22:36, Thu 28 Dec
newblue
There’s pompous. And there’s WR pompous.

There’s a lot of shitty, whiney, petty comments on this thread.

There's trouble making bollocks as well !
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
22:38, Thu 28 Dec
OMG - this thread. We‘ve got some right gossipy old women supporters, haven‘t we?
22:39, Thu 28 Dec
Dirty Bertie
Slaughter the English language in an effort to convince others that the opinion being presented is, somehow, more valid than others.

Examples of this slaughter?
22:39, Thu 28 Dec
WR Blue
El Mayor
You may not like this pal, but based on my interactions on here and FB I worry that many people really aren't capable of rational or critical thinking.

When you expand it to include mass social media, then I don't disagree. In my experience it's the minority who have studied critical thinking in any meaningful form. But previously you made the confirmation bias accusation directly to me in one or two discussions on here, this time you're not specifying exactly who you're aiming it at, but doing so within a thread where various people fit the profile you're suggesting ('those who 'believe it's true') - in a thread where I suggested that because many are suggesting it, that might give credence to the suggestion.

Some of us who were in threads where you previously made this type of accusation of confirmation bias took the time and effort to provid plenty of reasoning to support our assertions to try and demonstrate that it's nothing to do with a personal dislike of Wayne Rooney the person, it's about a personal dislike of the team playing really badly - and unfortunately, they're doing it in a manner which suggests that Rooney is doing a really poor job of managing the team.

Can you say all that in one sentence or less?
22:42, Thu 28 Dec
WR Blue
El Mayor
You may not like this pal, but based on my interactions on here and FB I worry that many people really aren't capable of rational or critical thinking.

When you expand it to include mass social media, then I don't disagree. In my experience it's the minority who have studied critical thinking in any meaningful form. But previously you made the confirmation bias accusation directly to me in one or two discussions on here, this time you're not specifying exactly who you're aiming it at, but doing so within a thread where various people fit the profile you're suggesting ('those who 'believe it's true') - in a thread where I suggested that because many are suggesting it, that might give credence to the suggestion.

Some of us who were in threads where you previously made this type of accusation of confirmation bias took the time and effort to provide plenty of reasoning to support our assertions to try and demonstrate that it's nothing to do with a personal dislike of Wayne Rooney the person, it's about a personal dislike of the team playing really badly - and unfortunately, they're doing it in a manner which suggests that Rooney is doing a really poor job of managing the team.

Cuckoo !!
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
22:43, Thu 28 Dec
El Mayor
Can you say all that in one sentence or less?

Why?
22:47, Thu 28 Dec
generalBlue
Cuckoo !!

It's become clear recently that there are generally two types of comments on here - 1) discussing football 2) attacking other commenters. When people notice that the discourse has become toxic, it's pretty much always the latter that is causing it.
22:51, Thu 28 Dec
WR Blue
generalBlue
Cuckoo !!

It's become clear recently that there are generally two types of comments on here - 1) discussing football 2) attacking other commenters. When people notice that the discourse has become toxic, it's pretty much always the latter that is causing it.

Correction , there are 3 types of comments.
The third category is from mind numbingly boring people such as yourself.
23:43, Thu 28 Dec
F*ck me this thread is an abomination.

We are becoming a really odd bunch of fans.
Mandated as the Poster of Reason - October 2023
23:44, Thu 28 Dec
Ahh I see opinion unencumbered by evidence ;-)
00:04, Fri 29 Dec
Robert Hopkins
Spot on - this breeds an i am better than you attitude which the players won't buy into and only ends one way. Said before when i saw him turn up at Plymouth not on the coach and then surrounded by 4 minders to walk through the same area the players had just strolled through, made me decide he hasn't the right managerial attitude. The fact that he is neing allowed to get away with it is also concerning.

He travelled seperate from the team as he had been ill and didn't want to potentially spread it around the squad. It's why Shuttleworth also did the press conference in the days before the game.

Terrible managerial attitude he's getting away with right there. (That's sarcasm )
00:39, Fri 29 Dec
WR Blue
El Mayor

Some of us who were in threads where you previously made this type of accusation of confirmation bias took the time and effort to provide plenty of reasoning to support our assertions to try and demonstrate that it's nothing to do with a personal dislike of Wayne Rooney the person, it's about a personal dislike of the team playing really badly - and unfortunately, they're doing it in a manner which suggests that Rooney is doing a really poor job of managing the team.

Question. Why would you view a clip of him taking a golf swing at home and see that as a possible sign of him half arsing his job, but be dismissive of someone who has proven to us countless times that he's credible, and is telling you outright this X post is bollocks?
08:48, Fri 29 Dec
WreckTangle
Question. Why would you view a clip of him taking a golf swing at home and see that as a possible sign of him half arsing his job, but be dismissive of someone who has proven to us countless times that he's credible, and is telling you outright this X post is bollocks?

This demonstrates why it's difficult/pointless trying to have a discussion here.

a) 'Why would you view a clip of him taking a golf swing at home and see that as a possible sign of him half arsing his job' - I didn't do this. Read what I wrote again please.

b) 'but be dismissive of someone who has proven to us countless times that he's credible' - I was only dismissive of his assertion of 'confirmation bias' when referred to myself, not anything else he's ever done or said. I haven't disputed that he's right about Rooney.
09:09, Fri 29 Dec
WR Blue
El Mayor
Thing is, a lot of people want to believe its true cos they don't like or rate Rooney so they want to believe stuff that makes him look bad - basically confirmation bias.

You keep rolling this line out but it's utter tosh in many cases, it's a sneaky way of attacking the person - suggesting that they're not capable of rational/critical thinking. If you disagree with something somebody is saying, you should be verbally dextrous enough (based upon your articles) to try and deconstruct their assertion with your own counter-assertion, rather than resorting to Ad Hominem, which doesn't win any arguments because it's a logical fallacy.

Are you available for parties and/or bar mitzvahs?
Up the feckin Blues
09:13, Fri 29 Dec
How very condescending. Good to know you're no better than the rest of us.

a) you highlighted it in support of a post suggesting the manager has a poor attitude. Where have I gone wrong?

b) I didn't say you disputed him. Do you think Mayor is right?