic football in the UK will remain hugely popular and whilst there might be slightly less eye-watering sums involved, there will still be enough demand to sustain it.
bluearmyfaction
And people STILL wonder why Britain voted Brexit.

The fannys on the ECJ are a prime reason for it. A court so intellectually vapid it makes the SCOTUS look competent. Its role is not judicial, but political, and this is further acquis communautaire. More power to the EU Commission, less to the people.

What in their ruling makes you suggest they are opposing the rights of "the people"? Surely this ruling flies against your complaints, given they've sided against the big institution in favour of individual freedom - in this case the clubs?
10:54, Thu 21 Dec
Sheep2
It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.
Other way around. This decision has said that the EU Commissioners now have jurisdiction over the organization of football. They have the right of veto and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

And THEY will hand over the game to the Saudis because FREE TRADE.
10:55, Thu 21 Dec
I am completely for it tbh, and I was when it first come about a few years ago. The only reason a lot of media were against it i.e sky/talk sport, was because they wasn't invited to the party. Some American firm had all the rights for it I believe. Had sky been part of the conversation in the first place and was able to position themselves in such a way to make huge profits from it, the outcome and feeling towards it would of been very different.

Both sides of the argument was basically money! The pro super league wanted to do it to make money, and the against argument was loss of money for the premier League. I'm afraid, if people are worried about the thought of super league because of the obscene amount of money that will be dished out, well I'm sorry but that boat sailed a long time ago.

If someone was to create a GENUINE poll and ask every football fan in this country about how they feel about it. I really wouldn't be surprised if an overwhelming majority didn't say they couldn't care less, as the gap from the prem to the champ is getting bigger and so is the championship to the rest of the EFL. So It would make any difference to most football fans.

I also remember a lot of the mainstream media were up in arms about Tottenham and Arsenal being in this pool of TOP teams for the super league, because they haven't won anything in Europe. Yet they were also shouting 'how can you have a European super league without PSG'? Which Is a very floored argument as they too have never won anything in Europe.

It will eventually happen and it won'be long until that all sky and talk sport talk about is the super league because they have negotiated themselves a deal.
bluer than blues
What in their ruling makes you suggest they are opposing the rights of "the people"? Surely this ruling flies against your complaints, given they've sided against the big institution in favour of individual freedom - in this case the clubs?
They've sided against regulation to make it a level playing field. And of course there has not been enough of that hitherto (other than between 1901 and 1961, and even THAT was borked) - but now it's impossible. Anyone suggesting that, say, La Liga needs a Premier League model of more equitable television money is going to be literally laughed out of Eurocourt. The intellectual dishonesty is that the EU wants to prevent a cartel - and, as it did with Bosman, is going to create one; only, unlike Bosman, it is going to be even tighter, and even more controlled by oligarchs.
10:56, Thu 21 Dec
number8
A bit deeper in the ruling says that UEFA/FIFA still have the right to set rules and have prior approval, It even mentions "equal opportunities and merit". In addition, the laws that have been found incompatible were changed last year.

There will probably be a super league in the end, but in the same framework as the other competitions.

The key thing a lot of people want is as mentioned above - if you go to the super league, you go full in and don't get to play in the Prem at the same time.

One hundred percent. I don't want Man Utd entering their B team/u18s in the prem. If they want out they can eff off out completely.
bluearmyfaction
Sheep2
It has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.
Other way around. This decision has said that the EU Commissioners now have jurisdiction over the organization of football. They have the right of veto and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

And THEY will hand over the game to the Saudis because FREE TRADE.

What does that even mean? How can they "hand over the game"? Are you saying the EU comms can stop football being played in the UK? In Spain? In Germany?

If you're speaking in a metaphorical sense then the UK has effectively handed over its game by allowing foreign wealth to come in. The PL, an English league, has done more to "damage" the game than any other European nation and our government has played its part in encouraging such foreign ownership - they actively intervened to allow the Saudis to take control of Newcastle.

I assume you applaud Wagner taking control of Blues? I'd no doubt for a second that he'd sign us up in we were in such a position because he'd see it as valuable for both his investments and possibly the city as a whole.

If you want to "protect the game", you should really sign up to a model that denounces anything other than fan ownership.
bluearmyfaction
bluer than blues
They've sided against regulation to make it a level playing field. And of course there has not been enough of that hitherto (other than between 1901 and 1961, and even THAT was borked) - but now it's impossible. Anyone suggesting that, say, La Liga needs a Premier League model of more equitable television money is going to be literally laughed out of Eurocourt. The intellectual dishonesty is that the EU wants to prevent a cartel - and, as it did with Bosman, is going to create one; only, unlike Bosman, it is going to be even tighter, and even more controlled by oligarchs.

So you're angry that they haven't enforced regulation. I thought the reason so many voted for Brexit was that they wanted less intervention and regulation?

They're only ruling on what an European competition could do. Ultimately the British government could create it's own ruling for it's club to stop football being, as you put it, handed away. But they obviously won't because they wouldn't want to annoy investors like the Saudis, Clearlake or indeed our very own Knighthead Capital.
11:11, Thu 21 Dec
Sheep2
The "LIV" league will be midweek. Most likely with a grand final tournament at the end.
Probably replacing the proposed new Club World Cup.

The big clubs won't leave their domestic leagues. There's absolutely no chance of that. But the domestic cups will be squeezed.

A combination of money waved at them and lawsuits threatened if they don't will firmly encourage the FA and PL to fall in to place.

So the threat really is to the Champs League and the Europa, which are quite frankly turning into their own kind of mess. Indeed, the new format of the ECL is ensuring the presence of the big clubs by stealth.
11:16, Thu 21 Dec
Interestingly, A22 are saying all games will be free to air.

So they must be confident advertising will provide all the money rather than broadcasters. Bit of a step change that.
11:31, Thu 21 Dec
As I said earlier, the only "fans" they care about are the global audience (of billions potentially) who will consume this content via TV/streaming. Global brands would pay a fortune for advertising in stadia and during commercial breaks.

What I do know is UEFA and/or FIFA will try and muscle in on this if they can. UEFA will probably try and extend the Champions League into a season long competition with promotion from and relegation to the domestic leagues.

It will likely happen now. If so, I would want a total separation i.e. any of our clubs that enter it are excluded from the FA and all domestic competitions. They should also be barred from having academies or signing any players under 18.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

A22 Already put in a new proposal

64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members

Women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues

I make that 3 leagues of 21 for the men (if home and away ties) thats 40 games a season, even if just 20 matches that would be a stretch.

Can't see that working for just midweek games with the winter break as well. Sounds more like a breakaway league to me than a rival to Champions league etc

But if not permanent members what happens when you get relegated from Div 3 if it was to be a breakaway league?

Can see them wanting to spread it over at least 3 midweek days also if it was to be midweek only for TV rights, fancy travelling to Azerbijan or Tashkent on a Thursday and coming back to play a Sunday Premier League match and then possibly another long flight the following week for another away match. Fans won't be able to do it very often and the players will be exhausted. Especially with FIFA's new Club Competition at the end of the season in 2025
11:35, Thu 21 Dec
Very much it's a threat to UEFA, not the EPL.

There is no way the big clubs want to kill that golden goose. They want more geese, not to swap.

I expect what they want is several divisions on 16-18 playing say 30 games a season.
The top few from each division then go to a grand final tournament with the top sides from Asia Africa and America.
Maybe 20 European sides plus 3 each plus a couple of teams from the hosts and last time's winners.

A celebration of Mohammed Bin Salman Al Saud.
Their proposal says 16 teams in the first 2 divisions and 32 in the lower one.

If they had a home and away format that would leave their 3rd division teams playing 62 league games a season. Can't see that being popular.

That is way too ambitious really.