17:40, Wed 29 Nov
I think I qualify as per your last paragraph šŸ˜.Just as well, as the last time I was cutting edge listening technology was some Technical system I bought in about 1985 or something (my son nicked the record player bit a couple of years ago).
17:53, Wed 29 Nov
Wish on the Moon is a tune. I love all the Punk/folk crossover stuff that guys like Chuck, Brian Fallon, Matthew Ryan and Dave Hause do.
17:59, Wed 29 Nov
I've been a big Frank Turner fan for many years, but it only really starter getting into Chuck's solo stuff this year. Have listened to Hot Water Music since they first hit the scene early 2000's.
18:06, Wed 29 Nov
Frank Turner is quality as well. Been fortunate enough to see him a couple of times. Always puts on a show. Never been fortunate enough to see Hot Water Music but Drag My Body is one of my favourite songs by them.
18:09, Wed 29 Nov
Saw Frank in Tampa at the start of our road trip, which was kind of fitting.

Drag my body was been in many playlists for years now.

Amigo the Devil was worked his way into my playlists this year. Some very interesting songs inspired by serial killers.
18:25, Wed 29 Nov
1. The Shits
2. Frisk
3. Wilderness
4. Diall
5. Band Of Susans

188,348 minutes
18:43, Wed 29 Nov
Now that I'm semi-retired, only working afternoons, my listening habits have changed i.e. I'll stay up late / lie in mornings and listen to the more chilled/lush playlists I've created (I don't listen to albums half as much as I used to). This probably explains my No. 1 artist for the year, whilst the other 4 are commuting and / or gym listens, all being electronica:

1. Dusty Springfield
2. Royksopp
3. Goldfrapp
4. Clark
5. Chemical Brothers
18:46, Wed 29 Nov
Came across Karen Bella on Twitter her album sounds excellent on spotify.
18:57, Wed 29 Nov
Corduroy
BC Camplight
Dutch Uncles
Father John Misty
Prince
19:32, Wed 29 Nov
Tbh, Iā€™ve heard of about 10% of the artists mentioned.

Any Magdelayna remixes for me.
09:38, Thu 30 Nov
Nikola Zigic

My total listening was 60,155 minutes- 41 days none stop. That feels excessive but shows what value for money £10 a month is.

You are right, I said the same thing a couple of days a go.

It should be £100 subscription a month if the artists were paid what they should be.

They are not and we have to pay a mere tenner for every song in the world ever recorded pretty much. Swings and roundabouts.
10:56, Thu 30 Nov
They had to make streaming available at such an attractive price point that it would kill illegal streaming. If you made £100p/m 99% of people either couldn't afford that or would refuse to pay that price and so would go back to illegal streaming.

I suspect a) the providers will gradually increase the price to increase their profits which may also have a trickle down to artists b) eventually like things like software and mobile phone networks they will merge and be takeover so the number of suppliers will dwindle which will remove competition and enable more price rises.

Re artists getting paid what they are worth the music business has always been a marketplace so record companies always paid the least the artist would accept (much like any workplace tbf). Black blues singers used to be paid $50 to record a song but the contract didn't entitle them to any share of the profits from the sales of discs. The Beatles were rejected by every record company in the country so they had no choice but to sign to Parlophone for a farthing a side - they received a halfpenny for every single they sold - then Brain Epstein took 25% and all after the Govt and the HMRC took their 95% (hence the song "Taxman" and the reference to "1 for you, 19 for me").

There was a series years ago on BBC2(?) about the music business and all the 'Hollywood accounting' and general chicanery the business uses to avoid paying people what they are owed. It was definitely enough to put most people off going into the industry. That's why the bands love their 'merch' - it normally is a separate contract away from the record company so they get to keep more of the money. And concert tickets are so expensive because they now make next to no money from 'sales' of music via streaming etc.
11:01, Thu 30 Nov
Shaun of Brum
Nikola Zigic

My total listening was 60,155 minutes- 41 days none stop. That feels excessive but shows what value for money £10 a month is.

You are right, I said the same thing a couple of days a go.

It should be £100 subscription a month if the artists were paid what they should be.

They are not and we have to pay a mere tenner for every song in the world ever recorded pretty much. Swings and roundabouts.

If you find an artist you like, buy their merch or go see them live. Helps to balance the equation.
11:20, Thu 30 Nov
Donā€™t use Spotify watch a lot of Youtube music vidā€™s though, especially like Tiny desk content enjoy the live intimate performances
However number one for Christmas has to be

A Bunch of Wallies

Boys will be boys & girls will be girls

Renamed boys can be girls & girls can be boys

KRO
13:01, Fri 1 Dec
BlueNose82
Sprints are my favourite new band at the moment. Eagerly awaiting their album, and have tickets to see them at The Actress & Bishop in April.

White Lies have been a favourite for a long time.

I'll have a look at tickets to that. Cheers.