09:50, Tue 5 Dec
Yeah fair, though he took 10 points from the first 4 league games so probably had a modicum of credit in the bank despite being unconvincing. Rooney needs some results and performances to bide him time and at least show that he is somewhat capable.
Happy Clapper
Bluenose_68
If the Rooney decision is a complete disaster id imagine Cook himself will be on very dodgy ground.

The CEO at Villa lost his job for his decision to appoint Gerrard. Same principle will apply here

He should be sacked if it doesn't work out ( although as others have pointed out his off field work has been great)

If he had recommended a proven \ semi proven manager and it didn't work out then that's back luck but to bring in
an unproven manager (his mate) with 27% win rate is appauling judgement by Cook. Any reputation that cook had for being a
'football bloke' in my opinion is trashed. The decisions he has made, the handling of, the timing etc with regard to 'on field' matters are mistakes that any knowledgable football fan down the pub wouldn't make. Wagner needs to find another " British guy who knows soccer" to advise him
I would say this, we may lose a hell of a lot of momentum if we shifted Cook on so soon also, that will very much de-rail progress in all areas.

Not a trigger I would pull, I think that Rooney needs to show improvement on the pitch for sure. He is currently pushing closer to needing removal, but yes, not just there yet. Where is the line in the sand? Who knows.
I make that 7842 times that virtually the exact same words have been posted......
" blah blah blah .... Rooney shouldn't have been appointed "
It's tedious.
He's in the job. He's trying to get the squad to adjust. He needs support from us over the coming months.
It could be good for the club.
Move on !
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
generalBlue
I make that 7842 times that virtually the exact same words have been posted......
It's tedious.
He's in the job. He's trying to get the squad to adjust. He needs support from us over the coming months.
Move on !

Agree but we are talking about Cook here, not Rooney
10:09, Tue 5 Dec
we talk about 8 games not being enough which it isnt but 16/18 seems to be where owners patience finally runs outs with new managers who only pick up a couple of wins

Ranieri - 3 wins in 16 for Fulham
Tony Adams - 2 wins in 16 Portsmouth
Nathan Jones - 1 win in 18 at Southampton

Zola - 2 in 24 and he resigned

maybe Rooney will have to do the same
Bordesley not Small Heath
generalBlue
It's tedious.
Move on !

Agree but we are talking about Cook here, not Rooney

With all due respect if anyone seriously believes that Cook's position will ever be in danger of being ended during the next couple of years they are in cuckoo land.
Completely bonkers.
It's a non subject.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
have we considered the fact that Rooney might quit of his own accord ?

It would save face for Cook , save money on payoffs etc

If as has been stated he and Cook are mates then it might be that he falls on his sword rather than wait for the tin tac

not that i think its in his character to walk away but you never know
10:14, Tue 5 Dec
I'd also include Dyche at Everton
Not great last season. Only just kept them up. Didn't win for a few games at the start of this season.
Has them playing fine now. If it weren't for the points deduction they'd be midtable.

Moyes at West Ham has also been through a few poor patches. He very much seems a manager who improves the squad over several seasons. After he left Everton he banged through a few jobs including West Ham.
You don't get the best out of him unless he stays a while.

None of which means that Rooney will do well or badly in the medium term or even get a medium term.
Bluenose_68
If the Rooney decision is a complete disaster id imagine Cook himself will be on very dodgy ground.

The CEO at Villa lost his job for his decision to appoint Gerrard. Same principle will apply here

He should be sacked if it doesn't work out ( although as others have pointed out his off field work has been great)

If he had recommended a proven \ semi proven manager and it didn't work out then that's back luck but to bring in
an unproven manager (his mate) with 27% win rate is appauling judgement by Cook. Any reputation that cook had for being a
'football bloke' in my opinion is trashed. The decisions he has made, the handling of, the timing etc with regard to 'on field' matters are mistakes that any knowledgable football fan down the pub wouldn't make. Wagner needs to find another " British guy who knows soccer" to advise him

Re “the handling of, the timing of etc” do you think the decision to sack JE was made before or after the Hudds/Albion games? Do you think the decision to replace him with Rooney was made before or after Rooney missed the playoffs with DCUtd? You can’t complain about timing if you don’t know when things happened. Not even a knowledgable football fan down the pub would claim that.
10:30, Tue 5 Dec
Le Mod
Tha Project OBE
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?

Only managers I can remember who have had a start like this in recent years have been De Boer at Palace, Zola, and the Gremlin at Southampton.

Are there any that started like this and came good?

Genuinely interested, I’m struggling

Not particularly recent but I remember Marcus Bignot losing his first six or seven games when he took over at Solihull Moors. Reverted the style back to a more direct approach and better results followed. That was in the league below the conference though so it's not the best example I guess.
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
10:34, Tue 5 Dec
Le Mod
Tha Project OBE
How many of those decision making clubs have sacked a manager after he has been involved for just 8 gams?

Only managers I can remember who have had a start like this in recent years have been De Boer at Palace, Zola, and the Gremlin at Southampton.

Are there any that started like this and came good?

Genuinely interested, I’m struggling

Monk started his first proper season a bit like this but you could see what was happening on the pitch would translate into results.

Didn't win in our first 11 games or something wasn't it?
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
I really enjoyed Monkball

Thought we played some good stuff
10:39, Tue 5 Dec
My Blue Heaven
I really enjoyed Monkball

Thought we played some good stuff

we used to talk about how he got 'us' and the football reflected that

high tempo, high energy front foot etc
QBBC2
Bluenose_68

Re “the handling of, the timing of etc” do you think the decision to sack JE was made before or after the Hudds/Albion games? Do you think the decision to replace him with Rooney was made before or after Rooney missed the playoffs with DCUtd? You can’t complain about timing if you don’t know when things happened. Not even a knowledgable football fan down the pub would claim that.

I think JE was going to lose his job the second the new owners came in, which is often the case.
So to give the new manager a pre season you get him in immediately or wait and tell him the job is his
at end of season or when we were safe, not partway through season ( unless we were bottom 3 ) and not when you have allowed 12 new players into the club to play for a manager that you know you are sacking

For what it's worth i think the club have dropped Rooney right in it too by not giving him
a preseason and putting him under immediate pressure with 'no fear' nonsense talk. That was then Rooney's choice to decide if he wanted to be put into this situation