15:04, Thu 8 Feb
Le Mod
Dirty Bertie
I find it strange that some who would happily accept €5m for Bacuna also thought we shouldn't accept much less than £20m for James.

Agreed the latter has potential to improve but even so that is a ridiculous discrepancy in the relative valuations.

In addition there is, I believe, a significant sell on to Rangers for Bacuna.

Not really, James is 7 years younger, you can buy him, get service, and still make money. James also has a longer contract and crucially there was a bidding war, very in demand, from very wealthy clubs.

Circa 15 is fair for James imo, 5 is fair for Bacuna, nobody from the top 6 of this league, or anyone from the Prem, is going to be in for Bacuna, as much as I like him.

Fair enough re the sell on, that does impact things

I think clubs bidding would factor in that Bacuna has had a season in the Prem and from memory didn't set the world alight, then it took two more seasons before he left Huddersfield, where he went to Rangers where it didn't work out before joining us fairly cheaply. With his track record, at 26, it does suggest there is a cap on where he can get to.
15:04, Thu 8 Feb
Le Mod
Dirty Bertie
I find it strange that some who would happily accept €5m for Bacuna also thought we shouldn't accept much less than £20m for James.

Agreed the latter has potential to improve but even so that is a ridiculous discrepancy in the relative valuations.

In addition there is, I believe, a significant sell on to Rangers for Bacuna.

Not really, James is 7 years younger, you can buy him, get service, and still make money. James also has a longer contract and crucially there was a bidding war, very in demand, from very wealthy clubs.

Circa 15 is fair for James imo, 5 is fair for Bacuna, nobody from the top 6 of this league, or anyone from the Prem, is going to be in for Bacuna, as much as I like him.

Fair enough re the sell on, that does impact things

Aside from Atalanta's reported interest I am not sure that there was ever a "bidding war" for James. Newspaper talk maybe but was there ever any genuine bids.

And is there much difference in the length of unexpired contracts for the two.

I'm afraid that we may be guilty on here of undervaluing one whilst overvaluing the other.
15:11, Thu 8 Feb
yeehaw
Sam'The Man'Cosgrove
TrickyBlue
My initial thought was they can feck off, €5m for probably our best player so far this season?

Then I read the comments and was even more baffled. €5m is nothing in todays market.

One of the few players in our squad that can score and assist but people want to ship him off to Turkey for a few mill. Bizarre.

If what we can do with a €5m fee would represent a significant portion of our summer spend, then I’d be fine with it.

But if we are already sitting on an absolute war chest as some have implied, then why bother weakening the squad for the rest of the season to add a tiny bit more wriggle room in July?

As has been explained, it's not the cash it's the FFP implications.

It basically gives us £4m headroom in the losses calculation. No point having a war chest if you can't spend it.

The £4m goes in one year as pure profit so to wipe that out you'd need to spend £20m on a player on a fiver year contract.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
15:15, Thu 8 Feb
We can’t know for sure but there were at least 5 wealthy clubs linked

I just don’t think the two deals are comparable and the difference in asking prices is therefore clear

James is a 19 year old with a great National reputation, starting every game for Wales, he’s an investment, even if he struggles you’ll get a good chunk of your money back, Bacuna isn’t, he’s a risk, and you’re very unlikely to make money.

Let me put it this way, when Bacuna eventually leaves Blues (assuming this doesn’t happen) I am 100% confident that it will be for a lot less than 5M
Happy Clapper
15:36, Thu 8 Feb
Quite possibly true regarding the final sale value of Bacuna.

However, I am still convinced that James wasn't the subject of serious interest (apart from Atalanta) and certainly not for the sort of figure being suggested on here.

Wales caps don't generate the sort of value that those for England do. And JJ has not been a guaranteed starter for us.
15:38, Thu 8 Feb
Nikola Zigic
yeehaw
Sam'The Man'Cosgrove
TrickyBlue
My initial thought was they can feck off, €5m for probably our best player so far this season?

Then I read the comments and was even more baffled. €5m is nothing in todays market.

One of the few players in our squad that can score and assist but people want to ship him off to Turkey for a few mill. Bizarre.

If what we can do with a €5m fee would represent a significant portion of our summer spend, then I’d be fine with it.

But if we are already sitting on an absolute war chest as some have implied, then why bother weakening the squad for the rest of the season to add a tiny bit more wriggle room in July?

It basically gives us £4m headroom in the losses calculation. No point having a war chest if you can't spend it.

The £4m goes in one year as pure profit so to wipe that out you'd need to spend £20m on a player on a fiver year contract.

I obviously understand the FFP situation and how receiving fees affects that, which is why I used the words I did:

If what we can do with a €5m fee would represent a significant portion of our summer spend...

The FFP calculation is not as simple as you (and others) are making out. Receiving a £4m fee does not magically mean we can spend £20m more on fees in July. There are other factors to consider, including where we already stand with FFP.

It's irrelevant to my point anyway, which was: If we already have an adequate *spendable* transfer budget in July -- which seems to be the case -- why weaken the squad? Bacuna won't be easy to replace IMO.
15:39, Thu 8 Feb
Fair enough, James’ ceiling is way way higher than Bacuna’s imo, that’s the main reason why they’re different values, but there are other reasons as mentioned above (reputation, age, contract, resale value)
Happy Clapper
15:44, Thu 8 Feb
On the other hand he does something brilliant so often, his highlight reel looks absolutely amazing, some coach may fancy himself as the man to get some consistency out of Bacuna.

The talent is obviously there, just that consistency is needed.
15:46, Thu 8 Feb
Onel Hernandez
On the other hand he does something brilliant so often, his highlight reel looks absolutely amazing, some coach may fancy himself as the man to get some consistency out of Bacuna.

The talent is obviously there, just that consistency is needed.

He works his arse off as well. And is a competent RB/RWB when asked, without kicking up a stink. Rare for flair players like him IMO. And probably needed given Laird is made of pasta
15:51, Thu 8 Feb
I wouldn't dispute that James would probably attract higher bids than Bacuna due to age and, thus, potential and possible resale value.

However, I don't agree that his value is "way,way higher".
15:57, Thu 8 Feb
yeehaw
Nikola Zigic
yeehaw
Sam'The Man'Cosgrove
TrickyBlue

I obviously understand the FFP situation and how receiving fees affects that, which is why I used the words I did:

If what we can do with a €5m fee would represent a significant portion of our summer spend...

The FFP calculation is not as simple as you (and others) are making out. Receiving a £4m fee does not magically mean we can spend £20m more on fees in July. There are other factors to consider, including where we already stand with FFP.

Yeah agree, I think a lot of people think that with the calculations we can spend 3x the amount we receive and it doesn’t really matter. The very reason we’re screwed with ffp currently is down to signing players without considering the future.
16:03, Thu 8 Feb
I think we're going to be trying to bring in better or rather more consistent players than the likes of Bacuna and Dembele in the summer

if we have an opportunity to offload now for a few quid it probably makes sense
16:09, Thu 8 Feb
Selling one of our most consistently available players when we have no chance to replace him? Bad idea however tempting the money is.

Bacuna has plugged a lot of gaps for us this season and with such an injury prone squad, I think this would be a mistake.
16:09, Thu 8 Feb
I effing love Bacuna, but at this stage in his contract and given we’re more than stocked on midfielders until the summer, I think we’d have to seriously consider £5m when we signed him for a bag of wotsits.

I’ll be happy if he stays, I’ll completely understand if he goes.
16:10, Thu 8 Feb
Sunik
Selling one of our most consistently available players when we have no chance to replace him? Bad idea however tempting the money is.

Bacuna has plugged a lot of gaps for us this season and with such an injury prone squad, I think this would be a mistake.

So annoying that you fluctuate between being a serious poster / an absolute piss taker