11:46, Tue 16 Jan
Le Mod
Maybe it's because of the threat of an independent regulator? Call me cynical but it's a bit coincidental that they start stamping down when it's being debated in parliament. Though I accept it could just be coincidental timing

[twitter.com]

Interesting synopsis from Martin Calladine on today's DCMS Committee discussion between the heads of both the Premier League and the EFL shows why an independent regulator is both necessary and inevitable.
11:59, Tue 16 Jan
A_n_E
i think the first thing that should be done is cleaning up the whole transfer process. Agents are paid a set % of the transfer when completed and that % applies to every transfer from league 2 up to the saudi league. when an agent contacts a club they must show a signbed contract for the player they are representing etc. the transfer figure is known from the get go. no money paid via 3rd parties through the caymen islands etc.

the amount of money siphoned off is incredible and it really shouldnt happen in such a high profile industry.

Said on the athletic pod the other day that football is in the top 3 industries listed as the most effective way of laundering money. Even owners that lose money are actually making money in some cases.
12:05, Tue 16 Jan
Isn't Forest and Everton an interesting situation because they are on opposition sides of the same coin.

Everton. Ever present in the top flight, coining it in as a result year after year. They start every season with an inbuilt advantage over the promoted sides, an ability to keep making mistakes on signings and managers but seemingly still have the finance to keep their best players and buy more. Rinse and repeat. Despite this advantage they have pushed it to far and broke the rules of FFP, I have no sympathy.

Forest. As a long term championship club the Everton's of this world force them into two paths upon promotion. Don't spend, probably get relegated, but use the finances to make your next promotion or the one after that more sustainable. Not exactly a thrilling prospect for fans (albeit I would swap for that atm!). Or spend what you need in order to compete quickly, paying inflated fees and wages and then get mullered with FFP.

If we are harder on the Evertons then the Forests may not have such a reach when promoted.
12:06, Tue 16 Jan
bluer than blues
A_n_E
i think the first thing that should be done is cleaning up the whole transfer process. Agents are paid a set % of the transfer when completed and that % applies to every transfer from league 2 up to the saudi league. when an agent contacts a club they must show a signbed contract for the player they are representing etc. the transfer figure is known from the get go. no money paid via 3rd parties through the caymen islands etc.

the amount of money siphoned off is incredible and it really shouldnt happen in such a high profile industry.

Said on the athletic pod the other day that football is in the top 3 industries listed as the most effective way of laundering money. Even owners that lose money are actually making money in some cases.

That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone
12:09, Tue 16 Jan
i agree with you mostly but you present it as two binary options when really there is a middle ground.

plenty of clubs have come up and stayed up without spending 200million and signing 30 players.

it was a trolley dash which raised eyebrows at the time and now they are being punished for it.

gave Lingard a 100k+ contract and then replaced him with Gibbs White for 30million in the same window.

Fulham and Bmouth both came up that season, didnt go too wild, and both seem relatively settled now
12:18, Tue 16 Jan
Super Hans
Feck Everton and feck Forest. Hope they get taken for everything.

😂

My thoughts exactly. If you break the rules...
12:33, Tue 16 Jan
HackneyBlue
i agree with you mostly but you present it as two binary options when really there is a middle ground.

plenty of clubs have come up and stayed up without spending 200million and signing 30 players.

it was a trolley dash which raised eyebrows at the time and now they are being punished for it.

gave Lingard a 100k+ contract and then replaced him with Gibbs White for 30million in the same window.

Fulham and Bmouth both came up that season, didnt go too wild, and both seem relatively settled now

True but both had pretty recent previous experience in the Prem. Bournemouth were in for 5 seasons before relegation and were promoted back within 2. Fulham have spent most of the last 2 decades the Premier league and arguably recently have done the bounce up and down route to stability.

Brighton and Brentford are the only two clubs who you could argue have come up from long long stints outside of the top flight, not gone comparatively mad and stablised as solid premier league teams in recent years. I agree Forest went mad beyond belief but you can understand why to a degree.
12:45, Tue 16 Jan
Have to agree.

I remember when Everton got the first points deduction and someone mentioned that they sold Digne and had a chance to bank that money to cover their P&S limits. Instead, they went and spent £18m on Mykolenko. They've spent an absolute fortune since Moshiri arrived and the only surprise should be that it's taken them this long to get punished.
13:17, Tue 16 Jan
Mowbrays Toe & Knee
El Mayor
Mowbrays Toe & Knee
i'm really confused now, as didn't Vile get away with it because they got promoted ?

EFL couldn't enforce their rules upon them cos they weren't in the Championship any more, and the PL were far more lax.

This is my recollection which could be wrong.

That was my recollection too, so wondering what has changed to make the PL go after forest for their loses in the championship.

From 2016/17, when there became some alignment in the methods of P&S, the PL could (should) always take Championship losses into account - as they are doing now. Why they didn't with the Vile is and probably will remain... a mystery!
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
13:31, Tue 16 Jan
El Mayor
bluer than blues
A_n_E

That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone
Especially Blues fans
Tony Fantastico
13:39, Tue 16 Jan
The suggestion I've seen is that certain Premier League clubs believed the FFP/PS rules were worth breaking because they wrongly assumed the worst they would incur was a fine.

The threat of the independent regulator and subsequent loss of control has forced the Premier League's hand to start coming down heavy on rulebreakers, in a bid to appear capable of self regulating.
13:54, Tue 16 Jan
bluer than blues
Have to agree.

I remember when Everton got the first points deduction and someone mentioned that they sold Digne and had a chance to bank that money to cover their P&S limits. Instead, they went and spent £18m on Mykolenko. They've spent an absolute fortune since Moshiri arrived and the only surprise should be that it's taken them this long to get punished.

Makes you wonder where the money has been coming from.

The same with Forest. Their owner seems to have his finger in a lot of pies.

Maybe it is just coincidence that the PL has gone after the two dodgiest owners first. If they can pick those off than maybe one or two other clubs will start to get nervous.
14:57, Tue 16 Jan
Sheep2
bluer than blues
Have to agree.

Makes you wonder where the money has been coming from.

The same with Forest. Their owner seems to have his finger in a lot of pies.

Maybe it is just coincidence that the PL has gone after the two dodgiest owners first. If they can pick those off than maybe one or two other clubs will start to get nervous.

Yep. I definitely agree with Le Mod's point though about the independent regulator and the sudden interest in cleaning house from the PL.

One thing is for sure though and that is the rules are working regarding reigning in spending. I've read many articles about clubs like Arsenal and Newcastle refraining from doing deals because they don't want to break the limits. If the PL stay the course, you'd imagine this would eventually filter into transfer fees, agents fees, and wages, bringing the whole lot (rightfully) down.
15:12, Tue 16 Jan
It won't. It's just a slight pause. The new TV deals are larger than ever so the upwards march will continue.
The football machine is voracious.

You can guarantee people are working on new ways to get round the regulations.
17:05, Tue 16 Jan
might be clutching at straws, but isn’t it a conflict of interests to be having a self confessed AVFC fan heading up the running of the EPL (Richard Masters)