09:34, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
Super Hans
Balti
Everbluesince92
Because that is the case at many clubs far more successful than us.
It isn't.

But if you think some random bloke with no football experience at all before coming here is the man to decide which players do and don't play for us then fair play.

If he can keep getting us the type of player we got in the summer then I don't see how that would be a bad thing.
We're in near enough the same position in the league as we were in last season. He hasn't worked the oracle yet.

Which is irrelevant to the point.

You're saying that Dong is deciding which players we buy and sell as a bad thing, yet the only proof we have of this is last summer where we had the best transfer window we've had since we were a Premier League team.

Dong isn't the only one either btw.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
09:37, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
The cat next door
Don't think anywhere that it was stated that the CEO is choosing players. Handling transfers yes, choosing no.
He's choosing them, trust me.

Unless you think he scouted them himself then he is taking advice from someone, and apparently that someone knows what they are doing
09:38, Wed 6 Nov
jefflynneshair
'From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.'

If this is true then we are in big trouble.

Leaving aside the Ren thing - I don't know why some people seem to have a downer on Speakman.

When Beale left, there was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth with people saying what a disaster it was because Beale was responsible for bringing through players like Redmond, Butland and Gray...but, without belittling Beale, Speakman was also involved in that development. He has been at the club for a long time in youth coaching and development. People sometimes talk as though he is a Johnny Come Lately who has been parachuted in to undo all the good work Beale did. It just makes no sense.
09:46, Wed 6 Nov
Typhoontechie
Balti
The cat next door
Don't think anywhere that it was stated that the CEO is choosing players. Handling transfers yes, choosing no.
He's choosing them, trust me.

Unless you think he scouted them himself then he is taking advice from someone, and apparently that someone knows what they are doing
I.e. he's behaving like a football manager then, which rests very uneasily with me.
09:52, Wed 6 Nov
well if that is the case he is doing a better job then dein and vetere to be fair to him
10:12, Wed 6 Nov
Make your mind up.

You contradicted yourself in two posts
@Bluewurst1875
10:14, Wed 6 Nov
Bluewurst
Make your mind up.

You contradicted yourself in two posts
I really haven't.

Dong is picking which players we buy and sell, others may be giving him reports but he is doing the sole decision making on whether they are here or not.
10:16, Wed 6 Nov
There is some encouragement from our performances. Last year when results weren’t great at the start of the season sensible people rightly pointed out that we were playing well and they’d improved.

This year we got better results but the early games were concerning in terms of performance- a lot of people had said we would struggle this year and the performances were claimed (probably reasonably) as a confirmation this was likely. Our last half dozen games have been quite different. It’s not that often we have been such a pleasure to watch, if we can marry that to a relatively small improvement in results it will look very positive indeed.

The oracle isn’t worked yet, as you say, but the current signs are far more positive than you suggest from your posts.
10:16, Wed 6 Nov
That is some very good photoshopping for that picture...
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
10:19, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
I.e. he's behaving like a football manager then, which rests very uneasily with me.

Why should the choice of player be down to just the manager?
Old MacDonald had a farm. EU, EU... Oh.
10:21, Wed 6 Nov
Rasputin
Balti

Because it is his neck on the block when the team he's in charge starts playing crap.

To paraphrase Barry Fry, a manager should get sacked picking his own team not somebody else's.
10:27, Wed 6 Nov
VIVA LA DONG
10:34, Wed 6 Nov
In the post it states there is a list if players we want - Clearly drawn up by Pep and Speakman. Someone then has to decide which one of the players they actually buy. Surely that will be the CEO at every club as he is the one signing the cheque. So long as Ren isn't drawing up the list i see absolutely nothing different or wrong with what we are doing.

You use the manager who knows players to pick a player, you then use a business man who can negotiate to negotiate the deal and salary. not the other way round
SHA's Resident Estate Agent
10:35, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
Rasputin
Balti

Because it is his neck on the block when the team he's in charge starts playing crap.

To paraphrase Barry Fry, a manager should get sacked picking his own team not somebody else's.

Yeah in the old division 2 wheeling and dealing 50k here, free transfer there, but not with the money sloshing around even in the championship now, there needs to be an over arching trajectory for the club so every new manager isnt a full rebuild. This has been poorly executed til now, but maybe Ren and Speakman can build something, maybe they cant, but there are definitely signs of life and maybe even strategy we haven't seen since TTA came in
10:35, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
Rasputin
Balti

Football hasn't worked that way with the manager solely being responsible for who comes and goes for atleast 20 years.

It's a collaborative effort between head coach, chairman, scouting team and some sort of football director at literally every successful football club in Europe. I've heard nothing to suggest it's any different at Blues.