12:35, Sat 9 Dec
Typhoontechie
Problem with that is you will always end up in the same loop and locks us in to never changing.

At some point we have to push through the sound barrier and move forward if we want to change our mentality and style. We've allowed a decade of shite to make us think the only option is to make the best of our straw house instead of collecting bricks for a new o e.

It could be done more gradually, and I'm not 100% convinced Rooney is the man to do it, but we have to at least be open to it guys

Bang on !

People erecting erections for John Eustace have short memories.
The club's philosophy has needed change on and off the pitch for decades.
Here's our golden opportunity.
Rooney's task to change the playing style may be too much for him but we have to be radical and stay with the phliosophy.
There's gonna be pain but we must embrace the changes.
Something tells me that Tom Wagner and Co won't deviate from their goal.
It's not about 9 games or one window or half a season.
Patience, patience and more patience !
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
12:36, Sat 9 Dec
And when we're in the bottom 3?
12:48, Sat 9 Dec
This whole situation has exposed the players in my opinion.

A squad knocked up of injury prone players, mentally fragile players, sulky players and players unable or unwilling to take instruction from a new boss at work.

I know I’ll get pelters for this, but from the first game a section of these players seemed to totally down tools.

I liked JE, I didn’t want WR, and I thought the timing was poor from the board. I can see why they did it, and they obviously thought they could take a short cut to success.

They’re now left with 2 options, dig in, back WR and see what they can juggle in January and then the summer. Moving on players that just can’t/won’t do what’s being asked of them. Or, sack him and his staff which probably wipes out any summer budget, delaying progress on the pitch further.

For me, take the dig in option. Make all possible alterations that can be made in January and hope we stay up. If we sack him, the players all know what to do if they want the next manager out again.

The fans are divided, and that won’t be bud anytime soon. One thing I think most will agree on is JE should’ve been given the season to gives us stability and a platform to build on. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.

Just my opinion, very depressing right now, we should all be bouncing off the walls and getting the atmosphere back at St Andrews…unfortunately it feels like we are self imploding.

It’s a long long road, that’s for sure
12:51, Sat 9 Dec
Newbs
And when we're in the bottom 3?

Shot ourselves and chase the team of Tebilys wet dream.

In all seriousness, its where the 'more gradual' part of my post comes in, we have to do enough to be competitive this year and get some people back on side.

Then we recruit along three pillars;

Physical attributes necessary for high press, front foot games

Technical attributes to create opportunities and score goals

Leadership attributes to control temperaments on the pitch and enforce standards.

Buy the best we can afford, find someone who can get a tune out of them and strap ourselves in
12:56, Sat 9 Dec
generalBlue
Typhoontechie
Problem with that is you will always end up in the same loop and locks us in to never changing.

At some point we have to push through the sound barrier and move forward if we want to change our mentality and style. We've allowed a decade of shite to make us think the only option is to make the best of our straw house instead of collecting bricks for a new o e.

It could be done more gradually, and I'm not 100% convinced Rooney is the man to do it, but we have to at least be open to it guys

Bang on !

Rooney's task to change the playing style may be too much for him but we have to be radical and stay with the phliosophy.

Once again you’ve mistook people criticising Rooney as loving JE. I’d say most weren’t that bothered with JE, but he gets brought up because he’s a fair comparison to our current manager, and the current manager is proving to be a lot worse, and playing football that is actually more negative than what JE did. There was a lot of hoofball last night for example.

Now I’m not disagreeing with t changing the philosophy, we do need to change that and build a better more progressive style. But do it in the summer after a steady season of stability, and appoint a manager with a proven track record and credibility, not just someone who is a big name and has no credentials. Even gerrard had a title win under him, what’s Rooney got
13:35, Sat 9 Dec
generalBlue
Tam
generalBlue
HackneyBlue
Yep, because those shortfalls mostly didnt exist under the previous manager.

And its an injury prone squad thrown together on a shoe string, they are obviously going to have limitations

Until we can spend whatever we like we need a good coach who can get the best out of what we have, anyone pretending we have that currently is denying the evidence in front of them

Equally, anyone pretending that every player is currently giving 100% in terms of either application or effort is blinded to reality.

Who would you pick out as not giving 100%, out of interest?

In no particular order......
Long
Sanderson
Beilik
Dembele
Myoshi
Hogan
Bacuna
Stansfield
Gardner
Replay the last 6 games and tell me honestly that all the above have put in 100% effort .

Stansfield...? Are you seriously suggesting that last night Dembele wasn't giving 100%?

Him, Stansfield, Roberts and Ruddy were the only ones who come out of last night with any credit.

Honestly, what Rooney's appointment has done to the fanbase is laughable. And that's on both sides, the ones who shout abuse and the ones turning on our players in his defence.

What's happening to us as a fanbase right now is truly mental. We've lost the plot.
13:53, Sat 9 Dec
Bluenose27
generalBlue
Typhoontechie

Bang on !

Once again you’ve mistook people criticising Rooney as loving JE. I’d say most weren’t that bothered with JE, but he gets brought up because he’s a fair comparison to our current manager, and the current manager is proving to be a lot worse, and playing football that is actually more negative than what JE did. There was a lot of hoofball last night for example.

Now I’m not disagreeing with t changing the philosophy, we do need to change that and build a better more progressive style. But do it in the summer after a steady season of stability, and appoint a manager with a proven track record and credibility, not just someone who is a big name and has no credentials. Even gerrard had a title win under him, what’s Rooney got

Exactly.

This is what's frustrating me. There's a need to defend what is looking like a big mistake with each passing game. And as the game's get worse, the defence gets more ridiculous.
14:07, Sat 9 Dec
The fans quite rightly are frustrated, angry, disappointed and downright fed up etc we have had 10 years of languishing in the bottom half of the championship with utter dirge of football prevailing most of the time. In that time other clubs have yoyo’ed back from the brink or taken the opportunity and are now excelling. look at Brentford, Forest Luton , Ipswich, even fluppin Cov .it is a disgrace that a club taking its name from England’s second City is self imploding in spectacular fashion…..
Just a perfect day. Drink sangria in the park And then later, when it gets dark...We go home
14:12, Sat 9 Dec
ben sotv
The fans are divided, and that won’t be bud anytime soon. One thing I think most will agree on is JE should’ve been given the season to gives us stability and a platform to build on. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.

To be honest, it didn't require hindsight. Just take a look at this thread from the day Eust.ace was sacked, when Rooney was still just a rumour -

[www.smallheathalliance.com]

It's a long thread and I don't know if the link goes straight to what I'm referring to. But on page 17 (for example) there are a few people pointing out what was obvious to some and then you have the usual suspects who have been 'attacking the person', causing division and creating toxicity ever since towards anyone who dares to point out that the sacking itself along with the choice of replacement were terrible, terrible ideas which will take a long time for the club to recover from.
14:56, Sat 9 Dec
bluer than blues
generalBlue
Tam
generalBlue
HackneyBlue

And its an injury prone squad thrown together on a shoe string, they are obviously going to have limitations

Until we can spend whatever we like we need a good coach who can get the best out of what we have, anyone pretending we have that currently is denying the evidence in front of them

Equally, anyone pretending that every player is currently giving 100% in terms of either application or effort is blinded to reality.

Long
Sanderson
Beilik
Dembele
Myoshi
Hogan
Bacuna
Stansfield
Gardner
Replay the last 6 games and tell me honestly that all the above have put in 100% effort .

Stansfield...? Are you seriously suggesting that last night Dembele wasn't giving 100%?

Him, Stansfield, Roberts and Ruddy were the only ones who come out of last night with any credit.

Honestly, what Rooney's appointment has done to the fanbase is laughable. And that's on both sides, the ones who shout abuse and the ones turning on our players in his defence.

What's happening to us as a fanbase right now is truly mental. We've lost the plot.

Watch Dembele's weakness , falling over and giving the ball away .
They break and score.
Watch it and watch it again, let it sink in and think about how that affects the scoreline.
Borrowing your insult it's truly mental that you can't see that.
Jude should be front and centre of everything England do in the attacking third of the pitch.
Give him the armband now too ! ( AUG 2023 )
Tha Project OBE
What is with this attitude of completely sh*tting on players who worked effectively in our previous system in defence of a manager that has no career history of ever being good at management? Are we losing our minds right now?

Remind me, how high up the table did we finish last season? How many goals did we concede? How many did we score? How many of the last 5 games did we win, how many did we draw?

I’m not sure the sanctification of the former employee bears too much scrutiny.

Who is sanctifying him? I think all most are saying and feeling is he was a decent enough manager who was mostly getting a tune out of a still relatively limited squad, and then comparing that to what's unfolded since. As it goes I didn't think we should have got rid - he did what was asked last season comfortably, then mostly got us performing this season with a functional but sometimes exciting style. But none of that's the point anymore. He could have made us pretty dire and still been better than the last 9 games. I'm well up for moving on past JE but the need to make him sound far worse than he was just to make Rooney look less of the potential mistake he's turning into is ridiculous.
15:26, Sat 9 Dec
Given the significantly different playing squad this season compared to last, your comparison is pointless.

Let's compare the results and performances this season for the two managers using the same players.
The cold never bothered me anyway
15:35, Sat 9 Dec
bluer than blues
generalBlue
Tam
generalBlue
HackneyBlue

Long
Sanderson
Beilik
Dembele
Myoshi
Hogan
Bacuna
Stansfield
Gardner

I dont get it

I watched Stansfield work incredibly hard last night especially off the ball

In fact other than Bielik who has been scapegoated as he was shown up on Sky I didnt think there was a lack of effort from any of them last night

I dont buy the narrative the players weren't trying at all
15:37, Sat 9 Dec
ben sotv

To be honest, it didn't require hindsight. Just take a look at this thread from the day Eust.ace was sacked, when Rooney was still just a rumour -

It's a long thread and I don't know if the link goes straight to what I'm referring to. But on page 17 (for example) there are a few people pointing out what was obvious to some and then you have the usual suspects who have been 'attacking the person', causing division and creating toxicity ever since towards anyone who dares to point out that the sacking itself along with the choice of replacement were terrible, terrible ideas which will take a long time for the club to recover from.

I don't know why you didn't link to the start of that thread - 'cos it's very revealing

THere are at least 2 posters now accusing the players of "all being crap" who posted back then that we had the most talented squad for years
I was one of the very few that never slagged Villa John off. Never advocated for his sacking. You correctly point out that we don’t know how it would have turned out over the season with him still here, just as we don’t know how it will turn out now.

There is a tendency by some to assume that because we had a decent start we would maintain it. Last season proves its not necessarily the case, it was very mixed with at least two piss poor runs.

Villa John is now irrelevant and constantly harking back to him is pointless.