12:11, Wed 13 Dec
Maybe they had the Wheels site all approved but then they decided it wasn't ambitious enough and they wanted more of a "no fear" type location, so they've found a site in Aston.
12:12, Wed 13 Dec
Spike
The link works.

But isn't that clearance and remediation just what the council are already committed to doing and have central government funding for?

I don't know anything about this.

Was hoping Rags saw this cos he's much more clued up - wanted his input.

This is the doc that explains it all

[eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk]

and here's the full list of 52 docs

[eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov.uk]

I only first heard about this about 2 hours ago so can't help much at this stage - but obviously if that was built then it won't be Blues new home.

But remember - it doesn't mean they own it .... they've just put in a planning application

for those who don't know what a Hybrid PA is ...

HYBRID PLANNING APPLICATION
A hybrid planning application may seek outline planning permission for one part of a site and full planning permission for another part of the same site under a single application. Hybrid applications are not defined in statute and as such it is the LPA’s discretion whether to accept such an application. They are often used on major developments to enable work to start sooner on one part (or phase) of the site before the full details of the other part(s) are known.
KES
12:19, Wed 13 Dec
Did the club ever come out officially and say they were looking at Wheels Park for a potential new stadium or was it all just hearsay and speculation?
12:21, Wed 13 Dec
B8 (Storage or distribution)

Makes sense that one of our problems is we don't have planning permission for midfield passing.
12:21, Wed 13 Dec
KES
Unless i am missing something, why would the Council apply to build warehouses?
12:26, Wed 13 Dec
Sorry if I'm being thick but why is it less likely if someone else has submitted planning permission?

If we do the same can the council not just choose who they prefer?

???

It isn't less likely at all ... just 'cos planning permission may go through you sort of need to OWN the land to carry out those plans.

but ... now that the decision of who to sell to doesn't rest with the Council, but with the Commissioners, it may well come down to purely who bids the most when it goes on sale.

As i posted a few weeks ago - the appointment of the Commissioners makes it a purely financial thing now ..... there is no longer the chance of Blues getting preferential treatment, or a cheap deal, because the Council want St Andrews for social housing
12:30, Wed 13 Dec
KES
KES
Did the club ever come out officially and say they were looking at Wheels Park for a potential new stadium or was it all just hearsay and speculation?

Was thinking the same, far as I know a few ITK sorts online put the idea forward and people have grabbed onto it and run with it, until we are at the stage where some go 'when' the stadium is built on wheels.

Doesn't mean we won't ever get one, but there does seem to have been a lot of 2+2=5?

Unless I've missed something?
Up the feckin Blues
12:30, Wed 13 Dec
Shelby/Knighthead have only been here a few months and, in that time, the HS2 decision was made and then the council went bust. I imagine they'll carry on regardless but you do have to wonder what they're thinking about it all.
12:31, Wed 13 Dec
KES

No, they've been very careful not to admit it publicly .... but they were, have met lots of times with BCC and Andy Street and, as i exclusively revealed ... have bought Medco House for £5 million (but they can always sell that of course if they can't buy, or decide not to buy, the Wheels site).

No other site has even been considered.

In fact if whoever is behind this planning app DOES buy the Wheels site then we'd probably, perhaps, maybe, make a decent profit on Medco House by just flipping it
12:31, Wed 13 Dec
I don’t have any special knowledge of the site, but all it seems to do is give them full planning for demolition / remediation (meaning they or whoever buys the site could get on with that - subject to any conditions) and outline to give permission for what the site is already allocated for in the Birmingham Plan. They’ve ‘reserved all matters’ meaning everything about scale, appearance, access etc. would need separately approving. BCC is the applicant by the looks, so not a third party or end user in mind necessarily.

Nothing to stop someone else applying to do something different. There’d be a legal and policy question about whether a stadium could be part THIS outline permission (if there was a load of employment stuff attached) or would need a fresh permission (more likely I would say), but it doesn’t really help or hinder - other than it’s good news that clearance could be done for whatever ends up there, stadium or otherwise. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

I’d guess BCC would want to do it regardless to make sure that the site is developable and saleable.
doesnt sound much like a stadium is going to be built,
The site is presented as the Key Opportunity for Change in the AAP and is expected to include
new industrial and employment opportunities of up to 1 million sq. ft of floorspace and 3,000
new jobs. New and improved access arrangements will be provided to the site, including a spine
road through it connecting Garrison Lane to Bordesley Green Road.
2.2.11 The development was expected to include B1(b) and (c), B2 and B8 land use classes, in multiple
units of differing sizes. A third connection was included to Adderley Road South, but the current
proposal is to provide this for non-vehicular access only.
12:34, Wed 13 Dec
There is a chance that it wont all be used for warehouse, or a portion could be used for it.

Who knows.

If they want it, they will submit a bid and buy it when its for sale. I guess
12:35, Wed 13 Dec
If Knighthead want it, they will outbid others.

Planning application means nothing until the land is owned by those submitting the application.
12:36, Wed 13 Dec
I don’t have any special knowledge of the site, but all it seems to do is give them full planning for demolition / remediation (meaning they or whoever buys the site could get on with that - subject to any conditions) and outline to give permission for what the site is already allocated for in the Birmingham Plan. They’ve ‘reserved all matters’ meaning everything about scale, appearance, access etc. would need separately approving. BCC is the applicant by the looks, so not a third party or end user in mind necessarily.

Nothing to stop someone else applying to do something different. There’d be a legal and policy question about whether a stadium could be part THIS outline permission (if there was a load of employment stuff attached) or would need a fresh permission (more likely I would say), but it doesn’t really help or hinder - other than it’s good news that clearance could be done for whatever ends up there, stadium or otherwise. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

I’d guess BCC would want to do it regardless to make sure that the site is developable and saleable.

Actually there's something in what you've said there that i need to, and can, check up on. will put some calls in - problem at the moment is that i'm trying to read it all on my phone
12:36, Wed 13 Dec
As I understand it, they are asking for full permission to demolish what is there, to decontaminate the site, sort out the access roads and so on and are then asking for outline planning permission for the use of the land.

Outline planning applications are different as they are generally seeking to see if something is likely to be approved by the planning authority. If they've got that, potential buyers know it's worth bidding on. It doesn't mean we can't bid on the land and then whack in a planning application for a stadium.

[ecab.planningportal.co.uk]