10:41, Tue 5 Dec
It was the 9th league game. We had 6 points though and had only lost twice in the league.
I was worried about it the longer it went on.
8 league games and a cup game with no wins is a lot.
10:47, Tue 5 Dec
I didn't really rate Bowyer. I didn't and still don't particularly rate JE, last season especially. Not that either did bad jobs, obviously Bowyer turned us around from a relegation destined team and at times JE produced some decent performances but I couldn't see them playing football I would particularly enjoy watching or would be effective enough to get us anywhere near the play-offs.

However the rhetoric that came out from what felt like the vast majority of fans was that no team gets anywhere chopping and changing managers. That consistency and giving a gaffer several windows was a key driver to success. That even when we move managers on, having that inbuilt style of play that permeated through the first team to the little uns was crucial so even sacking managers meant that stylistically we didn't change with each appointment.

I seem to recall most fans also expecting this season to be a bit so so because we recognised that the legacy of bad spending was stopping us from moving forward. Sunjic, Etheridge, Juke, Hogan, Gardner all on high wages that were not justifiable. Lots of personnel leaving last summer replaced with talented but injury prone players.

Now almost in a heartbeat the same supporters wanted a manager sacked after 2 games let alone now. They want Cook sacked as well. Absolutely mental times. Who the devil would want to come in on a long term project knowing the sword of damocles will be on them almost immediately. We will just look like Watford, a meal ticket.

Chill out. If you hate Rooney then I do suspect a run of 5-6 games with few points over Christmas and Early New Year and a bottom 4-5 spot then I think his position will be untenable. You will be right and can give yourselves a pat on the back but it won't be a pleasant happy position for the club. I would so rather than Rooney turns the corner because it is good for him, Cook and the supporters.
I make that 7842 times that virtually the exact same words have been posted......
" blah blah blah .... Rooney shouldn't have been appointed "
It's tedious.
He's in the job. He's trying to get the squad to adjust. He needs support from us over the coming months.
It could be good for the club.
Move on !
đź‘Ť
11:08, Tue 5 Dec
I think we should at least let him do six months in the role.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
11:08, Tue 5 Dec
Nikola Zigic
Le Mod
Tha Project OBE
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?

Only managers I can remember who have had a start like this in recent years have been De Boer at Palace, Zola, and the Gremlin at Southampton.

Are there any that started like this and came good?

Genuinely interested, I’m struggling

Monk started his first proper season a bit like this but you could see what was happening on the pitch would translate into results.

Didn't win in our first 11 games or something wasn't it?

Had done great when he first came in though winning almost half his games, so again, credit in the bank, plus we were playing really well.
Happy Clapper
11:09, Tue 5 Dec
Le Mod
Tha Project OBE
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?

Only managers I can remember who have had a start like this in recent years have been De Boer at Palace, Zola, and the Gremlin at Southampton.

Barry Fry
11:10, Tue 5 Dec
generalBlue
Bordesley not Small Heath
generalBlue
I make that 7842 times that virtually the exact same words have been posted......
" blah blah blah .... Rooney shouldn't have been appointed "
It's tedious.
He's in the job. He's trying to get the squad to adjust. He needs support from us over the coming months.
It could be good for the club.
Move on !

Agree but we are talking about Cook here, not Rooney

With all due respect if anyone seriously believes that Cook's position will ever be in danger of being ended during the next couple of years they are in cuckoo land.
Completely bonkers.
It's a non subject.

I don't think that's true. Ultimately Wagner is here to make money. If he decides that Cook is affecting his ability to do that Cook will be gone.

I doubt it will be on the basis of Rooney failing but if Cook appointed another manager who failed, particularly through similar circumstances, ie the back door rather than the front, then I'd imagine he'll be in trouble.
Bordesley not Small Heath
QBBC2
Bluenose_68
If the Rooney decision is a complete disaster id imagine Cook himself will be on very dodgy ground.

The CEO at Villa lost his job for his decision to appoint Gerrard. Same principle will apply here

He should be sacked if it doesn't work out ( although as others have pointed out his off field work has been great)

If he had recommended a proven \ semi proven manager and it didn't work out then that's back luck but to bring in
an unproven manager (his mate) with 27% win rate is appauling judgement by Cook. Any reputation that cook had for being a
'football bloke' in my opinion is trashed. The decisions he has made, the handling of, the timing etc with regard to 'on field' matters are mistakes that any knowledgable football fan down the pub wouldn't make. Wagner needs to find another " British guy who knows soccer" to advise him

Re “the handling of, the timing of etc” do you think the decision to sack JE was made before or after the Hudds/Albion games? Do you think the decision to replace him with Rooney was made before or after Rooney missed the playoffs with DCUtd? You can’t complain about timing if you don’t know when things happened. Not even a knowledgable football fan down the pub would claim that.

I think JE was going to lose his job the second the new owners came in, which is often the case.
So to give the new manager a pre season you get him in immediately or wait and tell him the job is his
at end of season or when we were safe, not partway through season ( unless we were bottom 3 ) and not when you have allowed 12 new players into the club to play for a manager that you know you are sacking

For what it's worth i think the club have dropped Rooney right in it too by not giving him
a preseason and putting him under immediate pressure with 'no fear' nonsense talk. That was then Rooney's choice to decide if he wanted to be put into this situation

I agree. But TBF to Cook, if he really believes in Rooney then you have to take him whenever he's available. He might not have wanted to wait until next season.
11:14, Tue 5 Dec
Charcy
Le Mod
Tha Project OBE

Barry Fry

What was Arteta's start like. I remember he started one season badly.
11:16, Tue 5 Dec
he did start pretty badly but then won the FA Cup
My Blue Heaven
I really enjoyed Monkball

Thought we played some good stuff

We did, it was great. Probably the happiest I've been as a Blues fan since the Hughton season. On the pitch anyway
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
11:17, Tue 5 Dec
HackneyBlue
he did start pretty badly but then won the FA Cup

Simple then, over to you Wayne.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
11:28, Tue 5 Dec
?

Monk started his first proper season a bit like this but you could see what was happening on the pitch would translate into results.

Didn't win in our first 11 games or something wasn't it? [/quote]

Yep but as you say we could all see what Monk was doing. It got better as the games went on.
None of the above is the case now.
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
11:33, Tue 5 Dec
no i think if the performances had been consistent everything would be a lot more positive regardless of results.

i will defend Rooney in that if you want to change a playing style from top to bottom its incredibly hard to do it mid season, which could be why we are only seeing flashes.

Bielsa is an extreme example but transformed Leeds with a pre-season and turned down taking the Everton job mid season suggesting he take over in the summer instead as he knew he wouldnt be able to get them playing like he wanted.

why we decided to change tack mid season is on Cook really, and another reason i'm not keen on him making any more foootball decisions, leave that to Craig
11:33, Tue 5 Dec
When he first came in he won half his games and won the FA Cup. Started one season badly with 3 defeats but by that point had already shown he was decent, I fink.

Barry Fry is one though getting relegated is a pretty big failure and I'd expect most to be able to get us back with the biggest budget in the league by miles, so I'm not convinced about that one.
Happy Clapper