10:39, Wed 6 Nov
Exactly. Mayor says ‘the club’ is identifying targets and the two blokes are ‘handling transfers’. There’s nothing wrong with that and a world removed from the model where managers had a very murky part in buying and selling. Only made worse where agents are involved.
10:40, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
Rasputin
Balti
I.e. he's behaving like a football manager then, which rests very uneasily with me.

Why should the choice of player be down to just the manager?
Because it is his neck on the block when the team he's in charge starts playing crap.

To paraphrase Barry Fry, a manager should get sacked picking his own team not somebody else's.

The 1990s called and they want their transfer methodology back.
10:41, Wed 6 Nov
I have absolutely no problem with Pep and Speakman identifying targets they think we need and then Dong negotiating. Exactly how it should be.
10:45, Wed 6 Nov
Typhoontechie
Balti
Rasputin
Balti
I.e. he's behaving like a football manager then, which rests very uneasily with me.

Because it is his neck on the block when the team he's in charge starts playing crap.

To paraphrase Barry Fry, a manager should get sacked picking his own team not somebody else's.

Yeah in the old division 2 wheeling and dealing 50k here, free transfer there, but not with the money sloshing around even in the championship now, there needs to be an over arching trajectory for the club so every new manager isnt a full rebuild. This has been poorly executed til now, but maybe Ren and Speakman can build something, maybe they cant, but there are definitely signs of life and maybe even strategy we haven't seen since TTA came in
Mayor himself says Speakman has absolutely nothing to do with transfers, and Pep has much say about who we buy and sell as I do.
10:46, Wed 6 Nov
Has he really signed?
10:46, Wed 6 Nov
What are you on about? Excerpt from Mayor's piece:

From what I know, transfers are solely being handled now by club CEO Ren Xuandong and Kristjaan Speakman, who appears to be Sporting Director in all but name.

Not sure how you think this is Mayor saying Speakman has no involvement in transfers.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
10:47, Wed 6 Nov
Bluesince62
I have absolutely no problem with Pep and Speakman identifying targets they think we need and then Dong negotiating. Exactly how it should be.
Except they are not. Mayor in this article says that Speakman has nothing to do with this side of things at all, and Pep has about as much influence as to who is bought and sold as I do.
10:47, Wed 6 Nov
Mayor actually said 'Speakman is Sporting Director in all but name'. Perhaps you missed that bit. What do you think a Sporting Director does?
10:49, Wed 6 Nov
Isn't it normal process anyway that the Manager selects players his like and others negotiate the deal?

I'd be more than worried if Pepe La Pep was handling it all.
10:49, Wed 6 Nov
Fair enough, I misread that as Speakman being Sporting Director in name only.

Still sits very uneasily with me that Dong and Speakman are deciding between them who is bought and sold. Mayor himself has previously said that Dong is basically acting as a football manager vicariously.
10:50, Wed 6 Nov
Bluesince62
Mayor actually said 'Speakman is Sporting Director in all but name'. Perhaps you missed that bit. What do you think a Sporting Director does?
I misread that bit about Speakman, where I actually thought he said that Speakman was Sporting Director in name only.
10:52, Wed 6 Nov
BlueStorm
Isn't it normal process anyway that the Manager selects players his like and others negotiate the deal?
But the manager isn't picking these players.
10:55, Wed 6 Nov
Go Home Bodger
Balti
Rasputin
Balti

The 1990s called and they want their transfer methodology back.
Things were much better back then. At Blues Manager would pick the player and Brady would sort the money out. If I ever owned a club I would do things that way.

Now, the CEO and some bloke in charge of the Nappy Squad last season pick the players and the manager (if we can even call him the manager) is told to get on with it.
10:57, Wed 6 Nov
Balti
BlueStorm
But the manager isn't picking these players.

I'd be worried if we hadn't such a good summer transfer window.

Sunjic, Crowley & Villalba are all very young & already excellent.

Ramos was at Real Madrid til 19 - so hopes are high there.

It's a lot more encouraging than when Redknapp was in charge.
10:57, Wed 6 Nov
newblue
Exactly. Mayor says ‘the club’ is identifying targets and the two blokes are ‘handling transfers’. There’s nothing wrong with that and a world removed from the model where managers had a very murky part in buying and selling. Only made worse where agents are involved.
Why is it murky that a football manager chooses which players to buy and sell?