09:28, Fri 16 Feb
Don't wanna jinx it but England off to a flyer in reply to India's 445.
At this rate they'll reach that score in 75 overs.
Duckett 68 off 50 balls.
Test cricket is changing and England are the architects of the new blueprint.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
09:33, Fri 16 Feb
Yeah, however we still lose wickets in large clumps, despite getting off to flyers. Dropped catches have cost us a chance to be ahead of the game. Still plenty of hope, but we could have had them 43-4 at one stage.
09:35, Fri 16 Feb
And there's the first Ray
Oops .... Crawley , oh fekk it !
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
09:38, Fri 16 Feb
There's more than on way to skin a cat, and to play the way England play you have to have put in the hard yards your whole career to have those skills. India and Aus don't play the way England do , and are arguably better.

However, the way England play is by far the most entertaining and it's that which can save test cricket. You just can't play this way all the time. And I hope Root doesn't.
09:42, Fri 16 Feb
I love test cricket over every other format and you're right England's method will generate new interest.
Root needs a good knock.
10:17, Fri 16 Feb
Duckett is playing beautifully
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality
10:28, Fri 16 Feb
Oldham
There's more than on way to skin a cat, and to play the way England play you have to have put in the hard yards your whole career to have those skills. India and Aus don't play the way England do , and are arguably better.

However, the way England play is by far the most entertaining and it's that which can save test cricket. You just can't play this way all the time. And I hope Root doesn't.

Jarrod Kimber made interesting points the other week - I like him.

He said England are just coming at it arse-backwards from a conventional viewpoint.

Their focus is entirely based on taking 20 wickets in each match because you can't win without doing that. Runs when batting are only a means to an end.

If they bat first they want to get runs quickly and get out of there giving themselves time to get the 20 wickets, if they bat second it's about doing everything to get the 20 wickets and ending up leaving themselves a target - which they will chase whatever it is.

The notion of "first making sure you are not going to lose" just doesn't come into it.

It's a shame dear old Warney died so young, he would have absolutely loved this shit. This is the sort of philosophy he always reckoned he would have had - but never really got the chance to show it because Oz would never have dreamt of making him captain.
10:32, Fri 16 Feb
think they've been much better at finding a balance, Crawley and Pope playing more sensibly and tbh bar one or two balls Duckett has been in control this morning.

the way it will rattle the opposition bowlers and captain, especially in their home conditions, also creates an advantage.
10:36, Fri 16 Feb
Well played Ben Duckett. Brilliant. Keep going!!
10:36, Fri 16 Feb
Fantastic from Duckett.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:40, Fri 16 Feb
Pffttt.

82 of his hundred in boundaries.

We need a Sibley type to "just bat balls". "Just batting balls" is what wins matches apparently.
10:41, Fri 16 Feb
credit to both Duckett and Crawley, the 'who should open' discourse is dead and buried for now
10:44, Fri 16 Feb
I think Rasputin's jury is still out on Crawley. 🤡
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
10:54, Fri 16 Feb
Spike
Oldham

Jarrod Kimber made interesting points the other week - I like him.

He said England are just coming at it arse-backwards from a conventional viewpoint.

Their focus is entirely based on taking 20 wickets in each match because you can't win without doing that. Runs when batting are only a means to an end.

If they bat first they want to get runs quickly and get out of there giving themselves time to get the 20 wickets, if they bat second it's about doing everything to get the 20 wickets and ending up leaving themselves a target - which they will chase whatever it is.

The notion of "first making sure you are not going to lose" just doesn't come into it.

It's a shame dear old Warney died so young, he would have absolutely loved this shit. This is the sort of philosophy he always reckoned he would have had - but never really got the chance to show it because Oz would never have dreamt of making him captain.

Jarrod Kimber is ace, his way of viewing the game is so eye-opening and so well presented.

He did an amazing piece about the most influential cricketer in the last 30 years (or something) being Neil Wagner. It was so wel done that I think it may be true.
10:59, Fri 16 Feb
Oldham

Jarrod Kimber is ace, his way of viewing the game is so eye-opening and so well presented.

Yeah, he's a geek - but he only uses the stats to try and prove a point which he then puts into a form that you can understand and is based on loving cricket rather than just disappearing up your own arse statistically. As you say - it's great presentation.

He is brilliant, and wasted having to deal with Darren Gough.