22:05, Fri 29 Dec
TaylorJay84
Dave
TaylorJay84
TrickyBlue
TaylorJay84
TrickyBlue
I don’t think it was anything to do with Rooney admitting he doesn’t have the players. He was just desperate not to lose.

Tactically we were far more compact and had a low block.
With both James and Sunjic playing in the laps of the CBs, way more negative and less expansive than he has been setting us up.
Was quite clear to see.

My point was that i don’t think Rooney sees this as the way forward. He set us up like that to make sure we didn’t lose this game. We offered absolutely nothing up top.

I think he sees it as the best way to keep his job.
You’re right he was desperate to not get beat tonight, that was evident.
It was more fear football than no fear.

It makes it all the more ridiculous that we made the change in the first place.

Gary Cooks statement on the sacking of JE quoting no fear football is all the more embarrassing after how we approached the game tonight.

Incompetence from the CEO all round.

One thing I will say is the wording and statements put out by Cook were silly tbh.
WR was always up against it but saying daft stuff like that hasn’t helped one bit.
As any sensible blues fans will all agree on, evolution was needed not revolution.

Evolution was needed and I think we were evolving under JE and maybe a change next summer would have made sense if we stagnated under JE which in fairness was probably going to happen.

But making the change mid season, with that run of games and in the manner it was done….well, we’ve seen how it’s turned out.
22:07, Fri 29 Dec
It WAS absolutely bloody awful, and it was TOTAL fear football.
All I would say is there is no point, I guess, throwing good after bad.
We, and he, had to not lose this game, and in turning anything round you have to start somewhere.
He will no doubt hope to build on at least not losing.
I don’t think he will be able to build on it, as I don’t think WR has a clue how to set up a team to play progressive football, which is also successful. If he stays all season my opinion is we won’t survive.
That said it’s not a defeat. It was horrible, awful, dire stuff, but at least we set up not to lose.
His appalling tactics and, therefore, results made this approach tonight necessary/understandable, but at least he did it.
22:08, Fri 29 Dec
Rags
Couldn't make the game today as I had an important pool match.

The match thread appears to be old men arguing with each other. Can somebody under 40 tell me how Blues played? Seems an OK result.

Bristol painted two thirds of the ground
Blues painted one third of the ground
Crowd watched it dry.

Seriously… a genius of a comment…excellent couldn’t put it much better myself.

Regarding the ingenious comment of old men arguing… these old people had experienced more top flight football than second tier until 2011. Now the longest time elapsed since Blues have been outside the top league, so there is reasonable excuse for howls of protest as other West Midland clubs in the top two divisions seem to be doing more than ok?
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
22:11, Fri 29 Dec
TaylorJay84

I don't understand how he could think that this would make his job safer. We were told by many that Eustace was honest and told the owners that it would take time to evolve to a new style, therefore they ruthlessly sacked him and replaced him with someone who was going get this squad to start the switch to a new style of no fear/winning mentality football immediately. No matter how difficult it was he would stick to his guns and force this change of style because he was aware that the owners want it now and they can be ruthless if they don't get what they want.

So after 13 games of dross, in the above circumstances, adopting a 'fear' approach and taking a point at home against Brizzle with about 30% possession is surely going to put his job at risk as opposed to making it safer, is it not? Surely his job is safer if he sticks to the brief he was employed to implement? Something doesn't add up.
NotFitToLaceDeanPeersBoots
5 shots & 1 on target in 90 minutes tonight. We had 16 at Bristol in August and 6 on target. Says it all really how far we've gone backwards in 5 months

But,remember, we were playing dull, boring football under Eustace.
22:13, Fri 29 Dec
Another 5 years to go to top that BCFC record. 1985 to 2002….
[youtube.com]

Into The Shadows 2024 Tour Dates -

17 Feb - Theatre Severn, Shrewsbury
2 Mar - Taachi Morris Arts Centre, Taunton
30 Mar - Prince Of Wales Theatre, Cannock
20 Apr - Brewhouse Arts Centre, Burton on Trent
7 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
8 June - Theatre On The Steps, Bridgnorth
28 Sept - Exmouth Pavilion
18 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
19 Oct - Garrick Theatre, Lichfield
22:14, Fri 29 Dec
TaylorJay84

I don't understand how he could think that this would make his job safer. We were told by many that Eustace was honest and told the owners that it would take time to evolve to a new style, therefore they ruthlessly sacked him and replaced him with someone who was going get this squad to start the switch to a new style of no fear/winning mentality football immediately. No matter how difficult it was he would stick to his guns and force this change of style because he was aware that the owners want it now and they can be ruthless if they don't get what they want.

So after 13 games of dross, in the above circumstances, adopting a 'fear' approach and taking a point at home against Brizzle with about 30% possession is surely going to put his job at risk as opposed to making it safer, is it not? Surely his job is safer if he sticks to the brief he was employed to implement? Something doesn't add up.

I liked JE ....

I thought he had us playing above our actual ability ...

... but even i would have criticised JE for being negative if he had set the team up as WR did tonight
22:59, Fri 29 Dec
I still can’t fathom how we have managed to go from the free flowing exciting attacking football of Leicester and Plymouth to that.

I thought James was dreadful tonight was dreadful but Aiwu was pretty good. What happened did i step through the magic wardrobe??
23:04, Fri 29 Dec
Just got back. It's two hours of my life I won't get back.

Not as bad as Stoke or Coventry, but it feels odd that we're sort of celebrating a 0-0 against a solid but unspectacular Bristol City. They looked more like the home team to me, a little more likely to score, but there wasn't much in the way of shooting. Surprised they didn't keep targeting our right as they seemed to be getting a lot of joy there, but stopped applying pressure. Odd.

A positive for me was Aiwu, who had as good a game as I've seen him have in a Blues shirt.

Less positive? Our bombscare approach to playing out from the back. Call me a heathen, but if the players aren't ready for it, just get the ball out. I'm sure it was heading to double figures the number of times Bristol City forced us into a mistake when we were trying to play it out.

An aside: I took my 80 year old dad for the first time since pre-Covid, and he was taken aback with the ground. But we're in the newly repaired seats and he was in a lot of discomfort. Ironically, they seem to have gone for nicer seats, at the cost of actual room to sit in them!

20th place, then. Table doesn't lie, sadly.
00:30, Sat 30 Dec
That was one seriously odd performance. Manager’s won 2 games since taking over and we’ll certainly be beaten in the next game. No real attempt to win the game and I was under the impression we sacked the last manager for being too negative?
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
00:49, Sat 30 Dec
Dave
TaylorJay84
Dave
TaylorJay84
TrickyBlue
TaylorJay84
TrickyBlue
I don’t think it was anything to do with Rooney admitting he doesn’t have the players. He was just desperate not to lose.

Tactically we were far more compact and had a low block.
With both James and Sunjic playing in the laps of the CBs, way more negative and less expansive than he has been setting us up.
Was quite clear to see.

My point was that i don’t think Rooney sees this as the way forward. He set us up like that to make sure we didn’t lose this game. We offered absolutely nothing up top.

It makes it all the more ridiculous that we made the change in the first place.

Gary Cooks statement on the sacking of JE quoting no fear football is all the more embarrassing after how we approached the game tonight.

Incompetence from the CEO all round.

One thing I will say is the wording and statements put out by Cook were silly tbh.
WR was always up against it but saying daft stuff like that hasn’t helped one bit.
As any sensible blues fans will all agree on, evolution was needed not revolution.

Evolution was needed and I think we were evolving under JE and maybe a change next summer would have made sense if we stagnated under JE which in fairness was probably going to happen.

But making the change mid season, with that run of games and in the manner it was done….well, we’ve seen how it’s turned out.

And was predicted by many. But there were also plenty who wanted the revolution promised by appointing Rooney who oddly thought this squad could play like Man City.