20:16, Thu 28 Dec
gerry1875
there is nothing in that squad to even build on apart JJ and a 17 year old youth.

This is clearly not accurate.
20:18, Thu 28 Dec
gerry1875
Robert Hopkins
Not good enough for what ? Not good enough to stay up, get mid table obscurity, or promotion ? It is more than good enough for mid table obscurity which is a massive move forward from the last few years.
Not good enough for fans to expect we should be up in the top half, it has no leadership, it has not got a regular 15-20 goal a season striker, there is nothing in that squad to even build on apart JJ and a 17 year old youth.

Buchanan, Laird, Long, Sanderson, Bacuna, Bielik in addition to the two you mentioned are improvements on recent squads too.

This squad with a competent manager like our previous one would easily finish top half.
20:18, Thu 28 Dec
WR Blue
gerry1875
there is nothing in that squad to even build on apart JJ and a 17 year old youth.

This quite clearly not accurate.
Not many in our squad would get in many other teams first teams in the higher reaches of the division
20:22, Thu 28 Dec
Madeira Blue
The only thing the sun prints that i believe is the date, oh and maybe the page numbers.

It is not every one’s cup of tea, especially those who worship the Guardian….but it is fun and I read the Sun and Daily fail back to front with enjoyment for the whole flight to warmer climes today.
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
20:23, Thu 28 Dec
gerry1875
WR Blue
gerry1875

Not many in our squad would get in many other teams first teams in the higher reaches of the division

Even if that were correct, it's a completely different argument to your previous one. Put another way for clarity - even if it was correct that - 'Not many in our squad would get in many other teams first teams in the higher reaches of the division' - that doesn't mean that 'there is nothing in that squad to even build on apart JJ and a 17 year old youth'. If some of our players are of mid-table standard, then that core can be built upon with even better players.
20:24, Thu 28 Dec
Laird barring injury is one of the best rb's in the league. Buchanan is another who could walk into most teams without a problem too. I'm sure most would snap up bacuna given the chance too
20:25, Thu 28 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
BLUENOSE B
bcfste
Don't think he plays the brand of football we want

He did at swansea.
And at Forest in this league

Yea wasnt sure about forest what syle he played, but either way he got one in playoffs and other promoted which is streets ahead of what Rooney has ever done.
20:25, Thu 28 Dec
The scum
Wouldnt believe a word that disgusting rag prints
20:27, Thu 28 Dec
I don’t think we’d finish top half, but I’d argue the squad is good enough to finish around 14th, which isn’t brilliant but better than the last 7 years. With Rooney it looks like we’re back to finishing in our customary 17th-24th slot.
20:30, Thu 28 Dec
WomTagner
Laird barring injury is one of the best rb's in the league. Buchanan is another who could walk into most teams without a problem too. I'm sure most would snap up bacuna given the chance too

Dembele is a great attacking player, needs coaching on helping out a bit in defence. I think there's a useful player in Miyoshi and Anderson. Drameh might be on loan but could be signable afterwards and is also a useful player. Long and Sanderson have been useful in the right circumstances, as have Bielik and Sunjic.
20:32, Thu 28 Dec
Reedy1968
The scum
Wouldnt believe a word that disgusting rag prints

Name one of the rags that isn't? They're all state mouthpieces behind their cloak of political positioning.
20:33, Thu 28 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
BLUENOSE B
bcfste

He did at swansea.

Yea wasnt sure about forest what syle he played, but either way he got one in playoffs and other promoted which is streets ahead of what Rooney has ever done.

Adapts as circumstances demand.

[theanalyst.com]
20:34, Thu 28 Dec
WR Blue
gerry1875
WR Blue
gerry1875

Even if that were correct, it's a completely different argument to your previous one. Put another way for clarity - even if it was correct that - 'Not many in our squad would get in many other teams first teams in the higher reaches of the division' - that doesn't mean that 'there is nothing in that squad to even build on apart JJ and a 17 year old youth'. If some of our players are of mid-table standard, then that core can be built upon with even better players.
OK we have had a lot of injuries I accept Buchanan, Laird, Long all had lengthy spells on the sidelines which has not helped Rooney at all, but even with those 3 back we don't look good up front, we are shaky at the back even with Buchanan and Laird, the spine of the team needs a complete rebuild, Sanderson is very poor standard and certainly not captain material, Ruddy needs replacing, we need a ball playing midfielder and a decent striker, maybe then we will see what the others are about but until then we are no more than a low mid table team at most
20:39, Thu 28 Dec
Why knows, certainly not me if having Hall, Chang, Roberts, Anderson, and Laird available might have changed things
20:46, Thu 28 Dec
Tha Project OBE
Rab C Nesbitt
BLUENOSE B
bcfste

He did at swansea.

Adapts as circumstances demand.

[theanalyst.com]

Look I'd be happy with Cooper, don't get me wrong.

But if we want a certain brand of football and Cooper comes in and sticks 11 men behind the ball and counters, because our squad isn't good enough to be playing a high line with centre midfielders that are quite slow. Is that what they want?

Just being devils advocate