19:19, Sat 24 Feb
Partisan Blues Fan
ClarkOut
Largely disagree with all of this. Commercial success isn't a marker for how good a cities music scene is. Liverpool has had some great bands that don't get the recognition they deserve: The La's (other than There She Goes), Shack, Teardrop Explodes, Wah, Echo and the Bunnymen, etc, etc.
You missed out the best 1 A Flock of Seagulls!!

The Christians
20:02, Sat 24 Feb
Every Liverpool band mentioned are in the link I posted whereas decent many are hardly household names in the Uk yet alone internationally.

Whereby to an extent commercial success is not the be all and end all that and longevity are the best barometer we have. The rest is subjective and personal taste.

I stand by that this area has produced far more well known Artists with bigger catalogs and more popularity.

Not seen Dexys or Joan Armatrading mentioned in this thread (May have missed] but both would easily make that Liverpool list we really have punched our weight.

Getting on a bit now so can’t argue whether the Liverpool scene is better than Brum nowadays wouldn’t surprise me if it was. From the late 60s to mid eighties when I was out and about regularly I would say we had much more going on in our city with more venues and more diversity.
20:28, Sat 24 Feb
Mister Mutley
Every Liverpool band mentioned are in the link I posted whereas decent many are hardly household names in the Uk yet alone internationally.

Whereby to an extent commercial success is not the be all and end all that and longevity are the best barometer we have. The rest is subjective and personal taste.

I stand by that this area has produced far more well known Artists with bigger catalogs and more popularity.

Not seen Dexys or Joan Armatrading mentioned in this thread (May have missed] but both would easily make that Liverpool list we really have punched our weight.

Getting on a bit now so can’t argue whether the Liverpool scene is better than Brum nowadays wouldn’t surprise me if it was. From the late 60s to mid eighties when I was out and about regularly I would say we had much more going on in our city with more venues and more diversity.

I mentioned Dexys.
21:08, Sat 24 Feb
Charcy
He was responding to a list of Scouse bands.

Poster said “ thought they were scousers “
And I duly told him they were Scouse
21:44, Sat 24 Feb
I thought this was all based on sales as opposed to who was better ?

Anyway .. i suppose you have to put Toyah in here
"
"In 1981 she alone, sold in the UK more units than the whole of the Warner Bros. put together.
21:55, Sat 24 Feb
Yeah I was more responding to him than you
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
09:49, Sun 25 Feb
Rags
I thought this was all based on sales as opposed to who was better ?

Anyway .. i suppose you have to put Toyah in here
"
"In 1981 she alone, sold in the UK more units than the whole of the Warner Bros. put together.

yh thats a mystery
23:13, Sat 2 Mar
Time to give this lot some love

[louderthanwar.com]
08:02, Sun 3 Mar
Now you’re taking the piss. UB40 I have a lot of time for but to suggest they made some of those classic Jamaican songs better is an insult to the original artists.

Cherry o Baby, is a master piece in Jamaica how dear you. Kingston Town, is almost identical to the original.

Please stop it.
08:07, Sun 3 Mar
Just had a quick look to remind myself of what songs they covered on that album.

Many rivers to cross was first done by the legend Jimmy Cliff, you must be the only person alive that would make that claim.
08:11, Sun 3 Mar
20:44, Sun 3 Mar
On holiday at moment,talking to some old boy,in the bar,this thread in my mind,asked him what big band’s come out of Nottingham.I said I could only think ov one,paper lace,he said yes😃
20:48, Sun 3 Mar
And I thought I was taking the pizz 😃
21:06, Sun 3 Mar
Tom TheProject Brady
Possibly the worst ever take on this website...

...Manchester had Britpop for a while?

Well done on topping the worst ever take in exactly the same post as calling it out
AnE - conspiracy theorist, ardent viler-hater, nutjob cyclist, Cubie-bater, go-to iconoclast
10:31, Mon 4 Mar
Rags
Rags

Ive not heard this before but i do think it would make a great terrace song, welcome to the Mowbery house

Is that Cofton down by Dawlish ? ... if so this sort of proves my point about it being massive massive massive in Brum and unknown elsewhere - genuine question that.
Cofton Hackett in Brum. ive led a shelterd life.

Apologies - but happy to introduce it to you.

At places like Snobs and Faces in the 80s they'd play it 3 or 4 or 5 times a night - usually followed by Stephen Tin Tin Duffy's Kiss Me (1982 version - not the Art of Noise remix from 1985) (He was lead vocalist with Duran Duran before Fat Boy Le Bon appeared on the scene)

That's bringing back a load of great memories.