14:43, Tue 5 Dec
Rags
Should Cook lose his job over the Rooney fiasco ? - absolutely not.

Cook is the best CEO we're ever going to get to rebuild the club - by a long long long long way

Should Cook be reminded that his expertise isn't necessarily in the field of football tactics and formations and how we pay on the pitch and that in such matters he should consult someone whose expertise DOES lie in these area ? - absolutely yes

Agreed - and have posted similar myself.

I watched the 2 x 30 minute You Tube vids the club put on from the open house, and it reinforces my view that as a football club CEO, overhauling, rebuilding, changing the culture and attitude, leading us forward etc, he is about as good as we will get despite my views on him personally. Where he needs to be involved less, as you say, is the day to day minutiae of the Mens 1st team. He either has to entrust that completely to Craig Gardner and his team, or get someone else in who can (Mike Rigg?). His record of selecting managers at Man City was poor, and he should not ever think of hand-selecting a personal acquantiance into this role again.

I would hope that Gardner (or whoever in the future) and his team are building a longlist and shortlist of potential managerial candidates that meet the criteria set out, so that if and when we are looking, we are ready to go

During his time at ManC Cook brought in 2 managers, Mark Hughes who lasted 18 months and then Mancini who had them finish 5th, before he left. Hardly “poor” tbf.
Rags
Should Cook lose his job over the Rooney fiasco ? - absolutely not.

Cook is the best CEO we're ever going to get to rebuild the club - by a long long long long way

Should Cook be reminded that his expertise isn't necessarily in the field of football tactics and formations and how we pay on the pitch and that in such matters he should consult someone whose expertise DOES lie in these area ? - absolutely yes

Yes, he will be staying. It's a shame that his role can't be split taking away his 'on field footballing' responsibilities allowing him to crack on with the off field stuff which tbf he has done brilliantly.
15:31, Tue 5 Dec
Cook is critical to Knighthead's investment for too many reasons to list, but here are a few:

- There are zero candidates of his caliber who know the situation of the club, city and people like he does.
- There are zero realistic candidates who have experience of starting anything like what he did at Man City, now arguably the world's most successful club on-field, and one of the most successful commercially.
- There are very few realistic candidates with his business experience and more importantly, his commercial contacts.
- And then there's the fact he's actually a fan of the club.

Even if there was a like-candidate, talking someone new of that caliber into the role would be neigh impossible. Then there would require a significant investment of both time and money. Then we'd have to basically start over again, because a new CEO would want to stamp his vision into the club from the get-go.

People talking about sacking him because he appointed one of England's most decorated players -- an appointment that will probably end up increasing the club's commercial impact by a double-digit percentage figure, allowing us to spend more in the coming transfer windows -- after less than 10 games...

Bananas! Absolutely bananas.

I hate to say this, but this season doesn't matter. Enjoy the wins, moan at the losses, get pissed as old farts while doing it. But Cook and Rooney are staying. It's all about the long-term now. Trust the process you miserable gits.
15:39, Tue 5 Dec
Post of the week 👍
15:44, Tue 5 Dec
effing bang on.

The only thing I'd like to be a bit different is a bit of entertainment on the pitch.

The rest is unthinkable from where we were 12 months ago.

Believe.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
16:11, Tue 5 Dec
yeehaw
Cook is critical to Knighthead's investment for too many reasons to list, but here are a few:

- There are zero candidates of his caliber who know the situation of the club, city and people like he does.
- There are zero realistic candidates who have experience of starting anything like what he did at Man City, now arguably the world's most successful club on-field, and one of the most successful commercially.
- There are very few realistic candidates with his business experience and more importantly, his commercial contacts.
- And then there's the fact he's actually a fan of the club.

Even if there was a like-candidate, talking someone new of that caliber into the role would be neigh impossible. Then there would require a significant investment of both time and money. Then we'd have to basically start over again, because a new CEO would want to stamp his vision into the club from the get-go.

People talking about sacking him because he appointed one of England's most decorated players -- an appointment that will probably end up increasing the club's commercial impact by a double-digit percentage figure, allowing us to spend more in the coming transfer windows -- after less than 10 games...

Bananas! Absolutely bananas.

I hate to say this, but this season doesn't matter. Enjoy the wins, moan at the losses, get pissed as old farts while doing it. But Cook and Rooney are staying. It's all about the long-term now. Trust the process you miserable gits.

Absolutely!

We were never going to go up this season. Never. Leicester, Southampton and Leeds are all very very strong. There are then about 6 teams included WBA who have strong squads.

Next summer will see such a clear out and will give Gardner and Co scope to invest. If we finish 17th again this year, so be it. Next year is the one we need to be pushing on.

What will derail this though is a run so bad that we start to sniff relegation.
16:13, Tue 5 Dec
Agree with most of this, except the end. This season does matter for two reasons: 1) stating the obvious, but going down would be a disaster and that's what's happening without improvement, and I'm pretty sure he can improve enough to prevent that; and 2) losing a lot and ending up 20th will mean lower and lower attendances and less commercial potential as Rooney starts to end up looking a decorated player but a failed manager. We and he need some results and consistent performances over the next 5 or so games.
16:15, Tue 5 Dec
There's not a huge difference between finishing 17th and going down though is there? A lot of seasons those sides aren't mathematically safe until the last game or two. And it'll be difficult to tell the difference between the two in February/March (especially as to be around there means by then we'll still be doing badly).
16:27, Tue 5 Dec
Agree with most of this, except the end. This season does matter for two reasons: 1) stating the obvious, but going down would be a disaster and that's what's happening without improvement, and I'm pretty sure he can improve enough to prevent that; and 2) losing a lot and ending up 20th will mean lower and lower attendances and less commercial potential as Rooney starts to end up looking a decorated player but a failed manager. We and he need some results and consistent performances over the next 5 or so games.

I know it's not true and not the whole story - but if an investor was looking at things superficially when approached by Wagner and Cook for investment, where we finish is very important .... because on the face of it, at his moment, this Board who are telling investors how savvy they are, have made a decision that took the club from 6th to 15th (?) when superficially it could be argued that it didn't need to be made.

As i said - i know that's not the truth .... but it's how it may look to some outsiders.
GBBlue

Absolutely!

We were never going to go up this season. Never. Leicester, Southampton and Leeds are all very very strong. There are then about 6 teams included WBA who have strong squads.

Next summer will see such a clear out and will give Gardner and Co scope to invest. If we finish 17th again this year, so be it. Next year is the one we need to be pushing on.

What will derail this though is a run so bad that we start to sniff relegation. [/quote]

Agree we were never going up but after the Leeds game (B9 buzzing with hope\expectation for 1st time in yrs) and the next few games afterwards I was really looking forward to an enjoyable season, top 10 -12 hopefully.

I am not so sure that instant Promotion was on many peoples minds was it? After the Chinese ownership the word amongst
the fans i encountered was lets just not get carried away and just steady the ship.

If nothing else i am a bit peeved that what could have been a half decent season has been kind of ruined
and pretty much written off by December which is a shame. So now the thoughts have moved to 'what could be' in the long term
I think people could be disappointed next season, a lot of people seem to be coping by thinking we’re going to be contenders next season (not necessarily aimed at anyone on here, just a sentiment I’ve noticed among blues fans).

We’re going to have a ridiculously big turnover in the summer, coupled with a manager who is yet to prove he has the ability to have a club fighting at the right end of the table it’s going to be tough.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
16:52, Tue 5 Dec
Yes. These investors will presumably be making the same calculation that Knighthead did last year won't they - they said they wouldn't have bought us if we'd gone down, so we can't be complacent about floating not far off the drop. Needs a bit of an external appearance of it 'working', which to me means sticking around 10-12th all season.
16:53, Tue 5 Dec
We’re 7pts off 6th with 81 to play for.
16:59, Tue 5 Dec
Yes, play offs are by no means beyond us if we get our act together. I'm just responding to these people being blase about whether it matters we're circling the drain again.
Well if we’re no longer accepting mediocrity, which I agree with, I don’t know how we can be happy with being in a relegation dogfight again.