09:31, Thu 4 Jan
number8
It would be a total volte face on everything we have been told. There is no way you need a Rowett type to keep this squad out of trouble. Madness.

Yep.

I can only agree.
09:31, Thu 4 Jan
Blue_since_62
Since Rowett left Millwall, 7 Championship Managers have lost their jobs. None of the 7 have appointed Rowett as a replacement.

That says it all for me.

You know if he was interested, applied or was interested in any of those jobs? I don't
09:33, Thu 4 Jan
Yeah, he would definitely keep us up but he wouldn't move us along at all. At least Mowbray would provide some progress on playing style.

I'm still hoping it's a long term appointment mind.
Happy Clapper
09:35, Thu 4 Jan
Tam
Tam
I remember that Reading game. It was strangely unexciting, given the scoreline. I think we broke six times (perhaps more) and scored. It was daft, but I remember there not being the sort of fever that you’d expect with a goalfest like that.

I’d really prefer Rowett not to come back. His brand of football was tedious and I didn’t much like him anyway. I never forgave him for jumping out of a tackle with Lee Hughes, leading to a WBA goal, and wasn’t fond of him after that.

Obviously that’s just a grudge that I have to bear personally forever 😁 but surely we can be a bit more progressive than this, given the aim of better football. This appointment would look insane, given the rhetoric earlier in the season. The other thing is - it strikes me as a little bit insulting to ask a manager to do a job for a few months until we can find someone better. Money’s money and all that,but presumably he’s still being paid by Millwall. As for a longer contract, we’ll surely we wouldn’t want him here for longer.

If it WAS him, it would seem to be a bizarre turnaround and I wouldn’t like it in the slightest, but I’d still trundle down and support them. I would be concerned about their level of thinking though, as far as managers go.

100% This
Ricky Otto 1994-1998 - The Man, The Legend
09:38, Thu 4 Jan
Yeah that's largely my view. We're in a good position in terms of offloading a bunch of old, crap players in the summer, having money to rebuild, having stable owners who are trying to improve the club and so on. Everyone wants to manage in the Premiership so if someone doesn't want the job at Blues, that tells me that either they expect to be offered a Premiership job soon (in which case, good luck to them) or that they don't think they could get us promoted (in which case, I don't want them here).
09:40, Thu 4 Jan
Le Mod
Yeah, he would definitely keep us up but he wouldn't move us along at all. At least Mowbray would provide some progress on playing style.

Why wouldn’t Mowbray be a long term appointment?
I keep seeing about get him in until the end of the season or 18 months. He’s 60 years old not 75.
Also god knows what equates to long term appointment nowadays. A season with us probably qualifies
Tony Fantastico
I'd argue 18 months would be a long term appointment.
09:43, Thu 4 Jan
I think he could be personally, but I'm assuming the owners would be appointing him as a stop gap, I could be wrong

Anyway I think we are both members of the Tony Mowbray Fan Club so I would not be disappointed, and yes 18 months is quite long term these days
Happy Clapper
09:46, Thu 4 Jan
TrickyBlue
Are people panicking that much they think we need someone like Rowett to “stabilise and stay up” have you looked at the table? Any half decent manager would have no problems keeping us up this season.

I had absolutely no doubts we would be fine in 2011
09:51, Thu 4 Jan
number8
It would be a total volte face on everything we have been told. There is no way you need a Rowett type to keep this squad out of trouble. Madness.

Yep.

I can only agree.

I don’t want them to perform a volte face but wouldn’t hold it against them. They said this, it was stupid, now they’re saying that. It’s OK to change your mind if experience suggests it’s prudent. Just ask Edison.
09:52, Thu 4 Jan
Le Mod
I think he could be personally, but I'm assuming the owners would be appointing him as a stop gap, I could be wrong

Anyway I think we are both members of the Tony Mowbray Fan Club so I would not be disappointed, and yes 18 months is quite long term these days
I like him. Evolved as a manager really well from the gung ho days at Albion, but has the mix spot on of being defensively sound and always a threat with the ball.
It wasn’t you I meant but people speak like he’s Hodgsons age.
Tony Fantastico
09:52, Thu 4 Jan
Le Mod

Yeah my preference is for us to get the right man long term but I wouldn't want us to rush into an appointment we're not completely happy with.

Mowbray would be my ideal 'shorter term' appointment.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
I’m in this camp. If we can’t get our long term pick in now, we should target and heavily load a contract, to a manager to keep us up and put us on a good ground for whom ever comes in
09:55, Thu 4 Jan
Le Mod

As you will know I rate Tony Mowbray most highly as a bloke and a manager...though I do hide it quite well and wouldn't blame you if you missed the subtle clues - like me weeping every time his name is mentioned.

But anyway.

I think he's a bit of an outlier in that you would have to sit him down, set out what you are looking for very clearly and listen to what he thinks / wants. I doubt - given what he has said in the past about his family considerations, that he would be up for a short-term job - as in, to the end of the season.

I see no reason you couldn't get him interested in a permanent appointment though, provided you could convince him of your best intentions - backing and support as long as he measured up to his targets.

If you want somebody to come in, make players feel good about themselves - nurture and develop young players - get the club moving forward on the pitch - and do it all whilst playing very watchable but sensible football, I don't think you could go far wrong.

I don't think he is so desperate as to jump into any old job, but I think with a realistic template on all sides, he'd be very, very good.

As Rab says, 60's hardly old in those terms.
I think Mowbray would be fine long term (whatever that means these days - 2 seasons?). He'd be far above most of the suggestions I've seen on here imo. I'm not sure if he'd fancy it, might be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he didn't want to leave the North now. He'd be great for Blues though, plays good stuff.
Up the feckin Blues