19:44, Fri 3 Nov
I'll get round to listening to it at some point, same as the documentary. I can't do it to myself just now. The Beatles music is so ingrained in me, it matters so much that I couldn't bear to watch/liste. And be disappointed. Even worse than that I hate it when it makes people who didn't give a toss before all of a sudden become massive fans of something.

It's why it took me years to watch Peaky Blinders, I hate the thought of something I love disappointing me, I have enough of that with my bloody kids!
Tha Project OBE
Was already fed up of this shite yesterday

I can't lose two heroes in the same night.
I like the Beatles Tarquers, don’t worry about that, I just can’t be doing with all the hyperbole around this new record.

I had to make a rare trip to the orifice yesterday, and I now live a long way away, so had the radio on early and then late afternoon/early evening, stabbing at the radio, changing channels, coz they all irritate me. Even Alan Brazil was banging on about it. And the gibberish being spouted by the 5live morons was unforgivable.

And this record is pointless, adds absolutely nothing to the oeuvre.

The new Rolling Stones record is a pile of overrated shite too.

The new Martin Stephenson, on the other hand, redoing the old hits, is pure pleasure.
20:09, Fri 3 Nov
It's a "nice" song in a nostalgic sense, nothing new.

Harrison was on to something with his verdict of "effing rubbish".

The Get Back documentary was an exceptional bit of work in their post-split archive.

At least Now and Then reaffirms that McCartney was the superior songwriter.
Birmingham City: coming up with new ways to ruin your weekend since 1875
Tam
20:17, Fri 3 Nov
Louie Donowa

I've felt that way since about 1970, to be honest.
Make Blues Great Again
20:29, Fri 3 Nov
Tam
Tam
Louie Donowa

I was born after they split up and my generation has a habit of trying to deify Lennon.

The song "imagine" is a horror show (in my opinion).

McCartney took the difficult option of trying to create Beatles II with Wings.

Watching him strumming the bass repeatedly until plucking the song Get Back out of thin air in 5 mins on the documentary was mind blowing.

All whilst George and Ringo yawned and scratched their beards like they'd seen it a thousand times before..
Tam
20:35, Fri 3 Nov
Louie Donowa
Tam
Louie Donowa

I was born after they split up and my generation has a habit of trying to deify Lennon.

Yeah, I think you're right. Possibly because Lennon had political attitude and Macca was a 'sweeter' writer - it was more fashionable to prefer Lennon. McCartney crafted some wonderful songs and pieces of music and, of course is a talented multi-instrumentalist.
Make Blues Great Again
Imagine is a horrible song. And hypocritical from a renowned collector of fur coats.

Not really fussed over who was better worse but I think Mcartney got a bum rap. While Lennon was getting pissed with Nilsson et al in New ayork Mcartney was getting involved in all sorts of off the wall avant garde shite.

Remarkable men though, both of em, remember how young they were creating all that and you may as well just kill yourself.
You only have to watch the let it be documentary to see not only the talent maca had but how he was trying to hold the band together and still pushing forward.
Lennon was off his tits, George was acting like a petulant child and Ringo was well just Ringo.

Like you said it was cool to like Lennon, and he probably did have the rawer rock n roll voice, but a lot of his stuff was shite.

As for the new song. Sounds pretty good but with all the modern recording technology it also sounds like paul and Ringo had an idea to make a new record and got Julian in to sing the vocals.
20:43, Fri 3 Nov
My opinion? You can't be disappointed by watching Peaky Blinders in the same way. Unless your were a Peaky Blinder back in the day ;)

Get Back is truly excellent. No Beatles fan would be disappointed by it. It's like watching a documentary filmed yesterday and is a (rather long) eye opener.

The new track is a good John Lennon song made into a very interesting Beatles song. If it was released back in the day it wouldn't rank highly. But it wasn't. As for Jeff Lynne. Was he involved? I do hear the production similarities to be fair. But haven't seen him in the documentary snippets I've seen.

I thought the video was very touching. As for new fans, can't gatekeep the band from under 70s forever 😂👍
Yep. And the May Pang / Yoko stuff is a bit rum, for the supposed love of his life...
20:56, Fri 3 Nov
Russell Leond
My opinion? You can't be disappointed by watching Peaky Blinders in the same way. Unless your were a Peaky Blinder back in the day ;)

Get Back is truly excellent. No Beatles fan would be disappointed by it. It's like watching a documentary filmed yesterday and is a (rather long) eye opener.

The new track is a good John Lennon song made into a very interesting Beatles song. If it was released back in the day it wouldn't rank highly. But it wasn't. As for Jeff Lynne. Was he involved? I do hear the production similarities to be fair. But haven't seen him in the documentary snippets I've seen.

I thought the video was very touching. As for new fans, can't gatekeep the band from under 70s forever 😂👍

Yeah I get what you're saying, the PB thing was more a reaction to people all of a sudden being interested in Brum having never given a toss before!

I'm 36 BTW, happy for young(er) fans, but I think I just push back against people jumping on the latest cool bandwagon when it's something I've loved for decades!
23:16, Fri 3 Nov
Out of interest what sort of music do you like?
23:45, Fri 3 Nov
Tam
Tam
Louie Donowa
Tam
Louie Donowa

Yeah, I think you're right. Possibly because Lennon had political attitude and Macca was a 'sweeter' writer - it was more fashionable to prefer Lennon. McCartney crafted some wonderful songs and pieces of music and, of course is a talented multi-instrumentalist.

It wasn’t always that simple. Lennon was perfectly capable of writing wonderful sweet songs and melodies -‘If I fell’, for me, being a perfect example- a really beautiful melody.

Also, while John was writing ‘Give Peace a Chance’ and ‘Imagine’ which, although pacifist, could hardly be offensive to many people and weren’t banned by the BBC and other media outlets. Paul was banned, releasing ‘Give Ireland back to the Irish’ at the peak of the troubles in the early 70s after Bloody Sunday. Had the social media and our current tabloids been present in the times of troubles, McCartney would have been absolutely destroyed.
It didn’t go down too well in big media at the time.

Another example though of Paul being quietly radical (and right), as opposed to greeting card sentimalist.