07:43, Mon 1 Apr
Are you saying that it would not be a foul if, say, an attacker kicked the leg away of a defender who was shielding the ball out for a goal kick?

To be "playing" the ball a player doesn't have to be touching the ball but by being the nearest to it in those circumstances, and in Gordon's case, he is deemed to be in n control.
08:00, Mon 1 Apr
Gordon was not in control at any point though, he just sticks one leg around, from behind Phillips, he doesn’t even get goal side because he sticks his leg in between Phillips’ two legs, Phillips is still the closest to the ball when the contact was made (left foot)

Linked Image

The first one I haven’t got much a problem with because it’s Gordon’s ball, he’s closest and he does have control, fine to give a penalty there. The two incidents are not exactly the same, at all.

Linked Image
Happy Clapper
08:07, Mon 1 Apr
He doesn’t touch the ball in the first one, nor does he try to. Which is his right. He gets his leg across to block Coufal kicking the ball so he kicks Gordon .
Stills never show the full story in situations like this.
These situations aren’t new but are usually outside the box. A player regularly uses their legs or body to block a player playing the ball, and they regularly get free kicks. Davis did it for us, McGinns arse and legs does it for vile. Saka does it
Tony Fantastico
08:09, Mon 1 Apr
Gordon was the closest to the ball in the first one when the contact is made

Gordon is not the closest to the ball in the second one when the contact is made
Happy Clapper
08:13, Mon 1 Apr
His leg is closer to the ball than the leg Phillips kicks him with. You can’t kick through a man to get the ball.
Anyway I’ve got bets to put on. Breakfast to eat. Need a beard trim, a shower, got to iron and buy some bog paper.
See you later 😉
Tony Fantastico
08:17, Mon 1 Apr
There’s no attempt to get to the ball in the second one and Phillips is still closest to the ball. Gordon is the closest to the ball in the first one and it about to take it. They’re not the same incident at all. Anyway, yeah, off out now, see you on the other side 🤞🏽
Happy Clapper
09:20, Mon 1 Apr
I thought the 2nd one looked like a penalty in real time, because of the way Gordon went down.

The replay looked like a clear attempted trip by Gordon - no attempt to play the ball or get in control of it. Philips mistake was not being cuter and throwing himself over Gordon's leg, to get the free kick.
09:49, Mon 1 Apr
Gordon is closest to the ball when Phillips kicks him. In fact, he’s between him and the ball. If a player is shielding a ball he isn’t trying to ‘get it’, and the opposition can’t kick the player to actually get it, whatever the temptation. You do it deliberately, it’s a foul and a booking. Do it accidentally, it’s a foul. I don’t get what you are getting.
09:50, Mon 1 Apr
Snoop
I thought the 2nd one looked like a penalty in real time, because of the way Gordon went down.

The replay looked like a clear attempted trip by Gordon - no attempt to play the ball or get in control of it. Philips mistake was not being cuter and throwing himself over Gordon's leg, to get the free kick.

There was no attempted trip
09:55, Mon 1 Apr
newblue
Snoop

There was no attempted trip

But he did deliberately put his leg in front of Philips with no attempt to play the ball, intending that Philips would make contact with his leg?
10:11, Mon 1 Apr
I think he tried to play the ball but didn’t reach it. He didn’t foul Phillips in doing so. Phillips booted his ankle. That’s where the foul occurred.
Gordon is allowed to put his leg where he likes anyway. Phillips isn’t allowed to boot him even if he played the ball.
A player can deliberately get in the way of a player without it being a foul.
Tony Fantastico
11:30, Mon 1 Apr
Rab C Nesbitt
I think he tried to play the ball but didn’t reach it. He didn’t foul Phillips in doing so. Phillips booted his ankle. That’s where the foul occurred.
Gordon is allowed to put his leg where he likes anyway. Phillips isn’t allowed to boot him even if he played the ball.
A player can deliberately get in the way of a player without it being a foul.

To me it looked like he didn't go for the ball, just tried to get his leg in the way.

I agree players can get in the way without it being a foul, this just doesn't seem like it to me. If Phillips had fallen and Gordon hadn't, then I think there would be a lot less argument - even more so if it had been a goal scoring chance for Philips.
12:06, Mon 1 Apr
IanT
So, what you're saying is that all these professional referees have looked at it several times and given a penalty.

And in your opinion they're all wrong.

You deliver this in a patronising tone which indicates they couldn't possibly be wrong. Which would be fine had they not sent about 23 letters of apology to clubs this season. It's very, very possible that they collectively got it wrong.
13:04, Mon 1 Apr
Gordon is closest to the ball when Phillips kicks him. In fact, he’s between him and the ball. If a player is shielding a ball he isn’t trying to ‘get it’, and the opposition can’t kick the player to actually get it, whatever the temptation. You do it deliberately, it’s a foul and a booking. Do it accidentally, it’s a foul. I don’t get what you are getting.

Noted to never listen to your opinion about football incidents ever again

Surely you and Rab are just on the wind up still claiming that the second one is a penalty ?
13:08, Mon 1 Apr
Gordon is allowed to put his leg where he likes anyway.

Defininitely a wind up now .... let's hope when a Blues player is running through on goal and a Preston player plonks his leg immediately in front of his running leg and trips him up that the ref doesn't agree that a player is allowed to "put his leg wherever he likes" without it being a foul