11:21, Wed 3 Jan
TaylorJay84
Rab C Nesbitt
mr_crosby
Nikola Zigic
Llanon_joe
Chris
He has just won a European Championships - I can't believe we think we can be overly dismissive of somebody with that on their CV.

I really like the idea of carsley tbh. Wouldn't be my first pick but would definitely be ahead of mowbrey. He's the kind of character that the fans can get behind and understands what the fans want. Above all that, from what I've read, he has a good reputation within the England set up. Fairy young with plenty of scope for long term progression for the club. We could do a lot worse and have done a lot worse

I think there's a positive that Ashley Cole may stay and we won't have to pay him off too.

He’s done a great job with the defence since he’s been here.

Oh
Set piece coach here apparently. Massively underwhelmed with him

Without sounding like a prize prat Rab!
Does he focus on the attacking ones or the defensive ones or does his hefty wage cover both 😜
Just goal kicks
Tony Fantastico
11:22, Wed 3 Jan
Rab C Nesbitt
TaylorJay84
Rab C Nesbitt
mr_crosby
Nikola Zigic
Llanon_joe
Chris
He has just won a European Championships - I can't believe we think we can be overly dismissive of somebody with that on their CV.

I really like the idea of carsley tbh. Wouldn't be my first pick but would definitely be ahead of mowbrey. He's the kind of character that the fans can get behind and understands what the fans want. Above all that, from what I've read, he has a good reputation within the England set up. Fairy young with plenty of scope for long term progression for the club. We could do a lot worse and have done a lot worse

I think there's a positive that Ashley Cole may stay and we won't have to pay him off too.

He’s done a great job with the defence since he’s been here.

Oh
Set piece coach here apparently. Massively underwhelmed with him

Without sounding like a prize prat Rab!
Does he focus on the attacking ones or the defensive ones or does his hefty wage cover both 😜
Just goal kicks

Explains why they keep going out of play then 🙄
Rab C Nesbitt
My Blue Heaven
No, I quoted newblue assertion that is what we are.

We need to stop being an underdog and become a giant schnauzer
We’ll be an XL bastard bully

Always thought of Blues as a Shih Tzu.
Up the feckin Blues
Bluesince62
Rab C Nesbitt
My Blue Heaven
No, I quoted newblue assertion that is what we are.

We need to stop being an underdog and become a giant schnauzer
We’ll be an XL bastard bully

Always thought of Blues as a Shih Tzu.

👏👏

Bet you had to Google the spelling, mind 😉
11:34, Wed 3 Jan
Rasputin
TaylorJay84
He does set pieces

I can't remember us being any good at them whilst he has been here, defending or attacking...

Scored off a corner at Plymouth but other than that I just remember Bacuna perpetually hiring their first man.
11:42, Wed 3 Jan
newblue
Rasputin
TaylorJay84
He does set pieces

I can't remember us being any good at them whilst he has been here, defending or attacking...

Scored off a corner at Plymouth but other than that I just remember Bacuna perpetually hiring their first man.

Not just Bacuna, Myagi was also a master of it
What did the Knights in White satin?
12:03, Wed 3 Jan
Sorry if this has been flagged in one of the 732628 threads, but there's an article with some insight into yesterday's events on The Athletic today: [theathletic.com]

For those too tight to take out a membership:

- Rooney was shocked; lots of open comms between he and Cook, no hint that faith in him from above was waning
- Players told ahead of training yesterday; news was greeted with surprise, but relief by a few
- The squad had felt the sacking of Eustace had been unnecessary.
- Rooney wasn’t unpopular with his players, despite the results and some strong public criticism of them from the manager. Criticism of their mental strength, ability and personal pride had stung a few.
- Like many great players who become managers, Rooney had become increasingly frustrated when his players seemed unable to do what he found simple and second nature on the pitch
- Rooney not overly hands-on in training, with most work left to Carl Robinson and O'Shea. Rooney took a watching brief and intervened when he saw something he wanted to tweak or press home.
- Cole worked on set pieces.
- Squad surprised Rooney didn't do more with our attacking players 1v1
- Rooney struggled to get the rest of his group fully on board with the game plans, which frequently changed as he simplified them again and again.
- Eustace felt that a switch to no-fear football was too soon for a young group of players that were just getting used to a way of playing he felt was best suited to them
- Rooney quickly realised they weren't ready to play out from the back with high full-backs.
- Before Christmas, Rooney invited media to watch training to show them that players were capable and they just weren't replicating it in matches
- Whilst some players wanted to push on, there was a sense that others were coasting along
- Many staff members at the training ground disappointed Rooney has left
- Cook spent yesterday assessing options, but no immediate decision is thought to be occuring.
- Cooper and Potter mentioned, but dismissed quickly.
- We won't go back for Eusatce
- Lee Carsley gets an interestingly long write-up
- "England under-21 head coach Lee Carsley could be a candidate that ticks many of the boxes. Born in Birmingham, the 49-year-old has played and coached at the club in the past and would be popular with the fans. The way his young England side play is also in line with the club’s vision and he has experience coaching young players. Cole also works with Carsley in the England set-up."

Don't say I don't do anything for you.

Thanks Chris - appreciated
12:04, Wed 3 Jan
Thanks Chris.
Tall
Not just Bacuna, Myagi was also a master of it

It must have been the lesser known of Mr Miyagi’s lessons.

1) Wax on wax off
2) paint the fence
3) hit the first man in the wall.

..LOL 😤😤
12:08, Wed 3 Jan
Interesting article. I also think the guardian piece elsewhere in the thread is actually pretty fair, although it seems to have upset a few.

Higher profile = more publicity.

But if you’re not winning it is unlikely to be good publicity no matter what else happens around the club. No interest in re-opening the debate about whether Eustace was the right man, but I don’t think it can seriously be disputed at this stage that Rooney wasn’t.

I hope the next manager is selected on the basis of his ability to develop the football team.
Llanon_joe
Chris

I’d be completely underwhelmed and concerned if we appointed Carsley.

I appreciate this may come from bias - a close friend who played under Carlsey at City’s academy maintains he is the worst coach he has ever played for.

No doubt he has improved, his time with the u21’s has been successful but as Mod mentions he has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal.

I fear if we get 2/3 deep in to the list of candidates without success he could become a genuine candidate - he is also very good friends CG.
13:24, Wed 3 Jan
La Fine Della Strada
Llanon_joe
Chris

I’d be completely underwhelmed and concerned if we appointed Carsley.

I appreciate this may come from bias - a close friend who played under Carlsey at City’s academy maintains he is the worst coach he has ever played for.

No doubt he has improved, his time with the u21’s has been successful but as Mod mentions he has an embarrassment of riches at his disposal.

I fear if we get 2/3 deep in to the list of candidates without success he could become a genuine candidate - he is also very good friends CG.

I don't have a strong opinion either way on if Carsley would be a good option but it is a quite a different job coaching at any international level vs the equivalent at club level. He might still be a terrible coach on a day to day basis, or dealing with players less able than he is getting for the England U21s.
13:26, Wed 3 Jan
Definitely if Cole is anything to go by. He came to us highly rated I think, and he’s been nothing short of dire.
13:30, Wed 3 Jan
Bluenose27
Definitely if Cole is anything to go by. He came to us highly rated I think, and he’s been nothing short of dire.

Tbf, he’s been waiting for someone to come in during the window who can kick a dead ball past the first man.