22:28, Mon 29 Jan
We don't have anyone else who does what Sunjic does at the moment. I'm not convinced we won't offer him a new contract in the summer. It's going to be James leaving IMO. Maybe this window.
22:33, Mon 29 Jan
We shouldn’t want any other midfielders who do what Sunjic does. He wins the ball and gives it straight back - counterproductive.

Hopefully we now have midfielders who’ll cover ground and keep it.
Bacuna / Pritchard
James / Paik
Sunjic / Dozzell

Decent options on paper and hopefully will actually get a good look at Hall at some point this year too.
22:35, Mon 29 Jan
yeehaw
We don't have anyone else who does what Sunjic does at the moment. I'm not convinced we won't offer him a new contract in the summer. It's going to be James leaving IMO. Maybe this window.

We need less of what Sunjic does never mind anyone else who does it.
22:39, Mon 29 Jan
yeehaw

I mean this genuinely. I don’t see why we need someone to do what Sunjic does? And, even if we do, I would hope that very soon we can sign someone in his mould who is considerably better.

I think his time is, correctly, up.
23:06, Mon 29 Jan
La Fine Della Strada
We shouldn’t want any other midfielders who do what Sunjic does. He wins the ball and gives it straight back - counterproductive.

Icm2023

Redditch Blue
I mean this genuinely. I don’t see why we need someone to do what Sunjic does? And, even if we do, I would hope that very soon we can sign someone in his mould who is considerably better.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this view. You need players that can break up the game and give balance sometimes. For all his faults, Sunjic is great at that and he's improved loads this season. Have the stats to back that last sentence up too.

Even if he leaves in the summer, I guarantee we get someone with a similar toolbox in like George Byers.
23:08, Mon 29 Jan
yeehaw
La Fine Della Strada

Icm2023

Redditch Blue

I'm sorry but I don't buy this view. You need players that can break up the game and give balance sometimes. For all his faults, Sunjic is great at that and he's improved loads this season. Have the stats to back that last sentence up too.

You do know you can break up the play whilst being technically sound right?
23:11, Mon 29 Jan
Icm2023
yeehaw
La Fine Della Strada

Icm2023

Redditch Blue

Yes, midfielders who have an engine like Sunjic, break up play, AND making meaningful attacking contributions are rare -- and cost loads.
23:20, Mon 29 Jan
yeehaw
Icm2023
yeehaw
La Fine Della Strada

Icm2023

Redditch Blue

Yes, midfielders who have an engine like Sunjic, break up play, AND making meaningful attacking contributions are rare -- and cost loads.

He don’t need to make meaningful attacking contributions. Just keeping the ball would be fine.
23:41, Mon 29 Jan
Icm2023
He don’t need to make meaningful attacking contributions. Just keeping the ball would be fine.

And do what with it? Passing it or driving forward with it is an attacking contribution.
23:50, Mon 29 Jan
yeehaw
Icm2023

And do what with it? Passing it or driving forward with it is an attacking contribution.

Pass it to a blue shirt. Every other midfielder in the league can do it don’t know why we are happy to just accept someone who runs loads.
23:58, Mon 29 Jan
His pass completion rate this season is 4 points higher than the squad average. He has the third highest number of assists, and the highest actual number of assists vs. expected assists in the squad. He has the fifth most successful key passes, just 6 behind Stansfield. He has our fourth highest number of passes into penalty area, tied with JJ. He has a far higher pass completion rate than some of our other midfielders -- for example Bacuna -- who he beats in terms of short, medium AND long passes -- though Bacuna attempts our most progressive passes by far.

He's really not that bad this season*

*I know I said otherwise in a different thread earlier, but I've really dove into his stats since then. He's nowhere near our worst passer.
00:01, Tue 30 Jan
yeehaw
His pass completion rate this season is 4 points higher than the squad average. He has the third highest number of assists, and the highest actual number of assists vs. expected assists in the squad. He has the fifth most successful key passes, just 6 behind Stansfield. He has our fourth highest number of passes into penalty area, tied with JJ. He has a far higher pass completion rate than some of our other midfielders -- for example Bacuna -- who he beats in terms of short, medium AND long passes -- though Bacuna attempts our most progressive passes by far.

He's really not that bad.
Good points.
If TM wants to play him then I will trust his judgement rather than moany fans on a football forum.
00:01, Tue 30 Jan
All about opinions. But I’m in your camp. Sunjic’s passing is often diabolical. At the level of football he is playing at, it’s just too often not good enough, regardless of whatever else he does or doesn’t do.
Redditch Blue
All about opinions. But I’m in your camp. Sunjic’s passing is often diabolical. At the level of football he is playing at, it’s just too often not good enough, regardless of whatever else he does or doesn’t do.
Under TM too..? Stats that yeehaw posted seem to contradict your point of view.