08:17, Tue 5 Dec
Is an issue here on decision making purely centring around Cooks blind faith in Rooney, therefore the owners, I.e. Wagner and co will trust in Cook rather than taking a decision themselves on all footballing matters. Cook has an undoubted record and level of experience to help build the club up for sure including being “one of us” so to speak but this also brings around issues where the owners are relying and trusting Cook in absolutely every football related topic, therefore it will be laying with Cook ultimately on whether he is removed.

Other clubs are making decisions now, sooner rather than later.
08:40, Tue 5 Dec
I don’t think he has blind faith in Rooney but when you make big changes, you’ve got to give it a chance to work. If things don’t improve, they’ll replace him but they’ll be hoping that things start to come together and it won’t be needed.
08:40, Tue 5 Dec
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?
08:45, Tue 5 Dec
Ok I guess my point is really, will this only ever be a decision that the board rely on Cook for? In which case, we may, or indeed may not, end up in a position where Cook sticks with Rooney for too long, if nothing improves.
08:54, Tue 5 Dec
Yes. It’s difficult know when the right time is. I imagine many st clubs not Watford, obvs, leave it too late, until there is a crisis. I’m OK with that, depending on circumstances. I’d rather give a fella a chance
08:56, Tue 5 Dec
Tha Project OBE
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?

Only managers I can remember who have had a start like this in recent years have been De Boer at Palace, Zola, and the Gremlin at Southampton.

Are there any that started like this and came good?

Genuinely interested, I’m struggling
Happy Clapper
09:05, Tue 5 Dec
The Bournemouth guy seems to have got them going in the last month
09:07, Tue 5 Dec
Yes good shout, he came with a very good reputation which probably relaxed them a little bit
Happy Clapper
09:12, Tue 5 Dec
If the Rooney decision is a complete disaster id imagine Cook himself will be on very dodgy ground.

The CEO at Villa lost his job for his decision to appoint Gerrard. Same principle will apply here
09:17, Tue 5 Dec
Doubt that, off the pitch Cook seems to have been very good, hopefully Gardner picks the next one
09:17, Tue 5 Dec
I think he'll be fine personally, because he's leading on the full transformation of the club and he seems to have the full backing of the ownership, but for sure it would be a black mark against his name and the next one would have to be right. AFAIK whilst it was Cook's shout they did all trust him and backed him on it.
Happy Clapper
09:18, Tue 5 Dec
With revenue growth being a very important factor in all decision making currently at the club, I think that as long we keep some sort of buffer from us to the bottom three he will stay.

Id imagine finishing 21st with Rooney, is still easier securing commercial deals than 10th with Mowbray.

If we started next season slowly though I think he will go sharpish.
09:24, Tue 5 Dec
Very different situation considering the strength of the squad but Russell Martin didn't have the best of starts this season. They struggled to wins over some of the weaker teams early on (Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth and QPR) before losing 4 on the trot to some the better teams including a 5-0 loss to Sunderland and 4-1 to Leicester.

The fans weren't happy. There were articles about whether he should be sacked etc - [onefootball.com] [www.givemesport.com] [www.fansnetwork.co.uk]

They've now gone 11 unbeaten and are passing teams off the pitch in most games.

That doesn't mean things will go the same way for Rooney but they significantly changed the way they played and despite having a Premiership standard squad and it still took all of pre-season and around 8 league matches for things to click.
09:26, Tue 5 Dec
For fundamental revenue growth we need to be offering a world class product, as quoted by Cook. The footballing product is not looking good at all and in addition, it is creating media attention but not the positive kind of attention we could do with. Likewise, large sections of fans are not happy or coming back, or being enticed.

Double edged sword
09:46, Tue 5 Dec
Petebaldwin
Very different situation considering the strength of the squad but Russell Martin didn't have the best of starts this season. They struggled to wins over some of the weaker teams early on (Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth and QPR) before losing 4 on the trot to some the better teams including a 5-0 loss to Sunderland and 4-1 to Leicester.

The fans weren't happy. There were articles about whether he should be sacked etc - [onefootball.com] [www.givemesport.com] [www.fansnetwork.co.uk]

They've now gone 11 unbeaten and are passing teams off the pitch in most games.

That doesn't mean things will go the same way for Rooney but they significantly changed the way they played and despite having a Premiership standard squad and it still took all of pre-season and around 8 league matches for things to click.

Decent comparison but for Southmaptons squad is almost Prem level.