12:35, Thu 14 Jan
David Xavis
Can somebody inform me what they class as an underlying health condition?

There is a calculator telling how many people are in front of you in the queue for the vaccine and the likely dates that you will be called for vaccination.

If you go on this site and click the right boxes there are also two lists showing (for vaccine priority purposes):

Conditions that Covid makes you extremely vulnerable and

Underlying Health Conditions.

[www.omnicalculator.com]
23/01/20 Mad: I'll stop moaning now.
13:23, Thu 14 Jan
Without wishing to offend anyone, why are so many of you afraid of dying when clearly we are not living at the moment. You could argue that we have lost a year of our lives already and in my opinion we have a long, long way to go. I asked a genuine question, when can we take our masks off and stop social distancing, we are told that the vaccine is not a cure and yet we are also led to believe that it is our only hope.
Everything around us is all doom and gloom, we need to remember how to live again.
13:28, Thu 14 Jan
I'm not worried about dying, I'm worried about killing other people who might not want to die yet.

Really baffles me how people can be so selfish and self centred to think otherwise.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
13:31, Thu 14 Jan
Sweet. I should be vaccinated by 19th December. Just in time for Christmas.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
13:37, Thu 14 Jan
I changed the weekly total to 2m which is the actual target, April to June on that basis 👍
“Oh Nikola Zigic”
13:37, Thu 14 Jan
Seconded. The reason why this has dragged on for so long is due to a combination of clear leadership and decision making from the government and a large number of people who think the rules don't apply to them. It does tickle me how many anti-maskers and covid deniers keep moaning about lockdown but can't work out that a month of everyone sticking to the rules would see the R rate drop off. My brother in won't wear his muzzle and loves going into to shops and yelling "I'm exempt" and carrying on shopping like normal, with his wife and two kids. He's got no reason to be exempt.

I've told him he's a fanny.
Luckily, the amount of heroin I use is harmless. I inject about once a month on a purely recreational basis. Fine. But what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than me? Builders or blacks for example. If you're one of those, my advice to you is leave well alone. Good luck.
13:43, Thu 14 Jan
I presume you are still able to work, are being furloughed or are living very comfortably.
I hear what you are saying but I don't think you understand the financial side of things.
13:44, Thu 14 Jan
Novakdjokovic
Without wishing to offend anyone, why are so many of you afraid of dying when clearly we are not living at the moment. You could argue that we have lost a year of our lives already and in my opinion we have a long, long way to go. I asked a genuine question, when can we take our masks off and stop social distancing, we are told that the vaccine is not a cure and yet we are also led to believe that it is our only hope.
Everything around us is all doom and gloom, we need to remember how to live again.

I’m not that afraid of getting ill. I’m quite afraid of passing the illness onto someone else who is more in danger of dying though.

I guess it’s the difference between a bit of self sacrifice for the common good and being all about self gratification 🤷‍♂️
13:46, Thu 14 Jan
Legal_Bluenose
Seconded. The reason why this has dragged on for so long is due to a combination of clear leadership and decision making from the government and a large number of people who think the rules don't apply to them. It does tickle me how many anti-maskers and covid deniers keep moaning about lockdown but can't work out that a month of everyone sticking to the rules would see the R rate drop off. My brother in won't wear his muzzle and loves going into to shops and yelling "I'm exempt" and carrying on shopping like normal, with his wife and two kids. He's got no reason to be exempt.

I've told him he's a fanny.

I'd disown him
Like an English rain. So light yet endless from a leaden sky. Neil Peart RIP.

And when the music stops
There's only the sound of the rain.
14:01, Thu 14 Jan
Novakdjokovic
I’m very much living.
Jude Bellingham - "Once a blue, always a blue" “This is my Club, I love the Club to bits. I’d die for this Club”
mad
14:37, Thu 14 Jan
Nikola Zigic
I saw an article recently that suggested a rough number of 22m people would be forced to shield if we went along with the 'shield the vulnerable' proposal.

Added to this 22m would be the sheer number of people who'd also need to isolate as they'd need to support the people shielding. You could very quickly have half the population locked away, meaning industry would grind to a halt. It's completely impractical.

Way back in March last year Patrick Vallance about ten days before the actual lockdown was called I think said in one of those early briefings they were going to soon ask - all over 70's to shield - as indeed all over 70's were (possibly still are?) classed as vulnerable. It was later clarified that a smaller group of "extremely vulnerable" would be asked to shield instead numbering just shy of 3 million.

As it transpired, in terms of community incidence and community deaths resulting from the first wave of the pandemic, more people in the over 70's that were not classed as "extremely vulnerable" ended up dying than those that were classed as extremely vulnerable.

Now you can read that in several ways. Either shielding DID work to protect many in that "extremely vulnerable" category or else the category was too restricted and left people in the simply "vulnerable" group such as the other over 70's more exposed.

The categories haven't altered so far as I'm aware however it is important to note we are now 10 months further down the line and some extra people will have joined the list since last March due to age/time

To avoid this being a seasonal thing and shielding and social distancing becoming a way of life potentially every winter we have to try to eradicate the virus from these shores or at least get it down so low that each flare up can be tracked properly - as was achieved within just a few weeks in NZ and Australia - flare ups occur but are squashed quickly
15:19, Thu 14 Jan
mad
I read a quote earlier from the head of immunisation - Something along the lines of if the vaccine does only cut transmission by 50%(ish) then we're more than likely in a situation similar to the flu where we have to let it circulate and accept the vulnerable are going to be at risk every year and get vaccinated.
mad
16:02, Thu 14 Jan
They are looking for an easy way out. Not sure it's wise at this stage to second guess what the virus might or might not do in the medium term but yes in 5 to 10 years that may become the case. Flu has nothing like the effect on mortality that Covid has.

Something for those who dismiss Covid as an inconvenience to their lives to consider is while the average age of death in the UK with covid is 82, which is higher than the average age of death from all causes, it is also the case that IF you actually get to 82 actuarial tables show you should expect to live for another 9 years. And of course an average age is just that, for every 95 year old dying with covid there is someone in their late 60's.

Flu does not affect mortality to anywhere near this extent even in a bad flu year
08:33, Mon 18 Jan
Just got a text from work, they’ve booked me in for the jab this evening.

I’ll feel like effing superman
08:55, Mon 18 Jan
You're partly right.

The NHS number is required rather than the NI number. That said the link is only for use by people that have received a letter inviting them for a jab.

[www.nhs.uk]

Just booked family in who are over 75...