20:14, Wed 15 May
Why can’t it just be finessed? Auto offside with built in margin of error.

Otherwise 1 review per match instigated by the manager only for handball or penalty. If decision is reversed you keep review otherwise tought luck.

I still think big clubs got far more refs decisions in the pre VAR days. We got stinking decisions in Leicester home and Southampton away games last year. I don’t really like the idea of regression.
20:15, Wed 15 May
I’d assume (and hope) that automatic offsides will still be used. They’re ready from next season I believe.

If it does get fully scrapped I can’t wait for the uproar when somebody gets called offside in a big game despite being a yard on, or when somebody gets absolutely scythed down but none of the officials see it.
20:16, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
[www.skysports.com]

VAR has led to a 14% fall in errors in major decisions.

Does anyone really want a return to more gross errors like Bowyer being called offside in the Carling Cup Final?

Better communication would make VAR a lot better.
Full of baloney. With var officials don’t have to make decisions so that figure is misleading. As is saying fans are in favour of it.
After that didn’t read any more.
It was brought in to eliminate errors. It hasn’t. And sometimes has contributed to them
Tony Fantastico
20:23, Wed 15 May
Of course if you won't read about how the decisions are assessed it's easy to dismiss any data.

I agree the fan survey looks a bit suspect.

It can't eliminate errors. It can minimise factual errors and reduce poor judgement calls. But there will always be plenty of judgement calls as to what is and isn't a foul.

It's setting a false position to claim it will eliminate errors, then claiming it doesn't.
What is does is reduce the number of errors significantly.
20:26, Wed 15 May
Rab C Nesbitt
Sheep2
[www.skysports.com]

Does anyone really want a return to more gross errors like Bowyer being called offside in the Carling Cup Final?

Full of baloney. With var officials don’t have to make decisions so that figure is misleading. As is saying fans are in favour of it.
It was brought in to eliminate errors. It hasn’t. And sometimes has contributed to them

It wasn't brought in to 'eliminate' errors. It was brought in to reduce them. Which is has - from 18% down to 4%.

It can be improved and there will always be the 'too close to call' decisions even on 100 replays, but what I LOVE about it is it has mostly stopped the diving fannies who initiate contact.

We seem to forget we are arguing now on a weekend about 2-3 iffy VAR calls versus 10-20 missed calls by a ref/linesperson.
20:32, Wed 15 May
WelshBlue
Rab C Nesbitt
Sheep2
[www.skysports.com]

It can be improved and there will always be the 'too close to call' decisions even on 100 replays, but what I LOVE about it is it has mostly stopped the diving fannies who initiate contact.
It actually encourages people to initiate contact and stay down when not injured to encourage a var check .
It’s ridiculous to suggest otherwise
Tony Fantastico
20:37, Wed 15 May
Right on cue Anthony Gordon stays down when not injured to try and get a pen. Then Guimares stays downto ensure it get a checked 😂
Tony Fantastico
20:39, Wed 15 May
Rab C Nesbitt
Right on cue Anthony Gordon stays down when not injured to try and get a pen. Then Guimares stays downto ensure it get a checked 😂

That was a penalty all day long imo
20:43, Wed 15 May
Yeah Amrabat fouled him. He wasn’t hurt though and stayed down so var would check after they alerted the ref
Tony Fantastico
20:45, Wed 15 May
Rab C Nesbitt

Staying down won't affect the check.

The number of players going/staying down when not injured has massively increased in the last few seasons. It also regularly happensin the EFL where there is no VAR.
It's mostly to break up and delay play. It's obvious referees are much more willing to allow the game to be stopped for minor 'injuries', but it's not to do with VAR or it wouldn't happen in the Championship to the extent it does.
20:47, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
[www.skysports.com]

How can this stat be generated when decisions are subjective?

In short, yes- because errors by officials are ALL part of the game. Attempts to ‘perfect’ what cannot be perfected are not.
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
20:49, Wed 15 May
Sheep2
Rab C Nesbitt

Staying down won't affect the check.

The number of players going/staying down when not injured has massively increased in the last few seasons. It also regularly happensin the EFL where there is no VAR.
It's mostly to break up and delay play. It's obvious referees are much more willing to allow the game to be stopped for minor 'injuries', but it's not to do with VAR or it wouldn't happen in the Championship to the extent it does.
Happens nowhere near as often in our league. No pen given there’s no reason to stay down. With var there is.
Tony Fantastico
20:51, Wed 15 May
mjd2505
Coventry would also have had one of the best comebacks in FA Cup history against United this year had it not been for VAR

Don’t refer to Man United as ‘United’, unless they’re special to you. It’s annoying.

Anyway, your point is good- VAR ruined that moment.
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
20:55, Wed 15 May
I don't expect perfect decisions. I would like them to be as good as they can be though. And i think technology should be used to make them as good as possible.

Improved cameras and processing will make VAR much faster over the next few years. Particularly for offsides. There's already better technology used by Uefa and Fifa. There will always be controversial decisions over what is and isn't a foul.
20:56, Wed 15 May
Made in Daegu
mjd2505
Coventry would also have had one of the best comebacks in FA Cup history against United this year had it not been for VAR

Don’t refer to Man United as ‘United’, unless they’re special to you. It’s annoying.

Anyway, your point is good- VAR ruined that moment.

Offside goals do not make games better.