12:48, Wed 21 Feb
HackneyBlue
Some fans did not accept him, not all as the quote might suggest.

Otherwise not much to argue with in those quotes

đź‘Ť He hasn't said anything wrong apart from the above tbh.
Up the feckin Blues
12:56, Wed 21 Feb
Latest Birmingham City news from BirminghamLive as Wayne Rooney discusses his Blues departure with Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Jamie Carragher and Jill Scott

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

Four failed football managers having a discussion about why it's always someone else's fault and not their own.

He can try and rewrite the history of his time at Blues all he likes, but he failed. He failed. He failed, and he failed miserably. There was hardly a moment when he even convinced anyone apart from his own groupies that he was advancing. He started badly, and in the main got worse. He must have tried 5 or 6 different approaches in his 15 matches here and not one of them worked.

If he thinks managing Birmingham constitutes "starting at the bottom" and that his "name" had nothing to do with him getting the gig then he's delusional. Birmingham appointing Rooney was a ridiculous decision. It was nepotism, deluded and flew in the face of all the evidence of any previous managerial achievement.

He failed because, whilst at Blues, he made every possible mistake it's possible to make.

Even Zola had the balls to stick to his own ideas .... Rooney seemed to be basing his approach on some lucky-dip-what-we-going-to-try-next fairground lottery.

There was nothing, to me, in his time at Blues that he did well. Nothing at all.

To now turn round - and i listened to the interview just now - and blame

1.. Eustace had done too well
2.. Fans never gave me a chance
3.. Blues are not a stable club
4.. Owners didn't gift him the players he wanted
5.. Planet Mars hadn't entered Aquarius and the moon and the stars weren't aligned

... what a load of old shit.

He should be telling it as it is .... "i was fecking lucky to get the job considering how shite i've been in every managerial position so far - and i spent 15 matches proving why i'm a shite manager"

Deluded prIck
12:56, Wed 21 Feb
HackneyBlue
Some fans did not accept him, not all as the quote might suggest.

Otherwise not much to argue with in those quotes

đź‘Ť He hasn't said anything wrong apart from the above tbh.

Don't base it on the quotes ... listen to the interview
13:19, Wed 21 Feb
HackneyBlue
Nothing to argue with there really

This is correct
13:22, Wed 21 Feb
Tbf Zola definitely didn’t stick to his own ideas/ideals. His time was up when bottled it for me. Like Rooney. Like Clotet and I lost faith in Eustace too after going long ball after Christmas 2022. You can’t believe in someone who doesn’t believe in themselves and when your eyes tell you it’s a mess
Tony Fantastico
14:57, Wed 21 Feb
Few points

I think Rooney is completely right that some fans didn't warm to him from day one. Fully get that there was a solid base of home & away supporters who don't fit this but the casual fans and armchair supporters who make up a lot of the social media noise were hateful from day dot and it became more and more poisonous.

He was an absolute fool to take a job on if he had any inkling that Blues were in a false position, especially if he was being told to play more attractive, passing football. Football managers get zero time to bed in and he was likely to be under pressure as soon as the results evened themselves out. Let's not forget though he wasn't exactly helped by injuries.

Problem then was the injuries, the tactically tinkering, the general lack of confidence from fans and players led to the inevitable. He was stupid to take the job on when he did and it probably has killed his chance of another gig anywhere decent now.

Going back to false position. Yes were were in 6th on merit but if you consider who we hadn't played at that point it is fair point. Looking back at Rooney's first 5 matches you gauge how tough those matches were based on 2/3rds of season

Boro - 13th
Hull - 6th
Southampton - 4th
Ipswich - 3rd
Sunderland - 10th

It was calamitous timing and a short period in our history we are best to try and forget.
14:59, Wed 21 Feb
đź‘Ť
Tony Fantastico
15:43, Wed 21 Feb
Just on the false position, based on the 17 games we've had under Mowbray and Eustace were averaging 1.65 points per game.

Over a season that has you on 76 points, good enough to finish 5th or 6th.

Obviously that's not a full season and is skewed by Rooney having to play Southampton + Leeds away and Ipswich at home.

However it goes to show that with two competent managers it's not outrageous to think we'd have spent the season on the periphery of the playoffs.
H

Consistently correct.
15:47, Wed 21 Feb
Rags
Latest Birmingham City news from BirminghamLive as Wayne Rooney discusses his Blues departure with Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Jamie Carragher and Jill Scott

[www.birminghammail.co.uk]

Four failed football managers having a discussion about why it's always someone else's fault and not their own.

He can try and rewrite the history of his time at Blues all he likes, but he failed. He failed. He failed, and he failed miserably. There was hardly a moment when he even convinced anyone apart from his own groupies that he was advancing. He started badly, and in the main got worse. He must have tried 5 or 6 different approaches in his 15 matches here and not one of them worked.

If he thinks managing Birmingham constitutes "starting at the bottom" and that his "name" had nothing to do with him getting the gig then he's delusional. Birmingham appointing Rooney was a ridiculous decision. It was nepotism, deluded and flew in the face of all the evidence of any previous managerial achievement.

He failed because, whilst at Blues, he made every possible mistake it's possible to make.

Even Zola had the balls to stick to his own ideas .... Rooney seemed to be basing his approach on some lucky-dip-what-we-going-to-try-next fairground lottery.

There was nothing, to me, in his time at Blues that he did well. Nothing at all.

To now turn round - and i listened to the interview just now - and blame

1.. Eustace had done too well
2.. Fans never gave me a chance
3.. Blues are not a stable club
4.. Owners didn't gift him the players he wanted
5.. Planet Mars hadn't entered Aquarius and the moon and the stars weren't aligned

... what a load of old shit.

He should be telling it as it is .... "i was fecking lucky to get the job considering how shite i've been in every managerial position so far - and i spent 15 matches proving why i'm a shite manager"

Deluded prIck

Can you just remind me, were you in the sceptical but hoping they were wrong, or unhinged and hostile camp? Can’t quite remember.
16:33, Wed 21 Feb
GBBlue
Few points

I think Rooney is completely right that some fans didn't warm to him from day one. Fully get that there was a solid base of home & away supporters who don't fit this but the casual fans and armchair supporters who make up a lot of the social media noise were hateful from day dot and it became more and more poisonous.

He was an absolute fool to take a job on if he had any inkling that Blues were in a false position, especially if he was being told to play more attractive, passing football. Football managers get zero time to bed in and he was likely to be under pressure as soon as the results evened themselves out. Let's not forget though he wasn't exactly helped by injuries.

Problem then was the injuries, the tactically tinkering, the general lack of confidence from fans and players led to the inevitable. He was stupid to take the job on when he did and it probably has killed his chance of another gig anywhere decent now.

Going back to false position. Yes were were in 6th on merit but if you consider who we hadn't played at that point it is fair point. Looking back at Rooney's first 5 matches you gauge how tough those matches were based on 2/3rds of season

Boro - 13th
Hull - 6th
Southampton - 4th
Ipswich - 3rd
Sunderland - 10th

It was calamitous timing and a short period in our history we are best to try and forget.

feel it was ultimately doomed the moment Garry Cook put the 'no fear football' barb out there, it hung like and albatross around Rooney's neck from the moment he was unveiled

he had to play in a different way, a better way - this was further reinforced at the Open House

he had to do it with existing players who I think we can all agree weren't suited or capable of delivering on that

all against a backdrop of 'what was wrong with the last bloke' lack of acceptance from most fans (even if it wasnt overt we never warmed to each other, head ruled hearts and deep down we knew he was shite)

Rooney probably has more right to feel he was set up to fail by the owners than the fault of the fans....easier to talk about not being given a fair shake by the fans though

with hindsight he should have called out the unrealistic expectations early and been pragmatic with his set up and unapologetic about doing so .......then got the 3/4 midfielders the squad needed to play more football in January (pretty much what Mowbray was able to do) ....he's inexperienced as a manager and that's where it showed as much as anywhere

in the who's to blame pie chart Garry Cook has a large slice with his name on it
16:50, Wed 21 Feb
GBBlue

Boro - 13th
Hull - 6th
Southampton - 4th
Ipswich - 3rd
Sunderland - 10th

But equally all but Ipswich were below where we were when he started at the point we played them. Boro were 16th, Hull were 12th, Soton 5th (so level), Sunderland 8th. I'm not really convinced that anyone other than Southampton - who we actually gave a decent game second half - were particularly difficult games given the mediocrity of the Championship. And you could say the pre-Rooney position involved beating Leeds (now 2nd) and Baggies (now 5th). Plus we just beat Sunderland at home.

If those games appeared difficult, it was partly because of the poison chalice he was given.
A very good point
H

Consistently correct.
The Devlin Disguise
GBBlue

Boro - 13th
Hull - 6th
Southampton - 4th
Ipswich - 3rd
Sunderland - 10th

But equally all but Ipswich were below where we were when he started at the point we played them. Boro were 16th, Hull were 12th, Soton 5th (so level), Sunderland 8th. I'm not really convinced that anyone other than Southampton - who we actually gave a decent game second half - were particularly difficult games given the mediocrity of the Championship. And you could say the pre-Rooney position involved beating Leeds (now 2nd) and Baggies (now 5th). Plus we just beat Sunderland at home.

If those games appeared difficult, it was partly because of the poison chalice he was given.
You’ve missed out Leeds being injury ravaged and us being fortunate to beat Plymouth and Albion for 2. And all using only early games is daft. Those teams we played were tough games.
And where were Norwich and Watford to name 2 who beat us?
If providing balance, be balanced.
We started the season well in the main but we did the season before over a longer sample. It happens. Rowetts teams often do it
Tony Fantastico
I don't particularly disagree - all I mean really is the Championship is mostly a much of a muchness, so it's not like Rooney had it massively tough. In the end he had 15 odd games and got a points tally that would comfortably have us relegated, so we can safely conclude he wasn't very good (especially when compared to the points tally either side) and/or was just the wrong appointment at the wrong time.

That said I'm not sure I buy us being 'lucky' to beat Plymouth being as we stuck in the game in a way we just didn't under Rooney and then used Stansfield really well. Albion too to a lesser extent - the penalty was lucky, but we played really well in that game.

On your question, Norwich were above us (8th vs. 10th) but Watford way behind us (18th vs. 4th - albeit only after 5 games at that point, so a bit meaningless as you say). But then for balance we were 'unlucky' not to get something at Watford anyway, but for a sending off and two really late goals.

Maybe we were in a bit of a 'false position' before him (play offs were always a long shot), but we've shown we were in a misleadingly false position with him, as we're way better than 0.66 points a game.
No issue with me when you say we underperformed with him. He was wank. And as I said at the time, I knew that we were in trouble after his second game (Hull) when he said the players couldn’t play like he wanted so he’d go more direct. He then started Juke I think at Southampton. Every game after that involved a different style pretty much.
Tony Fantastico