12:03, Fri 24 May
Why should it be lower?
If the Europa League champions wants Jordan James then be fair and let him go.

One that can go with my blessing.
H

Consistently correct and proven right.
12:04, Fri 24 May
bruggeaway
Why should it be lower?

three words for you mate

Relegation release clause.

Get used to them
12:04, Fri 24 May
bruggeaway
Why should it be lower?

because we are in league one and our negotiating position is weaker

if we'd have let him go in January, we could have potentially had 2 european cup winners from the academy by next week
12:05, Fri 24 May
bruggeaway
Why should it be lower?

With relegation to the English third division, Birmingham will lower their demands

Not sure if that’s a suggestion from them, or we actually have.
12:09, Fri 24 May
It would make sense to sell yes but we are are in a much better financial position that in the past meaning that we don't actually have to sell or be knocked down significantly in our asking prices...Hold out stick out for the 10👍
12:10, Fri 24 May
El Mayor
bruggeaway
Why should it be lower?

three words for you mate

Get used to them

Myoshi and Paik ??
If I had the wings of a sparrow
12:11, Fri 24 May
if theres a clause as Mayor suggested then we can't hold out for anything anyway.

but we stopped him going in January, instead of a Europa League medal he got relegated to League 1, if he wants to go, then we shouldn't stop him, and sounds like we cant anyway
12:22, Fri 24 May
Cattellroadcorner
El Mayor
bruggeaway
Why should it be lower?

three words for you mate

Get used to them

Myoshi and Paik ??

Very possibly. Bielik maybe too if you think about it.

I don't know for sure who has one but I've heard some players do - and that means we're not going to be able to hold out for as much as people think on those players.
12:24, Fri 24 May
Release clauses are a different story altogether and if these are in place then yes our hands are tied to a certain extent however still doesn't mean we should be letting players go for a pittance like we have done for so many years.
12:28, Fri 24 May
So how does this work Dan? The player obviously has the power to move from the club with such a clause in place but financially how does that work? For example if the maximum bid for James was say 3m from all interested parties would we have to sell at that price?
12:52, Fri 24 May
bruggeaway
So how does this work Dan? The player obviously has the power to move from the club with such a clause in place but financially how does that work? For example if the maximum bid for James was say 3m from all interested parties would we have to sell at that price?

It's the same as any release clause.

If the team is relegated, the player can leave for a set figure. We're relegated, so the player can leave for that figure. And of course, no club is gonna pay more than that.

Obvs this only applies a player has one in their contract - and I would think the figure would probably be quite low if it was.
12:59, Fri 24 May
El Mayor
bruggeaway

It's the same as any release clause.

If the team is relegated, the player can leave for a set figure. We're relegated, so the player can leave for that figure. And of course, no club is gonna pay more than that.

Obvs this only applies a player has one in their contract - and I would think the figure would probably be quite low if it was.
I've always wondered how buying clubs find out that players have these clauses. I guess they are leaked by agents. I am under no illusions that many of the current squad will leave regardless of whether we want them or not.
13:00, Fri 24 May
Ah set figure then okay mate ta 👍 they were either very confident we would stay in the league then in January or the set figure(if he has the clause) is set at around the January asking price.
13:02, Fri 24 May
I could see a couple of players having one - Paik for example signed when things were already looking a bit dodgy so he may have insisted on that to protect himself. Maybe Miyoshi and Buchannan although I think they'd be less likely. Bielik could have one as he seems to have issues with playing in League 1 even though he keeps getting relegated to it.

All relegation clauses are different though. It's not necessarily "if we get relegated, you can leave for cheap." There will be a set amount and we have to accept any offer above that.