11:30, Mon 29 Jan
Shinniesta is a great shout.

He was a lovely skillful player, slower than erosion mind and would be in a Walking Football World XI.

Had a great run of 10-12 games once Rowett came in and then disappeared again.
H

Consistently correct.
KES
11:31, Mon 29 Jan
Both were around £2.5M weren't they? Still quite a lot and like you say the outlay of the wages on top were actually very high compared to how they performed. On top of that the praise especially Colin received means he deserves top prize.
11:35, Mon 29 Jan
Easy, the answer is Pederson.

Not saying he was rubbish or anything, however incredibly overaerated by our fans at points.
11:56, Mon 29 Jan
KES
KES
Fine doesnt mean they are some of best full backs in the league. They were never any where close. Utter shite for what we paid for them.

The thing is though players like that are very common in this league - when the team was doing well (I know that will be greeted with laughter but it was in a couple of phases) they looked pretty good, and the defence was solid. Colin would have thrived in a better footballing side. In fact he did.

I’ll go with Robinson though, it’s not too ie no one thought he didn’t merit a place in the side. Personally I actually hated him playing for us, for more reasons than he wasn’t very good.

On the whole we didn’t have many over rated players in this era because most of the players weren’t really rated. In fact if we had a ‘rated players in the Dong era’ that would be quite interesting.
12:08, Mon 29 Jan
Le Mod
Yeah not a bad shout

Guess it depends on how we define overrated

To me it's a player who people thought played well, but was actually mostly naff

The likes of Olly Lee, Blackett and co were never ever rated any point, everyone watched them and thought they were shit

Yeah I think this threads getting a little confused with “expected better” rather than over rated.
12:11, Mon 29 Jan
NouCamp
Maxime Colin

This would be my vote.

6.4 each game. Consistent.

Consistently average.

We have since replaced him with 2 much better right backs at a fraction of his wage.
12:18, Mon 29 Jan
Probably wont be a popular choice, but Jonathon Grounds.
Some people I used to sit with raved about him.
Managed about 5 odd seasons for us, without ever looking good or bad.
He was just always here, like an old sofa in the spare room.
Functional but 'meh'.
12:22, Mon 29 Jan
Gleeson
12:24, Mon 29 Jan
I don't recall anyone rating Grounds. In fact, he was a player that got a lot of grief from fans despite playing left back when we had no other option, having joined from a lower league. I thought he remained professional, and tried his best. He wasn't very good though.

It has to be Robinson. Some fans absolutely do rate him. I fecking hate the bloke.

I stand by my opinion that Colin was a good player, and good pro for us. Played various roles, played a lot of games, and I think he would have looked a lot better in a better team. It's not his fault Dong paid him a wedge.
12:24, Mon 29 Jan
People keep mentioning players who very few people rated. Here’s another one.
12:32, Mon 29 Jan
There's too many to mention

There's Lyle Taylor- Penalty merchant can only score from penalties.

There's Harlee Dean paid fairly big money for him and on a big salary most the time he couldn't be arsed.

Dan Crowley perhaps?
David Stockdale

In Carsons days its harder to say, most of the players were awful. Right at the start we had Hleb who was always Injured, Matt Derbyshire who was awful and David Bentley who was all below par and I'd guess on decent salaries
12:43, Mon 29 Jan
Spike
Le Mod
To me it's a player who people thought played well, but was actually mostly naff

Surely Paul Robinson fits that measure perfectly?

Never has there been so much talk of "pashun" as a cover for shit performances.

This is the answer. What he did wouldn't work in any other type of job either. These IT folk at Fujitsu won't be defended by anyone, even if they kiss their work badges and flex their biceps in front of the entrance to their head office.
12:46, Mon 29 Jan
I know it won't go down well with some on here but for me it has to be Zigic.

Due to the fee and his background as an international striker the expectations were high but aside from a couple of goals in important games he generally failed to live up to those expectations.
12:49, Mon 29 Jan
Plenty in here not understanding the assignment, Zigic is a good pick.

For a controversial one that’s always been a bug bear of mine I’ll go with Barry Ferguson. He was obviously a good player but the way fans look back on him is way OTT imo.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
12:53, Mon 29 Jan
Super Hans
Plenty in here not understanding the assignment, Zigic is a good pick.

For a controversial one that’s always been a bug bear of mine I’ll go with Barry Ferguson. He was obviously a good player but the way fans look back on him is way OTT imo.

Sorry mate please use the appropriate Sir Barry Ferguson.
In my opinion that's possibly one of the most ridiculous assessments on this board ever.
His completed pass rate for us was incredible.
Won a major trophy and in the final carried on playing in spite of a broken rib.
You're gonna get slayed ! He was as good as I've seen.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )