15:25, Sun 3 Dec
Nikola Zigic
I don't think we got lucky against Leeds or Albion tbh. Plymouth yeah.

We did against Albion with the penalty, made a huge difference to the game

With hindsight we played Leeds at the best possible time
NouCamp
Nikola Zigic

We did get lucky with the penalty v wba but we still had to go on and win the game. We still had to stop wba recovering from that decision and still winning, we did

I am a bit fed up of fans ( not anyone in particular on here, just a general point) cherrypicking snippets of JE's reign to suit their narrative that JE wasnt all that. Even man city lose games, have poor spells in games or are lucky at times or draw games they should have won etc

Fans need to look at JE's OVERALL performance this season and not justify his sacking by selecting certain moments like 'we were lucky with a decision v wba'
Or 'plymouth could have beat us, or 'we couldnt beat Qpr' etc
I did think until that lucky penalty against Albion we were pretty poor. After that, we played decent to get to 2-1, and then defended really well. Think we restricted them to one chance, from about 30 minutes of pressure. For me it evened out the Preston game where I thought we played well and were the better side, and only lost because bieliks bullet header into our own goal.

As well with the baggies game the crowd would have helped, the place was bouncing that night. Absolute night and day in comparison to the atmosphere now.
You can’t judge Villa John on this season. Last season showed how a good run can end and you then go long bad runs. May have happened this season, maybe not. No one knows.

There were plenty calling for his bonce not long before he got sacked.

I’m with Tam a little bit, was encouraged by the start to the season, hopeful that over the season there would be further improvement or at least consistency.

Didn’t want him sacked but wasn’t bothered when he was. Wasn’t keen on Rooney, but happy to see how he progresses.

The debate over whether Rooney or Eustace is the better manager is utterly pointless. The reaction to Rooneys appointment and our current form is shocking. Makes me feel a bit ashamed.
15:55, Sun 3 Dec
I do agree with you about the last point regarding JE overall. I think the only game where we were absolutely awful under JE this season was the Norwich game. Compare that to the fact we’ve been absolutely awful in about 5-6 of rooneys games.
Tha Project OBE
BluSabre
Villa John didnt bring in the players. The recruitment team led by Craig Gardner did.

I'm going to assume they were brought in with the rationale of playing more expansive progressive football.

I make the assumption because those players worked well in his system and they are not working well in Rooney's and people are starting to blame the players as not being good enough. In particular new recruits like Bielik. If the players are not good enough for Rooney and he's playing the way the board wants, they clearly weren't signed with his type of football in mind.

In the owners want a brand of football regardless of manager then they need first establish a solid recruitment system and then appoint head coaches. Rooney was a appointed as a manager, which suggests he'll have a certain amount of control on signings. So if we give him Jan and it doesn't work out and then sack him, we've got a mess of playing squad.

Just seems to me there's a lack of thinking at the top and this is all being done haphazardly.

Results under Villa John were rather mercurial. Those players worked well in his system sometimes, certainly not all the time. Regardless of that the money men decided he was not their cup of tea so it's all fecking moot.

They don't want dull but occasionally effective football.

That's a simplistic and unfair assessment IMO.

He did better than previous managers, kept us well clear of relegation and was improving this season both in performances and results. It would a complete falsification of the past to say that we didn't play some good football under JE because we did.

What we now have is, as others have said, dull and ineffective football. It might get better but my initial point still holds that whether the owners want better football or not, their process to get there so far has appeared clumsy. Now, I'd direct most of that at Cook's door. Regardless, any kind of plan that has been formulated has been executed badly. What they've done around the non-footballing side of things has been great.
I think for some people, nothing good Blues did up to his sacking can J.E. take credit for.

We won his last two: "he took the handbrake off as he knew he was getting sacked" (WR hasn't found the handbrake yet it seems)
We were goood defensively: "anyone can defend with 11 men behind the ball" (!?)
And individual victories are dissected and reinvented as to remove any notion of him being in any way influential.

Just ridiculous.
Bordesley not Small Heath
NouCamp
Nikola Zigic

We did get lucky with the penalty v wba but we still had to go on and win the game. We still had to stop wba recovering from that decision and still winning, we did

I am a bit fed up of fans ( not anyone in particular on here, just a general point) cherrypicking snippets of JE's reign to suit their narrative that JE wasnt all that. Even man city lose games, have poor spells in games or are lucky at times or draw games they should have won etc

Fans need to look at JE's OVERALL performance this season and not justify his sacking by selecting certain moments like 'we were lucky with a decision v wba'
Not sure they are.
And let’s get to the key point. Fans need to accept that Eustace isn’t bastard here. And isn’t coming back
Tony Fantastico
16:27, Sun 3 Dec
tebily
I think for some people, nothing good Blues did up to his sacking can J.E. take credit for.

We won his last two: "he took the handbrake off as he knew he was getting sacked" (WR hasn't found the handbrake yet it seems)
We were goood defensively: "anyone can defend with 11 men behind the ball" (!?)
And individual victories are dissected and reinvented as to remove any notion of him being in any way influential.

Just ridiculous.

Completely agree.
16:28, Sun 3 Dec
Aye you’re absolutely right. It’s fair to compare him to his successor though given the circumstances, and so far he’s doing a worse job imo.

If he turns it round, I guarantee most will forget about JE. I certainly will, but it doesn’t look promising that rooneys going to do that, so until then it’s going to keep getting brought up.
Rab C Nesbitt
Bordesley not Small Heath
NouCamp
Nikola Zigic

Not sure they are.
And let’s get to the key point. Fans need to accept that Eustace isn’t bastard here. And isn’t coming back

But the reason it's happening is because the replacement has (so far) made us much worse. Was the same with Rowett and Zola and this was the pressure that was always going to come for Rooney because of the timing/way in which JE's sacking was handled.
16:37, Sun 3 Dec
Don't compare him to eustace and don't judge him on results and performances.
As I’ve said more than once it’s mindset for me. Some of it due to me being lucky to be here. Continually looking back and pining for what you had is weird when you’ve got new owners we’ve craved for, and for over a decade imo. I’ve been with my missus for 28 years and don’t pine for my missus of 29 years ago or have I constantly compared them.
I’m confident in the future being waaayy better than the past so I make no apologies for supporting the club home and away and riding the waves.
I also realise that I’m different to plenty in my views on more than football matches and I’m also very content with that
Tony Fantastico
16:47, Sun 3 Dec
As I’ve said more than once it’s mindset for me. Some of it due to me being lucky to be here. Continually looking back and pining for what you had is weird when you’ve got new owners we’ve craved for, and for over a decade imo. I’ve been with my missus for 28 years and don’t pine for my missus of 29 years ago or have I constantly compared them.
I’m confident in the future being waaayy better than the past so I make no apologies for supporting the club home and away and riding the waves.
I also realise that I’m different to plenty in my views on more than football matches and I’m also very content with that

"pining for what you had is weird when you’ve got new owners we’ve craved for"

That's a ridiculous analogy that is either a deliberate attempt to mislead, an attempt to dredge some justification to your agenda or just being completely "forgetful" of the truth ... no-one is harking back to the previous owners - JE was manager under the CURRENT owners
16:52, Sun 3 Dec
Both things can be true.

You can (1) be happy that the new owners are taking the club in the right direction big picture wise and (2) think that appointing Rooney was a blunder in the near term.

It does not have to be both!