14:58, Sun 31 Mar
Rags
As var has been mentioned I will say it encourages these leg across and stay down after contact incidents.
As a fan at a Prem ground the breaks would get right on my tits

My original post didn't mention whether or not it was a penalty or not by the way - just that Gordon will end up getting himself hurt doing that
That’s why I mentioned bravery earlier. He knew he was going to get mullered. Not many would do what he did. Certainly in our bloody side
Tony Fantastico
14:59, Sun 31 Mar
Rags
So, what you're saying is that all these professional referees have looked at it several times and given a penalty.

And in your opinion they're all wrong.

Current referees aren't allowed to comment

So far i've found

"Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey" - definitely not a penalty he says

"Ex-FIFA official Keith Hackett" - 100% not a penalty

Sorry Ian, Sorry Rab .... but it ain't a penalty.

(Obviously i'm happy to see these given against West Ham as they have always got right my tits)
Is this possibly the most split any var decision has been you reckon?

Not sure - i think people are colouring their views based on pre-conceived views, misconceptions and loyalties etc and we're not completely in a place where people can comment "with hindsight"

... but in the cold light of day there's no way that should be given...
14:59, Sun 31 Mar
Lots disagree mate.
Tony Fantastico
15:02, Sun 31 Mar
Rags
As var has been mentioned I will say it encourages these leg across and stay down after contact incidents.

My original post didn't mention whether or not it was a penalty or not by the way - just that Gordon will end up getting himself hurt doing that
That’s why I mentioned bravery earlier. He knew he was going to get mullered. Not many would do what he did. Certainly in our bloody side

I thought i was clever doing it back in the 70s --- worked too --- then got a bad ankle injury doing it (got the pen though) -- wasn't worth it after that.
15:02, Sun 31 Mar
Rab C Nesbitt
Lots disagree mate.

And when Hackett and Halsey are saying it wasn't that only serves to make me more convinced that it was.
15:03, Sun 31 Mar
I think what will happen is that you'll get a lot more players doing it, especially in the box where the risk is worth it and they know it'll go to VAR.

As Rab said, it's a pretty brave thing to do.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
15:07, Sun 31 Mar
Dirty Bertie
Rab C Nesbitt
Lots disagree mate.

And when Hackett and Halsey are saying it wasn't that only serves to make me more convinced that it was.
You old cynic 😁
Tony Fantastico
15:10, Sun 31 Mar
Rags
Rags

I thought i was clever doing it back in the 70s --- worked too --- then got a bad ankle injury doing it (got the pen though) -- wasn't worth it after that.
You get a bad ankle knock and you’re always wary after. If I go over slightly on my right, I always expect to hear that ‘pop’ you get from doing ligaments
Tony Fantastico
15:21, Sun 31 Mar
I think what will happen is that you'll get a lot more players doing it, especially in the box where the risk is worth it and they know it'll go to VAR.

You really need to look at it a different way though .... move the physical position of the players to a different part of the pitch ... if Phillips was through on goal, mid shot and Gordon deliberately (and let's not pretend this was accidental) puts his leg (mid-shot) in the way of his shooting leg (mid-shot), with no intention, or possibility, of playing the ball then it's a foul aginst Gordon all day long.

Everyone would agree with that .... and therefore this is a foul FOR Phillips, not a penalty
15:24, Sun 31 Mar
I wouldn’t agree with that. It would be great defending.
Tony Fantastico
15:29, Sun 31 Mar
I wouldn’t agree with that. It would be great defending.

... okay, let's take that route .... so, you think that would be a foul AGAINST the striker ?
15:42, Sun 31 Mar
Yeah foul to the defender.
100% truth if I was Phillips I would’ve been fuming with myself and would know I’ve given a pen away
Tony Fantastico
15:48, Sun 31 Mar
Rags

Le Mod did though which is what really started this.

Saw you played the ‘people who played the game at a decent level card’ 😁. Obviously you haven’t watched any football show for the last 40 years and more,and listened to all the ex pros who played the game at a level somewhat higher but are quite capable of talking balderdadh too.
16:04, Sun 31 Mar
Rags

You really need to look at it a different way though .... move the physical position of the players to a different part of the pitch ... if Phillips was through on goal, mid shot and Gordon deliberately (and let's not pretend this was accidental) puts his leg (mid-shot) in the way of his shooting leg (mid-shot), with no intention, or possibility, of playing the ball then it's a foul aginst Gordon all day long.

Everyone would agree with that .... and therefore this is a foul FOR Phillips, not a penalty

You're wrong, as evidenced on the day by the ref who *changed his decision* having reviewed it himself.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
23:35, Sun 31 Mar
Rags

You're wrong, as evidenced on the day by the ref who *changed his decision* having reviewed it himself.

Ian or Rab ... you changed your minds yet ? ... you will do eventually.

What is a trip ? ... a player deliberately puts his leg in front of another player's leg, in motion, with no attempt to play the ball, to stop that leg moving forward.

Forget the first panalty, in which there is an argument, as i've agreed all along, that Gordon was attempting to get to the ball.

The second penalty ? clear as anything, not a penalty. It's a foul on Phillips. Gordon has reached his leg round hooked his ankle effectively. No attempt to play the ball.

You're looking at it as a West ham player connecting with a Newcastle player. You're not looking at the action itself, which is undoubtedly, Gordon sticking his foot in-between the ball and Phillips, with no intention of playing the ball, so why is that different from a trip ?

Imagine Phillips wasn't clearing it, and he went to take a step and run after the ball, he clips Gordon's outstretched leg, and goes down, who is the foul on ? There is still contact, it's still caused by Phillips moving his leg into Gordon's, but no one would ever doubt that it's a foul by Gordon.

100% a foul by Gordon, not on Gordon. Gordon doesn’t touch the ball, doesn't even try yo touch the ball, and he deliberately impedes Phillips from clearing it