21:26, Wed 15 May
newblue
WelshBlue
newblue
Sheep2
I don't expect perfect decisions. I would like them to be as good as they can be though. And i think technology should be used to make them as good as possible.

Improved cameras and processing will make VAR much faster over the next few years. Particularly for offsides. There's already better technology used by Uefa and Fifa. There will always be controversial decisions over what is and isn't a foul.

Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters - in fact,it does the opposite as it involves another subjective view in addition to the officials on the field, who are undermined by VAR far too often.

I agree with you on offsides, for me that’s more like goal line technology. The problem with offsides and VAR is the offside law, which should be clarified and simplified (just make it feet and perhaps there has to be ‘daylight’ between attacker and defender.

"Your last point means that it won’t resolve those matters "

No... his point means it will 'reduce' these issues. Which it does.

You are all arguing to bin it because it isn't perfect while ignoring that it makes much better decisions on marginal calls than just a Referee overall.

It doesn’t though. It just complicates things further on subjective decisions. The technology doesn’t rule on those subjective decisions - it’s a human being making a decision, often the Var official vs the people on the pitch (subsequently claimed by ‘objective’ assessment to be correct).

It isn’t even the case that VAR intercedes in ‘clear and obvious’ ; sometimes it doesn’t when it probably should, in other cases, when it’s opaque and obscure.

It does though. You're just focused on the contentious calls - not the many corrections of clear (upon replay) mistakes.
21:28, Wed 15 May
There is one simple argument here:

Over a season, more correct decisions are made in the games that use VAR than in the games that don't.

Correct .... anyone calling for VAR to be scrapped doesn't understand football.... and certainly doesn't even understand VAR. It's reflective of the poor minds of the populace to not be inquisitive, not learn facts and base opinions on supposition rather than actually going out and doing some research. This also applies to referees, the FA etc

Offside decisions are made using broadcast cameras — running at 50 frames per second. The decision on when the attacker first impacts the ball, however, is made using high speed, 120 fps cameras.

At full speed a striker can run 20 cm between frames.

To make VAR better the "line" used to decide offside should be the equivalent of 7 inches wide to compensate for the video frame rate

- for someone to be offside the defenders furthest point back and the attackers furthest point forward need to be able to have a 7 inch wide line drawn between them.

If anyone is genuinely interested then a friend of mine, Martin Smith, has done an easy to follow guide.

[www.linkedin.com]
21:42, Wed 15 May
The offside rule is ridiculously over-complicated. Keep it simple: a player is either offside, or they’re not.

All of this debate about whether or not he/she was “interfering with play” is unnecessary- if they were in an offside position - ACCORDING TO THE NAKED EYE - when the ball was played, the Assistant Referee should raise his/her flag.
"we don't even know why we're here - we're all just wandering around, doing daft things, killing time, until we die; that's why Frisbee's been invented..." (Karl Pilkington 2013)
21:44, Wed 15 May
I go to games mate.
Football is about joy, spontaneous passion. Players make mistakes. Officials do too.

How many games did you go to last season where VAR was in use ?
21:45, Wed 15 May
The offside rule is ridiculously over-complicated. Keep it simple: a player is either offside, or they’re not.

All of this debate about whether or not he/she was “interfering with play” is unnecessary- if they were in an offside position - ACCORDING TO THE NAKED EYE - when the ball was played, the Assistant Referee should raise his/her flag.

To be blunt ... that's shite and you'll end up going back to the 70s where a players 50 yards away from play, can be deemd as offside
21:49, Wed 15 May
Rags

To be blunt ... that's shite and you'll end up going back to the 70s where a players 50 yards away from play, can be deemd as offside

And players several yards onside.
21:59, Wed 15 May
Rags
I go to games mate.
Football is about joy, spontaneous passion. Players make mistakes. Officials do too.

Thankfully none. Watched hundreds on tv though with it and it’s far less enjoyable. You’ll actually hear people say they’re not watching a game because var is in place. You’ll never hear a fan say they’re not watching a game because var isn’t in use.
Nuff said.
Tony Fantastico
22:08, Wed 15 May
Rags
I go to games mate.

Thankfully none. Watched hundreds on tv though with it and it’s far less enjoyable. You’ll actually hear people say they’re not watching a game because var is in place. You’ll never hear a fan say they’re not watching a game because var isn’t in use.
Nuff said.

So the number of games you actually attended with VAR was ZERO

Do you remember the goal Stansfield had disallowed against Rotherham ? ... you were there and you admitted that you didn't celebrate it because you immediately looked over (as us old 'uns do) and saw the linesman had his flag raised. Hundreds of others were celebrating for minutes afterwards and many invaded the pitch.

. and that's a simple, good rule to follow - if the linesaman has his flag up then don't celebrate. 95% of the time he'll be right and it ain't a goal.

End of.

So why are you applying a different criteria when watching games on TV ? .... and the answer is that part of the "entertainment" that the TV companies create (and which you are falling for ) is "oooooh it's a goal, or is it , yes, no, maybee, let's see, ooooh let's watch it a hundred times, let's pretend to you the viewer that it's more uncertain than it is"

You don't actually hate VAR Rab - you hate what the TV companies are making you think it is
22:11, Wed 15 May
Nah. I hate it.
People hate the fact I knew the reasons it wouldn’t work before it got implemented.
They told us during covid that football is nothing without fans. Fans don’t want var.
Hopefully they realise it’s bad for the brand and common sense prevails
Tony Fantastico
22:18, Wed 15 May
Nah. I hate it.
People hate the fact I knew the reasons it wouldn’t work before it got implemented.
They told us during covid that football is nothing without fans. Fans don’t want var.

1.. i don't believe fans don't want VAR
2 .. once it's gone they'll want it back
VAR was implemented due to clear and obvious errors being missed by officials. It has somehow morphed into a forensic analysis of the game, actively looking for offences and reasons to alter the outcome.

We have all watched matches and instinctively realised that something did not quite feel right about a particular pattern of play. That is what VAR is for. In those instances there should be one replay, maybe from three different angles and if nothing obvious is seen then simply move on. It cannot be an obvious error if you need to analyse the play for three minutes from various angles. As for offsides if you need to draw lines then it is not an obvious error so you need to trust the officials.

Millions of people fell in love with football because of it's spontaneity and accepted that sometimes the officials would get it wrong. All VAR has proven is that officials will still get it wrong even after watching a replay.
06:56, Thu 16 May
Rab C Nesbitt
Nah. I hate it.

👍
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
08:04, Thu 16 May
Rab C Nesbitt
People hate the fact I knew the reasons it wouldn’t work before it got implemented.s

Except it does work, as proven.
The cold never bothered me anyway
08:32, Thu 16 May
I don't know how to copy it on to here, however Tom Ross has done a twitter poll, 1,558 votes so far, 81.1% get rid 18.9% keep.

It's a get rid for me.
08:33, Thu 16 May
GBBlue
Why can’t it just be finessed? Auto offside with built in margin of error.

Otherwise 1 review per match instigated by the manager only for handball or penalty. If decision is reversed you keep review otherwise tought luck.

I still think big clubs got far more refs decisions in the pre VAR days. We got stinking decisions in Leicester home and Southampton away games last year. I don’t really like the idea of regression.

I think I agree with this. Essentially the problem for me is not the decision making itself, more the disruption to the natural flow and pace of a football game. Its why I'm not in favor of managers getting 'reviews', because that will just be used tactically like subs often are at the end of a game.

Seems to me that auto offsides and goal line stuff if it can be implemented to be instant is a no brainer. The offside rule itself can be argued about (the toenail thing) but that issue would persist with or without VAR, without it you'd get more wrong decisions more frequently.

I do think though that the pitchside monitor needs to go in the bin and some of these lengthy checks need to be eliminated.

I wonder if there are more creative options that haven't been thought of yet - IE more aggressive diving punishments, or retrospective stuff or something. Definitely feels like there must be some way to make it useful without disrupting the ebb and flow of the game too much.