00:02, Sat 9 Dec
I hope and pray Garry isn’t reading this message board tonight
00:03, Sat 9 Dec
I think some can’t accept that unfortunately JE is a better manager than Rooney.
00:04, Sat 9 Dec
Tam
Back him
Let him have a transfer window and see how he goes.
If he can just play a system that suits our players until the transfer window with a tweak here and there just to get a few more points on the board

I agree that the abuse he gets is appalling and a lot from our own fans who were also calling for John Eustace to be sacked after the Norwich game.
00:06, Sat 9 Dec
Royalblue
At present it it would be very hard to mount a compelling argument to keep him based on our football in his first nine games. The opposite is nearer the truth and they’re plenty making it and more joining them as games pass. Rooney was not employed for his record as a manager as I see it. His record was in the main poor. He was employed because those that own the club believed he has potential. He clearly is very knowledgeable about the game as evidenced by those fans who heard him speak at the Open House. For the record I was not one of those but trust the opinions of those that were. I suspect those who appointed him are quietly reflecting on whether they have made a mistake despite what they may say in public. Given how poor we have been, it would be hard to imagine them not doing so.

I would not, despite my concerns with current form and performances, sack him. I think nine games is to short a period of time and he deserves at least one window to bring in a few players to improve us. There are significant weaknesses in the squad particularly in central midfield where Bielik has been poor all season and up front where we are crying out for a striker. I think we actually need two central midfielders in reality and a striker in January. I want Rooney to succeed. I think some of the abuse he got by some Blues fans was uncalled for. He is actually trying to improve us albeit that is not working out too well to date. He is not intentionally making us as bad as we are.

Rooney may be responding to the expectations of the owners in trying to implement a no fear, front foot, high press, possession based style of football too quickly where a more experienced manager might have told the owners that would need to wait until the summer to introduce. I also don’t want to have pay off another manager and his back room staff unless or until they have had a fair chance to prove themselves. I don’t think we will need to tell the owners that it is not working out if it comes to that. I know for many we have reached that point already but Tom Wagner is no fool and won’t hesitate to take action when it is required. I, for better or worse, trust the new owners and don’t think fans losing their temper with them at games will motivate them greatly. Results and performances will in time.

The suggestion was Eustace tried to tell them we weren't ready to change style just yet but they ignored him. Ironic they were so impatient given how patient they told us we had to be when they first took over. Hence why I don't believe playing style was the reason for changing manager but the excuse. They did it when they did because Rooney was available.
00:09, Sat 9 Dec
Back him
Let him have a transfer window and see how he goes.
If he can just play a system that suits our players until the transfer window with a tweak here and there just to get a few more points on the board

I agree that the abuse he gets is appalling and a lot from our own fans who were also calling for John Eustace to be sacked after the Norwich game.

but you're just making excuses for him.

Why ?

We were promised a "winning mentality" not an "excuse mentality"

JE has proven by now that given the same tools as Rooney he is a better manager and managed to turn this lot into a coherent, happy, confident team who could get enough points out of games to move up to sixth place.

Now if you want someone better than JE then fine ... but stop insulting me by claiming that person is Rooney !
00:20, Sat 9 Dec
Bluestaines
Royalblue
At present it it would be very hard to mount a compelling argument to keep him based on our football in his first nine games. The opposite is nearer the truth and they’re plenty making it and more joining them as games pass. Rooney was not employed for his record as a manager as I see it. His record was in the main poor. He was employed because those that own the club believed he has potential. He clearly is very knowledgeable about the game as evidenced by those fans who heard him speak at the Open House. For the record I was not one of those but trust the opinions of those that were. I suspect those who appointed him are quietly reflecting on whether they have made a mistake despite what they may say in public. Given how poor we have been, it would be hard to imagine them not doing so.

I would not, despite my concerns with current form and performances, sack him. I think nine games is to short a period of time and he deserves at least one window to bring in a few players to improve us. There are significant weaknesses in the squad particularly in central midfield where Bielik has been poor all season and up front where we are crying out for a striker. I think we actually need two central midfielders in reality and a striker in January. I want Rooney to succeed. I think some of the abuse he got by some Blues fans was uncalled for. He is actually trying to improve us albeit that is not working out too well to date. He is not intentionally making us as bad as we are.

Rooney may be responding to the expectations of the owners in trying to implement a no fear, front foot, high press, possession based style of football too quickly where a more experienced manager might have told the owners that would need to wait until the summer to introduce. I also don’t want to have pay off another manager and his back room staff unless or until they have had a fair chance to prove themselves. I don’t think we will need to tell the owners that it is not working out if it comes to that. I know for many we have reached that point already but Tom Wagner is no fool and won’t hesitate to take action when it is required. I, for better or worse, trust the new owners and don’t think fans losing their temper with them at games will motivate them greatly. Results and performances will in time.

The suggestion was Eustace tried to tell them we weren't ready to change style just yet but they ignored him. Ironic they were so impatient given how patient they told us we had to be when they first took over. Hence why I don't believe playing style was the reason for changing manager but the excuse. They did it when they did because Rooney was available.

I don’t doubt that personally but having bought the club I guess it was their call who they wanted to manage the team. They did not handle that very well but it is water under the bridge now. They are inexperienced owners and will get some things wrong. It looks like Rooney might be their first mistake and my point is they will realise that themselves in due course. Sacking him now only nine games in is not going to look good and attract just the sort of media they don’t want. They will have a line in the sand I am sure and it might change if results do not improve. Mistakes in life are unavoidable, it is not doing anything about that is the real problem. One way or another they will sort it out but right now I can’t see three worse teams in the division than us and if I can see that I am sure they can to.
00:25, Sat 9 Dec
While the media comment is a good point, I’d argue we’ve been getting nothing but bad media coverage in terms of the football since Rooney come in. And if not bad; it’s just people laughing at us for making such a stupid decision.
00:27, Sat 9 Dec
Tam
Common agreement is that we don’t have much if anything to spend in January, and the big overhaul comes in the summer

The question is, does anyone see this manager with this squad of players suddenly picking up?
00:28, Sat 9 Dec
They are inexperienced but that was supposed to be why they employed Cook.
00:29, Sat 9 Dec
Tam
Look, let's be honest, it's gone about we badly as we all expected it would. It's been awful with minimal signs of encouragement (that's generous) and no signs of future improvement.

There are, of course, some fans who will defend the club to the hilt either out of blind faith or a desire to look more intelligent than other fans, but we're seeing in real time just how poor the change has been.

There may be a long term improvement, I am personally happy to wait to see if there is until around March, but I am not convinced there will be.

Personally, the circumstances we are in now are irreconcilable unless we, inexplicably, win a few on the bounce.

Can't see it though.

My prediction, we see this charade out until trouble in the spring, sack him for a short term miracle worker, and go again in the close season.

See you all in June, because who can be arsed with watching any more of that shite.
H

Consistently correct.
00:30, Sat 9 Dec
Iain_Gavin
Common agreement is that we don’t have much if anything to spend in January, and the big overhaul comes in the summer

The question is, does anyone see this manager with this squad of players suddenly picking up?

Nope
H

Consistently correct.
00:33, Sat 9 Dec
Nikola Zigic
Iain_Gavin

Nope

Hindsight and all that, but Cook trying to run before he can walk with the 1st team. With the rebuild and overhaul going on in every corner of the football club, and no money to spend until 2024, he could have left the first team alone, especially after the start, the goodwill, the fans united etc, and if we had defaulted to the norm and stagnated in mid table, then make the change in the summer, give the new guy 6 weeks of pre season to drill them physically and tactically and give it a proper go next season.
00:39, Sat 9 Dec
Tam
At the start of this season nobody believed we would be anywhere near the top 6, most agreed on mid table. The teams at the bottom are genuine dross and we have enough about us to stay above them.

So why sack Rooney at this stage? He has to be given the Jan window to get his own players in. Having done that, if he hasn't got a tune out of them by the middle of March then consider his future on the basis of the next gaffer having a bit of time to look at things.

When Eddie Howe took over at Newcastle he won one of his first nine games, got to January, couple of players in and the rest is history. I'm not daft enough to compare us to the Geordies and their set up, or even Rooney compared to Howe, just saying that we are not going to get anywhere if we sack every manager who doesn't have a half decent first 10 games.
I didn’t expect it to go badly. And when it started badly I didn’t expect the badness to persist. Feck knows if it will improve, I hope it does and I think it might.

I read a lot about Rooney when rumours, which I thought were nonsense, first emerged that we might want him. I was pleasantly surprised by what I read, if not convinced. What had seen too. I don’t buy into the notion that he was crap at Derby. I read more when we appointed him and again was pleasantly surprised.

I hoped it was a moneyball type malarkey…. His stats not telling the whole story kind of thing, an underlying value being hidden. I hope that’s still the case. Even if he gets the boot tomorrow I hope that’s still the case.

There’s no glossing over it now though. Recent performances have been rotten.
00:42, Sat 9 Dec
Tam
The only reason and it is the only reason it seems farcical to get rid of someone after nine games. Especially when those games have included Ipswich Sunderland Coventry Southampton. All teams either at the top or in last years play offs. It’s thin gruel I know.