12:46, Mon 15 Jan
A_n_E
i think the first thing that should be done is cleaning up the whole transfer process. Agents are paid a set % of the transfer when completed and that % applies to every transfer from league 2 up to the saudi league. when an agent contacts a club they must show a signbed contract for the player they are representing etc. the transfer figure is known from the get go. no money paid via 3rd parties through the caymen islands etc.

the amount of money siphoned off is incredible and it really shouldnt happen in such a high profile industry.

Clubs don't want that.

There's loads of dirty money sloshing around in football.
Outside Western Europe third party ownership of contracts is very common. A club has a young player they can't quite afford but who is a big prospect. They sell part of the sales rights which means they keep him for a bit and get more overall when he is sold. Sometimes it is legitimate, sometimes less so. There's lots of money disappears (or sometimes appears) in international transfers.

Plenty of people work more than one side of transfers as well so they may represent the seller, the buyer and the player. There are all sorts of opportunities there.
12:57, Mon 15 Jan
Le Mod
Rab C Nesbitt
HackneyBlue
Le Mod
Champions League qualification is worth around £75M+ isn't it? Let's hope they go on a bad run

yea, watched them yesterday for the first time in a while and im far from convinced they make it, fingers crossed
Problem is there’s not 4 other team’s churning out points like them effers are

Still very likely to be top 5 too, they need to collapse and one of the those currently outside the top 5 needs a run

Horrible to say, but I'm convinced they are going to be Champs league next season, as well as having won the Euro version of the DAF windscreen wiper trophy they are currently in. They won't care it's a joke comp either, it'll be a cup, something they are desperate for. Tossers.
Up the feckin Blues
13:18, Mon 15 Jan
Everton are pointing to stadium expenditure as part of their argument but I thought infrastructure spending doesn’t count towards ffp/p&s?
Gazball?
16:45, Mon 15 Jan
Everton mentioned something in their statement I hadn't remembered.

When we got done, our rolling loss was reset to zero so we had a chance to get back into compliance. The Premier League don't do that; hence Everton are being done for the second year in succession. They're also claiming if their appeal is successful, this season's breach also doesn't happen. Think the PL have effed up here.
16:49, Mon 15 Jan
Double jeopardy

Seems harsh to me

Don’t like Everton much though.
17:14, Mon 15 Jan
annoying if they have messed it up, won't help the noise protesting how unfair it is that they've been crap at spending money
17:44, Mon 15 Jan
Bluesince62
Le Mod
Rab C Nesbitt
HackneyBlue
Le Mod
Champions League qualification is worth around £75M+ isn't it? Let's hope they go on a bad run

yea, watched them yesterday for the first time in a while and im far from convinced they make it, fingers crossed
Problem is there’s not 4 other team’s churning out points like them effers are

Still very likely to be top 5 too, they need to collapse and one of the those currently outside the top 5 needs a run

Horrible to say, but I'm convinced they are going to be Champs league next season, as well as having won the Euro version of the DAF windscreen wiper trophy they are currently in. They won't care it's a joke comp either, it'll be a cup, something they are desperate for. Tossers.

Might be wrong here, but that 5th Champions League place is by no means guaranteed for English clubs, is it? Could certainly see them falling out of the top four if Spurs can get their act together. Having said all that, bollox to em.
17:48, Mon 15 Jan
No it’s not guaranteed but it’s very likely
Happy Clapper
18:13, Mon 15 Jan
Mozball
Everton are pointing to stadium expenditure as part of their argument but I thought infrastructure spending doesn’t count towards ffp/p&s?

It’s a techy accounting point relating to interest, rather than construction, cost. Part of Everton’s defence is that interest payments on the debt incurred to finance the new stadium should be allowed as infrastructure cost. The independent commission disagreed

On this point I have some sympathy with Everton as the EFL rules (I’m not familiar with the Premier League rules) simply state whatever cost has been capitalised is deducted from the P&S result, which would include such interest.
Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can’t face reality
18:20, Mon 15 Jan
Senor_Droolcup
Mozball

It’s a techy accounting point relating to interest, rather than construction, cost. Part of Everton’s defence is that interest payments on the debt incurred to finance the new stadium should be allowed as infrastructure cost. The independent commission disagreed

On this point I have some sympathy with Everton as the EFL rules (I’m not familiar with the Premier League rules) simply state whatever cost has been capitalised is deducted from the P&S result, which would include such interest.

Nice one, thank you.

Does seem harsh but they must’ve known the interest fees would be included.
Gazball?
18:36, Mon 15 Jan
Everton wrote off massive Covid losses. Much more than any other club. It was almost as if they dumped everything there regardless. I'm not sure they deserve that much sympathy.

They are in a horrific mess anyway. 777 Partners are unlikely to be good news. They'd most likely try to sell and leaseback the new stadium. But without them any new owner will first have to pay off the £140m loan.

I think it is quite likely someone will rescue them if they stay up.
18:43, Mon 15 Jan
Feck Everton and feck Forest. Hope they get taken for everything.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
19:03, Mon 15 Jan
Senor_Droolcup
Mozball

It's more complex than that.

Everton borrowed from Moshiri to build the new ground. The loan was interest-free, presumably to give Moshiri an interest in the ground. Therefore there are no repayment costs to fall within P&S.

Afterwards, Everton then borrowed from two lenders - one was Metro Bank, can't remember the other - to pay off other debts and to invest in the team.

Some time later (I think a year), Everton then sussed that they were in deep P&S shtuk. One way they tried to get £20m off the expenditure was, in essence, to swap those loans around. So they could claim the £20m interest on the "performance" loan was on the "ground" loan.

The PL actually caught that. It led to some chat and Everton came up with a payment plan to get back on the right side, which acknowledged that this Metro loan was NOT a stadium loan, and could NOT be used to offset against expenditure.

Then they could not keep up with the payment plan, and part of their defence was, well, yes, we agreed all this, but it's not fair, we could have done it the other way around and it would not have been a problem.

But they didn't. So it is.
20:24, Mon 15 Jan
does anyone know if our friends over the road are at risk in this?

they don’t seem to be splashing the cash lately, so it’s a pity that Dick Emery has sorted the existing squad out

they seemed to steam roller finances in their EFL days and the playoff last ditch promotion along with the £100m received for JG likely saved them but, given their spend in previous years, i wondered how close to the wind they are sailing on this?

also - are the figures for FFP in the premier league publicly available - it’s like having a league table of that seems more applicable now than points on the board obtained from matches!

some teams are blatantly taking the proverbial but we don’t get to know who until the EPL announce it, not much room for cover ups then !!
20:52, Mon 15 Jan
They are ok for this season. But won't be able to spend much in the Summer. It's likely to be a problem if they are in the Europa League or even the CL. They don't have enough of a squad to cope with two big competitions. So likely they'll drop back a fair bit next season.

As for the rest of this season neither Man Utd nor Newcastle are in Europe now I expect at least one of them to put a good run together in the league.