18:19, Wed 27 Dec
turley
NouCamp
Give Rooney a couple or 3 of his own players in Jan

Hope we dont get embroiled in a relegation battle

Have a very serious conversation in April with Wagner about possible alternative managers who are better than Wayne Rooney

I understand what you’re saying, but do coaches get to sign who they want? Isn’t it the Technical Director who decides these things?

I’m surprised that Craig G has evaded criticism throughout this whole debacle.

Gardner was being heralded as a football genius when we sat 6th after WBA
18:27, Wed 27 Dec
👍
18:35, Wed 27 Dec
B) give him some new blood.

We have a squad of players that have proved, under two managers, that they’re not good enough to even do the basics consistently for 90 minutes and possibly one or two that just don’t want to. Binning Rooney and bringing in someone to “get us organised” is a knee jerk reaction to a situation that is about to change in the transfer window.

Gardner’s recruitment is key but Rooney knows what he needs and some won’t be available until the summer.

My list would be a keeper who’s comfortable playing out from the back, a proper captain/leader alongside Sanderson, an experienced midfield general and a striker. Someone who can deliver at set pieces would be a bonus.

If there’s an upturn in results after Jan (not necessarily immediate but at least noticeable), keep Rooney and give him funds in the summer. If results are still poor come March bring in a new management/coaching team that fit the new ethos, having spent the time between now and March identifying the right person for the job in case Rooney can’t turn things around.
18:53, Wed 27 Dec
QBBC2

We have a squad of players that have proved, under two managers, that they’re not good enough to even do the basics consistently for 90 minutes and possibly one or two that just don’t want to. Binning Rooney and bringing in someone to “get us organised” is a knee jerk reaction to a situation that is about to change in the transfer window.

Gardner’s recruitment is key but Rooney knows what he needs and some won’t be available until the summer.

My list would be a keeper who’s comfortable playing out from the back, a proper captain/leader alongside Sanderson, an experienced midfield general and a striker. Someone who can deliver at set pieces would be a bonus.

If there’s an upturn in results after Jan (not necessarily immediate but at least noticeable), keep Rooney and give him funds in the summer. If results are still poor come March bring in a new management/coaching team that fit the new ethos, having spent the time between now and March identifying the right person for the job in case Rooney can’t turn things around.
Agree with this.
19:07, Wed 27 Dec
Thing is, if we follow the narrative that our players are sh*t and Rooney needs his own team, what is he realistically going to do with 2 or 3 of his own players and the rest of the supposedly sh*t players that he's struggled to coach thus far?

I'd say we're 3-4 transfer windows off a full revamp. If Rooney needs a clear out then we are not the club for him, so I'm in the a) camp.
19:09, Wed 27 Dec
I agree with a lot of that. My worry though is if we don’t get those 4 players you mentioned. We definitely need them, but have we got the money to do it, considering ffp and all that. Experienced centre half/leader, midfield general and decent striker wont come cheap, and remember we’ve only got 1 loan slot left atm.

If we don’t get those players, we’re stuck with what we’ve got, and whether the players are good enough or not, it’s up to Rooney to get the best out of them which I don’t think he’s doing currently.
19:11, Wed 27 Dec
Miguelagenn
I assume they don't have to pay them off, just put them on gardening leave until the end of the season.

What would be the point in that?

If you are paying players you may as well have them around the squad unless they are a nightmare off the pitch, and my understanding is that we don't have any particularly bad eggs at the club.
19:12, Wed 27 Dec
Gardner signed a lot of the players in our team.

Do you trust him to bring in what Rooney needs?
19:14, Wed 27 Dec
Reedy1968
A run of home games and one against us - i hate loftus road with its poxy little pitch

Forever astounds me that Loftus Rd passes health and safety checks, especially in the top tier of the away end.

If there's ever a fire that breaks out in that top tier whoever is in there at the time is done for.
19:16, Wed 27 Dec
Thing is, if we follow the narrative that our players are sh*t and Rooney needs his own team, what is he realistically going to do with 2 or 3 of his own players and the rest of the supposedly sh*t players that he's struggled to coach thus far?

I'd say we're 3-4 transfer windows off a full revamp. If Rooney needs a clear out then we are not the club for him, so I'm in the a) camp.

Any manager who is intent on playing front foot, attacking football - which is the owners remit - will need a clear out so we’d be back to square one you sausage 🤣
19:19, Wed 27 Dec
Gardner signed a lot of the players in our team.

Do you trust him to bring in what Rooney needs?

I don’t know, we’ll have to wait and see. Our new data driven recruitment strategy will be put to the test.
19:29, Wed 27 Dec
QBBC2

If results are still poor we would be down by march. We can't wait that long. I'm pretty sure since he took over we are bottom of the league for total points.
19:54, Wed 27 Dec
We are bottom following Rotherham’s win v boro yesterday
19:56, Wed 27 Dec
For me, we have to stick with Rooney now. He will get it right. We're all sore from Stoke but we've had some glimmers. The defensive issues will be sorted, I'm sure of it.
20:17, Wed 27 Dec
If it’s simply a case of Rooney being an astute football tactician being let down by players who don’t know how to enact his strategies, then thanks to FFP and a limited January market, we can’t do much about that until the summer. Trouble is, we might be relegated by then.

So, at some point, the board is going to act to protect their investment. That would mean saying goodbye to Rooney and bringing in an interim manager while they find their ‘no fear attacking football’ candidate.

So you need a temporary manager who is available, who doesn’t want the job long term but who will come in and stop the rot. Someone who is liked at the club, by the fans, players and the existing coaching staff, and who has won cups, and played and managed at the very highest level. That man is Steve Bruce.
Cut your losses, protect your investment and keep the club in the league. Bruce is a safe option.