12:00, Tue 7 May
Tam
Tam
number8
Mate, look at the state of media today, and imagine what it will look like if in 2 weeks we've heard nothing.

I think they have to say something soon, however unpalatable that may be.

And they (I'm sure) will know the situation by now. They couldn't release any news before the end of the season, because that would have been wrong, even if they knew at that point. I think that an announcement will happen very soon.

It might be that they don't know the situation now, as TM might not know the situation now, not all health problems are straight forward or binary in outcome. If there is a chance that waiting a few weeks could increase the chances of TM being our manager next season, then I think we'll wait. He'd easily be the best manager in League 1 next year. It could be that no news is good news. Obviously TM getting better is the main thing.

The model that we have means that Craig is buying next years squad anyway. Talking of alternative managers whilst we already have a great manager (who's unwell) seems a bit disrespectful to me. Players leaving due to performance or contracts are one thing, but I'd hate for anyone at the club to think the fans are getting excited about a change in manager. Most of us really want the current one back, so we should show a bit of class and 'zip it' until we hear otherwise.
12:00, Tue 7 May
quark
Seemed to be casting some doubt about TM returning. I really think an announcement is needed this week
If he’s not coming back his replacement is needed ASAP. We have a whole new team to build for next season and the sooner we start the better

This thread is hilarious.

Big budget for the league and a chance to build a whole new brand of football with such a turnover of players needed. Essentially use this as a reset and what do some of our fans want a manager who plays dreadful fearful football. Hilarious

For those who keep saying but who instead, it’s not our job to scout the manager the owners clearly stated a brand of football they want to play so should have managers identified to take the club forward doing that.

For me Rowett should not get the job under ANY circumstance.
12:02, Tue 7 May
Chris says FEA
Ron Saunders
Naturally most of us want TM to return, but assuming this isnt going to happen name someone you think would be a better bet than Rowett?

Thankfully, it's not up to fans to identify and name somebody to come in and takeover.

I doubt many Portsmouth fans would have identified John Mousinho, or Ipswich fans with Kieran McKenna, Lincoln with Michael Skubala etc. That doesn't mean you shouldn't strive for better and to get what you're claiming to be searching for.

That comes down to the team involved in recruiting the manager. They're the ones who will hear the presentations and the convictions of the candidates and it's them who should be putting the hard yards in to speak to people to try and unearth the next diamond, or find out which established names are available and what they would bring to the table. So far they have a 50% strike rate.

Yes - Rohl is arguably the manager of the season in the Championship, given how he turned around Wednesday. That is down to excellent recruiting, not fan surveys, since it is his first time in that role having worked his way up as a coach then assistant.

I feel comfortable saying Rowett would be a bad choice, because the club looks to be establishing a playing style that he won't do. I'll be shocked if whoever is in charge next season doesn't have us playing a style similar to how Mowbray was moving us towards - control possession and pass forward over endless recycling along the back line until Sunjic passes it to the other team.
12:06, Tue 7 May
Yes and fair play if they pull a name out the hat I’m right behind them but the hierarchy need to balance aspiration and ambition with pragmatism, cook or Gardner get this wrong their heads will well and truly be on the chopping block.

Just think it’s unnecessary so many turning their noses up at Rowett who would be a solid appointment.
12:09, Tue 7 May
I don't personally think Rowett has a style that would be remotely suited to what is required next year. He's good at organising and setting up teams to play on the break, but we wont be able to play like that next year, teams will park the bus. It would be a badly thought out appointment which goes against everything they have said over the last 6 months, for that reason I think it's very unlikely.
Happy Clapper
12:09, Tue 7 May
Ron Saunders
Yes and fair play if they pull a name out the hat I’m right behind them but the hierarchy need to balance aspiration and ambition with pragmatism, cook or Gardner get this wrong their heads will well and truly be on the chopping block.

Just think it’s unnecessary so many turning their noses up at Rowett who would be a solid appointment.

My thoughts summarised much better than I could (sorry for those who read that very long post)
12:12, Tue 7 May
We don’t want any more of the Rowett mentality in the club. Let’s build a team that thinks it can win every game it plays and where the players aren’t frightened of performing.
12:13, Tue 7 May
When you're appointing a new manager your head is always on the block, there's no difference here. Even more reason for them to go through the correct processes and work bloody hard to make sure they get the right man in, rather than taking the easy and safe option by re-appointing the bloke who hangs around like a bad smell.

As Le Mod makes crystal clear, his style would be atrocious for what we are trying to achieve next season. Have a bit of ambition, Ron!
12:19, Tue 7 May
Chris says FEA
When you're appointing a new manager your head is always on the block, there's no difference here.

I think it's different when you're appointing someone to take you forwards from a relatively stable position, to requiring that you bounce back ASAP and win promotion. Higher expectations breeds more pressure.

I think Dan or someone else said on Dan's thread about this summer being huge for CG. Not just the managerial decision but the recruitment, it could make or break him. If we don't get it right, I'm confident his head will roll, and he will know that too.

I'm surprised we're not discussing CG's role more. I know he's got a lot of favour and I'm very grateful for what he's done for us, I also think he did a very solid job in the summer still despite hindsight highlighting some oversights. But this is a different task. We have to bounce back ASAP and he's got to get a lot right. Lot of pressure on him
12:37, Tue 7 May
Chris says FEA
When you're appointing a new manager your head is always on the block, there's no difference here. Even more reason for them to go through the correct processes and work bloody hard to make sure they get the right man in, rather than taking the easy and safe option by re-appointing the bloke who hangs around like a bad smell.

As Le Mod makes crystal clear, his style would be atrocious for what we are trying to achieve next season. Have a bit of ambition, Ron!

We had ambition under Steve Bruce, it led to relegation taking us from a workman like team to one with skill pace and flair and was a disaster - Gronkjaer, Melchiot, muzzy izzet.

We had ambition under previous owners, move on Rowett for Zola and bought players like N'Sue, Keita, that worked out great.

We then had ambition for progressive football under Redknapp and bought players in like Frey, Marabti, Ndoye, again what a roaring success that was.

Just be careful what we wish for, the two players who can hold their head up high this season are the Juke and Stansfield. They leave everything out on the pitch. You want progressive attractive football you might end up with a team of Bacuna's and Dembele who have all the ability in the world but no fight for the battle.

I fully accept it doesn't always correlate but we have failed in every previous attempt to change the style, next season we need promotion.

TM returning is the dream, failing that not sure we need to look much further than Rowett.
12:40, Tue 7 May
Ron Saunders
TM returning is the dream, failing that not sure we need to look much further than Rowett.

I've agreed with you mostly - but I disagree on the latter part there.

We absolutely should be looking further than Rowett. I just don't think we should rule him out as an option. 100% we should be looking at available options. If he turns out to be what they consider to be the best option, then so be it.

But to suggest we shouldn't even look further than Rowett is wide of the mark for me.
12:40, Tue 7 May
Quite a few have produced more than Juke this season. Honestly mate aim for better from your football club.
Tony Fantastico
12:43, Tue 7 May
Ron Saunders
Chris says FEA

We had ambition under Steve Bruce, it led to relegation taking us from a workman like team to one with skill pace and flair and was a disaster - Gronkjaer, Melchiot, muzzy izzet.

We had ambition under previous owners, move on Rowett for Zola and bought players like N'Sue, Keita, that worked out great.

We then had ambition for progressive football under Redknapp and bought players in like Frey, Marabti, Ndoye, again what a roaring success that was.

Just be careful what we wish for, the two players who can hold their head up high this season are the Juke and Stansfield. They leave everything out on the pitch. You want progressive attractive football you might end up with a team of Bacuna's and Dembele who have all the ability in the world but no fight for the battle.

I fully accept it doesn't always correlate but we have failed in every previous attempt to change the style, next season we need promotion.

Rooney would stand a better chance of getting promotion from League 1 than Rowett.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
12:49, Tue 7 May
Unfortunately Garry Monk is gainfully employed so my choice would be Chris Hughton
12:49, Tue 7 May
From snippets I have heard TM isn't returning and they are going to appoint GR (accept what I've heard may be well off the mark but I have no reason to doubt it).

Absolutely I imagine the hierarchy would have been exploring other options for a while now but imagine the road has led back to GR.

Am I disappointed if it ends up like this, probably a little bit, but as I keep saying substance over style in the coming year, the only success is if we achieve promotion.

I would personally back GR to achieve this.