17:07, Tue 16 Jan
I think you’d struggle to find someone who isnt a football fan who could do that role adequately
17:07, Tue 16 Jan
Maybe, but it's to be expected that the bloke running the EPL is somewhat into football and follows a team.

In the same way Political commentators would have one time been Politics students and had a preference of party etc

It should not impact their job if they are good at it
Happy Clapper
17:08, Tue 16 Jan
Maybe, but it's to be expected that the bloke running the EPL is somewhat into football and follows a team.

probably shouldn’t be a team in that division tho should it?

was just something i read recently regards all the EPL FFP shenanigans going on and made me stop to think, seemed a bit of an oddity albeit i wouldn’t be batting an eyelid if he supported Newcastle or City lol!

i still don’t understand how AVFC have kept the right side of FFP this last decade tho
17:11, Tue 16 Jan
derbyblue

It should make no difference though should it, if he supported Blues and we got promoted people wouldn't then expect him to be sacked.

He's a fan of a team, it's intangible, he's not a paid employee of them. I doubt he has complete autonomy to make decisions anyway.
Happy Clapper
17:33, Tue 16 Jan
derbyblue

was just something i read recently regards all the EPL FFP shenanigans going on and made me stop to think, seemed a bit of an oddity albeit i wouldn’t be batting an eyelid if he supported Newcastle or City lol!

i still don’t understand how AVFC have kept the right side of FFP this last decade tho

I think you are making something that isn't there. It's not an issue. Would you sack someone good as their team got promoted. That level of business, who they support is irrelevant.

If he was showing favouritism, the clubs (who have the power in reality) would have him out in seconds.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
17:36, Tue 16 Jan
derbyblue

Two words

Shaun effing Harvey.
17:37, Tue 16 Jan
its actually Jack Grealish

got them up by the skin of their teeth to avoid staying down and being punished, and then sold on for 100mil to allow them to keep spending
17:38, Tue 16 Jan
Sheep2
derbyblue

Two words

Shaun effing Harvey.

Twoish
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
17:49, Tue 16 Jan
More to the point Harvey helped them (and Sheffield Wednesday) by advising them to sell the ground to a related company.
That stopped them being charged with a breach in the period to 30 June 2018.

He could have done the same for us. It would have wiped our breach out though i think we would have messed up a year later as we had to sell Che and the ground then to avoid a second breach.

Sheffield Wednesday were even advised to backdate the sale. Though they managed to fail to complete it and got caught for the breach anyway.

For 2018-19 AVFC spent way in excess of Championship limits, but the PL refused at the time to enforce Championship rules. They would have busted the £39m 3 year loss rule in one season. To be fair a few other clubs did similar things.
17:54, Tue 16 Jan
If only Xia had had access to another £5-10m they would have been screwed.
He could have kept them going through the Summer 2018 transfer window and by the time they reached the January window they would have been too far behind.
17:56, Tue 16 Jan
derbyblue
might be clutching at straws, but isn’t it a conflict of interests to be having a self confessed AVFC fan heading up the running of the EPL (Richard Masters)

It’s clutching at straws mate
17:57, Tue 16 Jan
Sheep2
derbyblue

Two words

Shaun effing Harvey.

One of the biggest chunts in football imo
11:04, Wed 17 Jan
For those interested in this subject, the Athletic pod yesterday was a really good explainer into all this.

Particularly interesting was the subject of Man City and why some fans think they're "getting away with it". They explained that most of their charges are accusations of lying and the consequences of accusing the head of the UAE of defrauding major institutions, along with fans. Makes you realise how stupid the PL and the government were in allowing (in Newcastle's case, pushing) state-ownership.
11:10, Wed 17 Jan
Is that fella who has worked himself in at Wrexham?
11:12, Wed 17 Jan
yea its a joke, they need to hurry up with the City case as its helping simpletons shout about how unfair it is on Everton etc, but its a ridiculously complex case, far more than the black and white breaches.

will have a listen to that pod today, i saw the story about the Newcastle CEO being in hot water for acting on behalf of MBS, PIF are not the state though!