09:18, Tue 15 Sep
Bluesince62
It's true that we have more flexibility, not sure how much more the owners are wanting to pump in?
Hogan is proven at this level, I'm all for us taking a gamble on an unknown forward as well, but even if you are aiming higher, it doesn't hurt to have a natural and experienced goal getter in the side.
Course with our lot you just don't know what they are going to do next.

Agreed I reckon the majority of Championship team managers would like Hogan , for a relatively small fee, in their squad.
Every woman every man
Loves Karankaman, we're Blues
Stand up... stand up.... stand up
Everybody make a noise
We're the Brummie boys
Stand up, stand up .....
09:18, Tue 15 Sep
Hogan will be on high wages and will be looking for at least 3/4 year contract. He will be very hard to move on.
09:21, Tue 15 Sep
It’s not the job of people on a message board to say who is better value out there in the big wide world of football

But every year, teams sign players from Europe and lower leagues that come in, score goals, and eventually get sold for large sums. So they are out there, and we should pick one up.
09:26, Tue 15 Sep
How everyone keeps saying this is beyond me. We are in no position to lure any strikers of better quality.

This just seems so short sighted and defeatist. Let’s not beat ourselves up.

We’re a club from a major city, playing in one of the best leagues in Europe, looking to get to the Premier League, willing to pay someone a Million quid a year, with a former Champions League winner as manager.

The notion that all we can get is a bloke approaching 30 with an injury record, on a free transfer, is distinctly lacking in ambition.

Let’s see what they do
09:30, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod
How everyone keeps saying this is beyond me. We are in no position to lure any strikers of better quality.

We’re a club from a major city, playing in one of the best leagues in Europe, looking to get to the Premier League, willing to pay someone a Million quid a year, with a former Champions League winner as manager.

The notion that all we can get is a bloke approaching 30 with an injury record, on a free transfer, is distinctly lacking in ambition.

Let’s see what they do

We've also consistently been one of the worst teams in that league for too long. We're not going to automatically be a pull just cause we have a new manager.

Get a season of stability under our belt and that may change, of course. Things aren't going to change overnight.
09:30, Tue 15 Sep
A foreign signing to come in on the cheap and hit the ground running isn't that regular in the championship at all. Look at the top 10 championship goalscorers last season, only 3 of them were not English (Benrahma, Mbeumo and Mitrovic). Only Mbeumo was a new signing and he cost £5.8m.

Hogan is proven at this level, was banging them in for us pre-lockdown under Pep so in my opinion, he would be a very exciting signing under a now far superior manager.
09:37, Tue 15 Sep
Didn't stop Sunjic, Etheridge or Karanka, again, let's not beat ourselves up.
09:39, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod

I don't entirely disagree with you, in fairness. I just don't think we have as much pull as people think we do.
09:40, Tue 15 Sep
Brad1875
A foreign signing to come in on the cheap and hit the ground running isn't that regular in the championship at all. Look at the top 10 championship goalscorers last season, only 3 of them were not English (Benrahma, Mbeumo and Mitrovic). Only Mbeumo was a new signing and he cost £5.8m.

I've just looked at the last 2 seasons of top scorers, it is littered with strikers from the lower leagues, Europe or young strikers from the fringes of Premier league clubs. Plenty of strikers out there then
09:41, Tue 15 Sep
Approaching 30?

He turned 28 less than six months ago!
GBR 2020: Sepia tinted visions of a past that never really was, informing an idea of the future that was never really possible.
09:45, Tue 15 Sep
Le Mod

Let’s see what they do

We've just signed;

Etheridge 30.
Clayton 31.
Friend 32.

I don't think Scott Hogan at 28 years is going to be considered too old.

I doubt he's "all we can get" too. He'll probably be followed by a much younger, pacey striker. We need options. We currently only have an injured Juke leading the line. Hogan won't be the only striker we sign.
09:46, Tue 15 Sep
GhoulishZulu
Le Mod

I don't entirely disagree with you, in fairness. I just don't think we have as much pull as people think we do.

Alternatively I think we have more pull than most of our fans give us credit for, we're the masters of going on about how shit and unappealing we are.

We pay very well, we're from a big city, we have excellent facilities, we are aiming to go into the Premier League, plenty would give their left bollock to get a long term deal and at worse use us as a stepping stone.
09:48, Tue 15 Sep
If there is a loan fee, or we pay all his wages then I'm out.

Paying 2/3rds of his wages, maybe even incentives to take it up to all of his wage then I'd give it a go with a young loan striker to also come in and bridge the gap to seeing what George/Bailey/next start to look like.

He isn't getting in the vile team. The only way he wouldn't come is if someone else in the division offered a better deal.
09:48, Tue 15 Sep
LH_4
Le Mod

Let’s see what they do

We've just signed;

Etheridge 30.
Clayton 31.
Friend 32.

I don't think Scott Hogan at 28 years is going to be considered too old.

I doubt he's "all we can get" too. He'll probably be followed by a much younger, pacey striker. We need options. We currently only have an injured Juke leading the line. Hogan won't be the only striker we sign.

This argument is about him being our main striker signing, I've already said he'd be fine as an additional bonus option.

Etheridge is a keeper so isn't old
Clayton and Friend have added much needed short to medium term experience, we've saved our funds for a marquee striker, so we can go for a younger one with sell on potential and room to improve.
DG
09:53, Tue 15 Sep
Where's this rumour come from anyway? Is it reliable?

I'm fairly happy with Hogan signing tbh.. Don't think you can really judge him post lock down. Even pre lock down he wasn't really getting that many chances - Probably two a game max.. But took them.

I remember the Fulham game where he played up top by himself and actually thought he looked really good with the runs he was making.

Would be good to see a younger all rounder come in as well and I'll think we'll be well stocked upfront considering Leko can always play there as well. There would be a good mix with Juke, Hogan, Leko and A. N. Other.