22:28, Mon 6 Nov
Not really - The Jam said a lot of different things in different ways to the Beatles. Being influenced by someone does not automatically mean your fans will like it too. Otherwise everyone would be a Buddy Holly fan (or anyone else who influenced the Beatles like Chuck Berry/Elvis/Everly Brothers/Bob Dylan etc).
22:33, Mon 6 Nov
number8
Not really - The Jam said a lot of different things to the Beatles. Being influenced by someone does not automatically mean your fans will like it too. Otherwise everyone would be a Bob Dylan fan.

Never would I say don’t not know anyone that’s isn’t not a fan of if not of Dylan then at least won’t not agree that they didn’t even like at least one of his tracks.
Tam
22:34, Mon 6 Nov
number8
Not really - The Jam said a lot of different things in different ways to the Beatles. Being influenced by someone does not automatically mean your fans will like it too. Otherwise everyone would be a Buddy Holly fan (or anyone else who influenced the Beatles like Chuck Berry/Elvis/Everly Brothers/Bob Dylan etc).

Funnily enough, I am. He was my first (and enduring) musical hero.
Make Blues Great Again
22:36, Mon 6 Nov
Tam
Wow, you're old 😉
22:36, Mon 6 Nov
Nope, too many double negatives there for me...
Tam
22:40, Mon 6 Nov
number8
Wow, you're old 😉

I'd say 'tell me about it', but I'd probably forget. 😁

He died a year before I was born, but my my mother was an avid fan, so I grew up playing 'The Buddy Holly Story" LP constantly as I was growing up, then got into more of his stuff. Tbf, almost all of my musical heroes are dead! The first chords that I learned on a guitar at the age of eleven was Peggy Sue, and I got home about half an hour ago and had a quick run through 'Peggy Sue Got Married' on an old Gibson J-45 acoustic,which was his songwriting guitar of choice.
Make Blues Great Again
09:33, Tue 7 Nov
Tam
Found it quite poignant how Radio stations all over the country were waiting to play it as soon as it was released ,just as it was with Beatles singles back in the 60's.
Wouldn't stack up as a great against a lot of their classics but a lovely full stop on their music . I like that
they have put their first ever single on the B side to bookend their releases.
Love,hate or a bit "meh" to their music it can't be denied what a massive influence they were on modern pop culture.For what it's worth I loved them
11:01, Tue 7 Nov
number8

Generally I agree, but the Jam were very specifically influenced by the Beatles and PW has said as much many times. In fact, there would be few acts - ELO and Oasis aside maybe - who you could say were more influenced by the Beatles. To me that's a bit different to the idea that pretty much any guitar band owes a lot to Buddy Holly (and Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James etc.). Granted, there's a lot else going on with the Jam - there's as much Dr Feelgood and Kinks as there is Beatles for a start. All I meant was really is my experience of your average Jam/Style Council/Weller fan would be that they'd also be into the Beatles (and Small Faces, Kinks etc. etc.) too.
11:31, Tue 7 Nov
Nope, too many double negatives there for me...

It's one of the most amazing lines I've ever read on here. It should be held up and cherished as a masterpiece.

Dunno wtf it says though.
20:04, Tue 7 Nov
Apologies to all those non- Beatles fans out there for bumping this up again, - you must be well annd truly fecked off with this thread, I expect, but I just thought I’d share this.

There’s been a couple of Versions of Now and Then covered in the style of the Beatles a la 1964 (Hard Days Night , kind of). Just a bit of fun really, someone covered it in a more up tempo style using AI to simulate the voices of the band members.

I quite liked it anyway. Preferred it to the melancholy official one. See the description under the video for a full explanation of how it was put together.

[m.youtube.com]
20:24, Tue 7 Nov
That’s excellent, thanks 👍
20:38, Tue 7 Nov
I liked that.
20:39, Tue 7 Nov
number8
"Advanced" does not equate to "any good" though. It's music, not scientific theorem.

To be fair I remember I really loved that as a kid. The video and everything. Definitely remember seeing it on TV and I would have been 2 when it came out.

So it worked for it's purpose, no?
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
20:46, Tue 7 Nov
The Devlin Disguise
Homer
bluearmyfaction
Jimbcfc
Think Weller was influenced by the Beatles.
"Start!" was to "Taxman" what "My Sweet Lord" was to "He's So Fine".

Start,strangely enough is my least favourite Jam track.

Weller was/is an absolute Beatles fanatic. They also uses the Taxman riff in Dreams of Children and To Be Someone, they covered And Your Bird Can Sing, he got Peter Blake to do the cover for Stanley Road partly because he did Sgt Pepper's (the first album he bought if I recall correctly), he covered Come Together solo. Plenty of Beatles influence in No-one in the World (which uses a bit of Michelle), Man in the Corner Shop, Liza Radley, I Need You, Carnation etc. as well. Each to their own, but it's a bit strange to like the Jam and not like the Beatles.

He did Come Together with the Smokin' Mojo Filters including McCartney first.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
22:33, Tue 7 Nov
Well it worked on you, congratulations.