12:55, Sat 4 Nov
Jimbcfc
Think Weller was influenced by the Beatles.
"Start!" was to "Taxman" what "My Sweet Lord" was to "He's So Fine".
13:04, Sat 4 Nov
Jimbcfc

I'd never thought of that before but you are absolutely right!
18:21, Sat 4 Nov
Imagine is a horrible song. And hypocritical from a renowned collector of fur coats.

Not really fussed over who was better worse but I think Mcartney got a bum rap. While Lennon was getting pissed with Nilsson et al in New ayork Mcartney was getting involved in all sorts of off the wall avant garde shite.

Remarkable men though, both of em, remember how young they were creating all that and you may as well just kill yourself.

Imagine isn’t any more hypocritical than most people’s views tbf but it is a pretty horrible song to listen to. His wealth and how he uses is it doesn’t mean he can’t imagine a better world without war or want. I’m down with the sentiment but I don’t want to give up my collection of musical instruments I can’t play properly.

As for the “who’s better, who’s best” between Lennon and McCartney I’d say McCartney is the better musician and singer but Lennon is the better man and songwriter. Whilst Lennon was openly admitting that he was a deeply flawed individual and took steps to better himself as a human, McCartney was, behind both closed doors and his “I’m just a reasonable guy” public persona, a narcissist, a misogynist and a bully (it’s even reflected in his lyrics). And he wrote Maxwell’s Silver Hammer and the fkin Frog Chorus which are far worse crimes against music than Lennon’s airy fairy pap, mainly because he was the best musician/songwriter of his generation.
18:47, Sat 4 Nov
👍I’d say that’s a good analysis. Lennon stuff post Beatles really a lot better than Macca’s.
20:53, Sat 4 Nov
bluearmyfaction
Jimbcfc

Start,strangely enough is my least favourite Jam track.
22:19, Sat 4 Nov
Lennon could still sing when he recorded this.

McCartney, who clearly very recently recorded his effort to join in, can’t.

But I do agree that it’s an interesting story and arguably a piece of music history.
Formerly known as GuildfordBlue…
16:23, Mon 6 Nov
It is remarkable.

It gets better with each listen.

So poignant for it to be the very Beatles song.

Wonderful that the technology is now available to finish what the at the time 3 remaining Beatles worked on in 1994.

I feel it has been tastefully done.
Paul could have threw himself all over it to make it a 50/50 but is is still absolutely kept as a John song with lovely touches from all four.

The video is fantastically naff in parts but touching throughout.

Beautiful that it happened.
17:01, Mon 6 Nov
Nothing wrong with the Frog Chorus. McCartney was asked to write a song for a children's cartoon so came up with something that mixed charm and musical adventurism - full orchestra, full chorus, bit of operatic, waltz rhythm - which was way more advanced for a children's audience than, say, the Smurf Song for instance. Or even Yellow Submarine.
17:02, Mon 6 Nov
"Advanced" does not equate to "any good" though. It's music, not scientific theorem.
17:10, Mon 6 Nov
Shaun of Brum
It is remarkable.

It gets better with each listen.

So poignant for it to be the very Beatles song.

Wonderful that the technology is now available to finish what the at the time 3 remaining Beatles worked on in 1994.

I feel it has been tastefully done.
Paul could have threw himself all over it to make it a 50/50 but is is still absolutely kept as a John song with lovely touches from all four.

The video is fantastically naff in parts but touching throughout.

Beautiful that it happened.

Not a fan of the song at all, but the video, particularly the last few seconds was very touching.
17:21, Mon 6 Nov
number8
"Advanced" does not equate to "any good" though. It's music, not scientific theorem.
What I meant was that it's a way to introduce children to what music can do, it's not a nursery rhyme type thing.
17:52, Mon 6 Nov
Nothing wrong with the Frog Chorus. McCartney was asked to write a song for a children's cartoon so came up with something that mixed charm and musical adventurism - full orchestra, full chorus, bit of operatic, waltz rhythm - which was way more advanced for a children's audience than, say, the Smurf Song for instance. Or even Yellow Submarine.

McCartney wasn’t asked to write a song for a kids cartoon, he wrote and produced the film after buying the rights just after the Beatles split. The whole thing is his. The project was in the pipeline for about 10 years and that’s what he came up with.

More of his “granny shit” music as Lennon called such stuff. Obla-di Obla-da, When I’m 64, Rocky Raccoon, Your Mother Should Know, Honey Pie and more. Maybe he doesn’t have a filter? Maybe he thinks everything he’s done is great because he’s Sir Paul McCartney? I know he believes it’s a great honour for people to meet him, maybe that thinking also applies to his back catalogue too?
18:04, Mon 6 Nov
There wouldn't have been a functioning band without Paul. He deserves a bit more respect imo. One of the greatest composers and performers who's ever lived. Great voice too.

18:20, Mon 6 Nov
There wouldn't have been a functioning band without Paul. He deserves a bit more respect imo. One of the greatest composers and performers who's ever lived. Great voice too.

Lol. McCartney being McCartney was a major factor in the Beatles ceasing to function. Then, when Lennon told them privately he was quitting the band McCartney went to the press and told them it was he who was concentrating on his solo career and not working with the Beatles or writing with Lennon anymore. That’s typical narcissistic behaviour - always having to control the narrative.

I respect him as a musician, a songwriter (some songs, not all) and a singer and have said as much previously in this thread. I don’t respect him as a person. I still prefer him to David effing Bowie though!
18:22, Mon 6 Nov
Homer
bluearmyfaction
Jimbcfc

Start,strangely enough is my least favourite Jam track.

Weller was/is an absolute Beatles fanatic. They also uses the Taxman riff in Dreams of Children and To Be Someone, they covered And Your Bird Can Sing, he got Peter Blake to do the cover for Stanley Road partly because he did Sgt Pepper's (the first album he bought if I recall correctly), he covered Come Together solo. Plenty of Beatles influence in No-one in the World (which uses a bit of Michelle), Man in the Corner Shop, Liza Radley, I Need You, Carnation etc. as well. Each to their own, but it's a bit strange to like the Jam and not like the Beatles.