11:43, Tue 5 Dec
Fry had a terrible streak followed by a good streak in the second flight when he came.

You were too busy flashing your todger at the Villa to know.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
11:44, Tue 5 Dec
Yeah I know, but he started absolutely shit didn't he and we went down, albeit with a great run at the end. Then took us back to where we were when he began, so not sure it counts as a rip roaring success, but I get your point RE coming good. If Rooney takes us down then takes us back up to mid-table in the Championship it would not be a successful appointment.

Anyway, I was 4 years old, reported.
Happy Clapper
11:45, Tue 5 Dec
That's what it was like at Villa in the early 90s.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
11:48, Tue 5 Dec
You should take up the coaching again, I did say you never should have stopped. Unconventional yes, but a maverick.
Happy Clapper
12:15, Tue 5 Dec
generalBlue
I make that 7842 times that virtually the exact same words have been posted......
" blah blah blah .... Rooney shouldn't have been appointed "
It's tedious.
He's in the job. He's trying to get the squad to adjust. He needs support from us over the coming months.
It could be good for the club.
Move on !

Likewise, I have heard 6437 times that we should support him.
Move on!
13:10, Tue 5 Dec
It's not blind faith though is it? It's a marketing strategy. Imagine sitting with some of America's biggest companies, decision makers have been asked to invest large amounts of money into our 'project'. They probably know nothing about English football. But they probably know Rooney from his time in the US. Now imagine asking them to invest so they can buy better players and play better football, compared to telling them we want to play a style that suits the current players. Which pitch has a better chance of securing their investment?
13:16, Tue 5 Dec
QBBC2
Re “the handling of, the timing of etc” do you think the decision to sack JE was made before or after the Hudds/Albion games? Do you think the decision to replace him with Rooney was made before or after Rooney missed the playoffs with DCUtd? You can’t complain about timing if you don’t know when things happened. Not even a knowledgable football fan down the pub would claim that.

I'm not sure about that - the timing of the decision itself isn't really that important. If they did make the decision immediately post-Norwich, why not do it then and put in Gardner or someone as caretaker? That's the usual form when replacing a manager. If they made the decision even earlier than that, ditto. (FWIW I assume that's what Wagner was alluding to with the talk of confidentiality - that it had been planned a while but they can't really openly admit it.) If they made it after either of Huddersfield or Albion it was a really odd decision.

And then regardless - once they were announcing it off the back of two convincing home wins - why wouldn't they then 'handle' it differently? Tempering expectations a bit, not trashing JE so much, knowing generally the bus it would likely throw Rooney under and specifically the previous we have with similar circumstances at Blues. Surely that's open for a bit of criticism? I'd guess they'll be criticising themselves for it with the benefit of hindsight.

It's important because all this - aside from the fact it's probably worsened by a fair few people just not liking Rooney whatever - is the reason for all the negativity and division and the screeds on here about it. They didn't take a large chunk of us with them. I don't think any of that means people need sacking etc.
13:27, Tue 5 Dec
Should Cook lose his job over the Rooney fiasco ? - absolutely not.

Cook is the best CEO we're ever going to get to rebuild the club - by a long long long long way

Should Cook be reminded that his expertise isn't necessarily in the field of football tactics and formations and how we pay on the pitch and that in such matters he should consult someone whose expertise DOES lie in these area ? - absolutely yes
13:57, Tue 5 Dec
QBBC2
Re “the handling of, the timing of etc” do you think the decision to sack JE was made before or after the Hudds/Albion games? Do you think the decision to replace him with Rooney was made before or after Rooney missed the playoffs with DCUtd? You can’t complain about timing if you don’t know when things happened. Not even a knowledgable football fan down the pub would claim that.

I'm not sure about that - the timing of the decision itself isn't really that important. If they did make the decision immediately post-Norwich, why not do it then and put in Gardner or someone as caretaker? That's the usual form when replacing a manager. If they made the decision even earlier than that, ditto. (FWIW I assume that's what Wagner was alluding to with the talk of confidentiality - that it had been planned a while but they can't really openly admit it.) If they made it after either of Huddersfield or Albion it was a really odd decision.

And then regardless - once they were announcing it off the back of two convincing home wins - why wouldn't they then 'handle' it differently? Tempering expectations a bit, not trashing JE so much, knowing generally the bus it would likely throw Rooney under and specifically the previous we have with similar circumstances at Blues. Surely that's open for a bit of criticism? I'd guess they'll be criticising themselves for it with the benefit of hindsight.

It's important because all this - aside from the fact it's probably worsened by a fair few people just not liking Rooney whatever - is the reason for all the negativity and division and the screeds on here about it. They didn't take a large chunk of us with them. I don't think any of that means people need sacking etc.

It’s not important but it’s important? OK 🫡
14:00, Tue 5 Dec
QBBC2
It’s not important but it’s important? OK 🫡

As in the timing of their decision isn't that important/relevant, but the wider issue of timing/handling of announcement is important.
14:19, Tue 5 Dec
Rags
Should Cook lose his job over the Rooney fiasco ? - absolutely not.

Cook is the best CEO we're ever going to get to rebuild the club - by a long long long long way

Should Cook be reminded that his expertise isn't necessarily in the field of football tactics and formations and how we pay on the pitch and that in such matters he should consult someone whose expertise DOES lie in these area ? - absolutely yes

Agreed - and have posted similar myself.

I watched the 2 x 30 minute You Tube vids the club put on from the open house, and it reinforces my view that as a football club CEO, overhauling, rebuilding, changing the culture and attitude, leading us forward etc, he is about as good as we will get despite my views on him personally. Where he needs to be involved less, as you say, is the day to day minutiae of the Mens 1st team. He either has to entrust that completely to Craig Gardner and his team, or get someone else in who can (Mike Rigg?). His record of selecting managers at Man City was poor, and he should not ever think of hand-selecting a personal acquantiance into this role again.

I would hope that Gardner (or whoever in the future) and his team are building a longlist and shortlist of potential managerial candidates that meet the criteria set out, so that if and when we are looking, we are ready to go
14:22, Tue 5 Dec
An interesting response from the club shop on the tweeter that they are not expecting any further stock of the black kit.
Now I am sure, but may be wrong, that there was a comment made with this third kit that a lot more stock would be available so I am rather surprised to see that what is in existence now will be it.
14:25, Tue 5 Dec
It’s one thing after a bloody nother with this CEO.
14:29, Tue 5 Dec
It’s a fair point Dev, I was being facetious and I apologise.

Personally I think the timings were important because of how things fell into place and how the announcement was forced on them by Kai Rooney spilling the beans. I agree they could and should have handled it better - hindsight’s a wonderful thing - but they had to play the cards as they came and they were convinced they were swapping a knave for an ace so they went all in. Any talk of jokers or busted flushes are a bit previous. The chips may be down but there’s still plenty of hands to play and enough in the pot to play them. Not enough from the flop so far but with a decent turn we may yet see a full house. Or we’ll fold.
14:30, Tue 5 Dec
KROJim
An interesting response from the club shop on the tweeter that they are not expecting any further stock of the black kit.
Now I am sure, but may be wrong, that there was a comment made with this third kit that a lot more stock would be available so I am rather surprised to see that what is in existence now will be it.

oops