08:40, Mon 18 Mar
As Birmingham City enter the March break it feels almost a miracle that they remain outside of the relegation zone. A horror show of an error from Emanuel Aiwu gave away the only goal of the game in a 1-0 defeat to Watford on Saturday, and Blues only remain outside the bottom three due to Huddersfie

[almajir.net]
08:48, Mon 18 Mar
Wise words as always.

I'm not sure another member of the coaching staff is the answer.

A temporary 'Match Day Manager' seems to me to be the requirement.
08:54, Mon 18 Mar
One thing that does make a temporary managerial option seem slightly more palatable to me is that Mowbray (to the best of my knowledge) only brought one member of coaching staff with him (Venus). It makes me think that a change wouldn’t be quite so problematic particularly as Cole will be off with U21s (I think) for a good part of the next two weeks anyway. I agree in that it’s largely irrelevant to speculate though should Mowbray be back for QPR.
Buy my novel (if you want to of course), The Loneliness That Others Call Freedom by Steven Vaughan. Available in both Kindle and paperback format.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

@stevanderman
09:01, Mon 18 Mar
Good read as always Mayor, thank you.

I disagree regarding Carsley as I don't see what improvement he brings to match-days. He has as much Championship managerial experience as Venus, i.e. not much.

I'm just not sure how he creates a spark or change to grind out results.

Please ugnore my previous with the bloke please when I say this, it's an attempt to be objective, but I can't see past Rowett as a sensible caretaker should it be required.

Knows the club, has an excellent track record at avoiding relegation and I don't think he has any expectation of getting the job full time. He knows they have grander plans than that.

If it's anyone, I can't see a better candidate than him. Hopefully it's not needed.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
09:03, Mon 18 Mar
Using my maths i always thought Leicester was likely earliest return match.

Whilst i totally agree that Tony’s health situation is his own it wouldn’t be unreasonable later this week to expect an update from the club as to whether his return is imminent i.e back for Easter double header or not. If it is later we are heading for last 5 games 5-6 points adrift from safety and into minor miracle territory.

It would certainly remove much speculation if we thought he would be back in some capacity by the QPR match

I also agree that Rowett would be my only thought regarding a temporary manager. Carsley has no previous championship experience either.
09:09, Mon 18 Mar
I want Mowbray back as much as anyone but I think it would be a dangerous assumption to think we’re suddenly going to start winning matches when he returns. Hopefully we’ll see an upturn but I can’t see it being as simple as flicking a switch and all is ok.
09:09, Mon 18 Mar
Nikola Zigic

I disagree regarding Carsley as I don't see what improvement he brings to match-days. He has as much Championship managerial experience as Venus, i.e. not much.

Please ugnore my previous with the bloke please when I say this, it's an attempt to be objective, but I can't see past Rowett as a sensible caretaker should it be required.

Knows the club, has an excellent track record at avoiding relegation and I don't think he has any expectation of getting the job full time. He knows they have grander plans than that.

If it's anyone, I can't see a better candidate than him. Hopefully it's not needed.

Forgive my previous with the bloke, but just no to Rowett.

His playing style is different to what we're trying to develop and it would create too much confusion and mixed messages.
09:11, Mon 18 Mar
GBBlue
Using my maths i always thought Leicester was likely earliest return match.

Whilst i totally agree that Tony’s health situation is his own it wouldn’t be unreasonable later this week to expect an update from the club as to whether his return is imminent i.e back for Easter double header or not. If it is later we are heading for last 5 games 5-6 points adrift from safety and into minor miracle territory.

It would certainly remove much speculation if we thought he would be back in some capacity by the QPR match

I also agree that Rowett would be my only thought regarding a temporary manager. Carsley has no previous championship experience either.

I'm sorry, but it could be unreasonable.

Health issues don't follow linear paths. We don't know if he's had a normal recovery or if there have been complications. I don't think it's fair to put timelines on this sort of situation because I genuinely think it's a how long is a piece of string type deal.

Furthermore, realistically as much as people might argue against it it's none of our business. He'll be back when he's back.
09:13, Mon 18 Mar
If we were comfortably mid table we wouldn’t be asking for updates like that, being near the bottom shouldn’t change it

They’ll communicate when they are able to and it’s worthwhile.
09:16, Mon 18 Mar
Nikola Zigic

One other thing.

When you say a caretaker and championship experience, the implication is you want an interim boss there.

I don't think that's the point. I think that all is needed is a leader, a figurehead who can put an arm around these poor fragile players and get them to play with a bit more belief.
09:17, Mon 18 Mar
Certainly agree with your points re the open house. Like you say, it should be one of reassurance rather than ambition. A simple, 'We're sticking around whatever and we have plans for both staying up and should the worst happen'.
09:18, Mon 18 Mar
I also disagree about Carsley. Pointless.

I disagree too about now not being the right time to discuss ambitious plans - people need to keep being reminded that there is a much bigger picture and the more things people have to look forward to the better. If we have to take a step back to take a huge leap forwards, so be it. It's not ideal but still worthwhile in the long term.

Obviously I ain't having Rowett either. Mayor is right in that - if we did go down that road, and it would be a big if, it would have to be someone with the continuous football philosophy. A return to shithousery would be unwelcome, even in the short term.
09:19, Mon 18 Mar
Word
09:19, Mon 18 Mar
Certainly agree with your points re the open house. Like you say, it should be one of reassurance rather than ambition. A simple, 'We're sticking around whatever and we have plans for both staying up and should the worst happen'.

Thats the chance to say it and I'd expect they will
09:20, Mon 18 Mar
I admire your optimism. But the evidence on the pitch makes me wonder where the next win is coming from. QPR will be very tough with our away form, QPR's improved form and Paik and Bacuna likely unavailable. Maybe a slice of luck during a match will go our way like a penalty or a sending off. I hope I am wrong and you are right. I really do.