It reminds me of Bowyer and Cotterill. There's no discernible way of playing and we rely entirely on individual brilliance.

When they click and there's space to play then we look better- Blackburn. When we're tasked with being a tactically aware and drilled team, Rotherham- we are awful.

I keep going on about it but I could live with these results and even these performances if you could see they were working towards change. But you can't see it at all.

It's alarming.

Now there's a ridiculous narrative forming that the players aren't good enough. Well...

- They were unbeaten at home
- They were hard to beat
- They were in the playoffs - fact, yes there were caveats around that but they were getting enough results to be there.

Now we want to rip up the squad to satisfy a manager who has shown absolutely no track record in getting results. It's lunacy.

Just like Rowett, the replacement was the big issue. If they'd got someone in here with a good track record who understood evolution not revolution we'd all be behind it.

It's going to end in tears for someone.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
08:21, Sun 3 Dec
Solihull Blue
Absolutely this. and from what I heard Fri Night he’s got no right calling out players on their performance. I’m sure there’s plenty ITK on here that can ask a few questions. 1st day back at Training after the Int break, I heard there was an incident. If true it’s a disgrace, and b4 anyone starts bitching, wake up and look at what you’re seeing on the pitch, something isn’t right at the moment.

Well, we're waiting...

Piss or get off the pot
Chris
Solihull Blue
Absolutely this. and from what I heard Fri Night he’s got no right calling out players on their performance. I’m sure there’s plenty ITK on here that can ask a few questions. 1st day back at Training after the Int break, I heard there was an incident. If true it’s a disgrace, and b4 anyone starts bitching, wake up and look at what you’re seeing on the pitch, something isn’t right at the moment.

Well, we're waiting...

Piss or get off the pot

Does my head in when people do this.

Just say it or don't say anything at all.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
08:29, Sun 3 Dec
Rab C Nesbitt
Why are you asking that question?
Weird.
You said they had 10 days off work. They didn’t imo.
Now answer my question previously. If you do tasks given by work do you class it as a day off?

Ok I agree if you have been given a 10 day fitness regime it is not “10 days off”
But when players are in Tenerife etc how does it help with team work that we obviously needed.
If you are implementing a new style of play which he has ( and has again according to last night’s interview). How are players supposed to work on positioning, who does what when we have,and haven’t got the ball etc etc
Even ignoring that, our drop in form should have told any manager they needed time together, on the training pitch with coaches.
Not 500 miles apart running up and down beaches
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
08:32, Sun 3 Dec
Different argument and I can agree with that 👍
Tony Fantastico
08:34, Sun 3 Dec
Nikola Zigic
It reminds me of Bowyer and Cotterill. There's no discernible way of playing and we rely entirely on individual brilliance.

When they click and there's space to play then we look better- Blackburn. When we're tasked with being a tactically aware and drilled team, Rotherham- we are awful.

I keep going on about it but I could live with these results and even these performances if you could see they were working towards change. But you can't see it at all.

It's alarming.

Now there's a ridiculous narrative forming that the players aren't good enough. Well...

- They were unbeaten at home
- They were hard to beat
- They were in the playoffs - fact, yes there were caveats around that but they were getting enough results to be there.

Now we want to rip up the squad to satisfy a manager who has shown absolutely no track record in getting results. It's lunacy.

Just like Rowett, the replacement was the big issue. If they'd got someone in here with a good track record who understood evolution not revolution we'd all be behind it.

It's going to end in tears for someone.

This. All the way.
08:39, Sun 3 Dec
Radavis
Edwin
This is my two-penneth, but first things first, because I know very well how this place works.........
I have been a reader for many years - and spend a lot of time on this site - certainly too much for my wife's liking!
I've been a die-hard Blues fan for more than 50 years.
Stupidly I still let it ruin my life when things are going badly.
All I want is my team to do well - I have no interest in "proving points". So, that's the preamble.

I admit to being nervous before WR was appointed - it had the reek of nepotism, and there was nothing in his record to suggest he would improve things. Also, as an aside, he doesn't "need" to succeed in the way that same way that some unknown guy at, say Gillingham would do - his reputation will always get him a job somewhere.

Having said that I am willing to give him a chance.

His first game set alarm bells ringing. Although we only lost at the end, and by 1, we could quite easily have lost by 6 or 7.........as we could have done at Southampton, and Sunderland. In fact in every one of the last 8 games I would say we have been very fortunate not to have conceded quite a few more goals (per game) even than we have.
The decision to play Sunjic - who has proved effective this season as a destroyer-type CENTRAL midfielder - as a right-sided midfielder in that first game will be one I will never forget. To those who claim he didn't by then know the players I would say that if he hadn't, before that first game, watched every minute of our first 11 matches at least twice on video then his commitment is as questionable as his managerial record.

I would love him to succeed by the way, even now.

Unfortunately, as each game goes by I think the chances of that become further and further reduced.

Every team can have off games, for sure, but I can't remember seeing such defensive chaos week in week out, especially from a team that was previously solid.

Those who defend Rooney have done so with things such as the following 8, which I have now seen time after time:

- "Those first 5 games were tough" - whereas I see no discernible difference in the "average" league positions of the teams that Rooney has played v his predecessor. We have of, course, played the 2 bottom teams in the league at home under him, and could conceivably have lost both - today it was miraculous that we did not lose. Rooney himself has admitted that we were fortunate not to lose.

- "The players aren't good enough" - I along with many other fans was delighted and amazed at the quality of some of the players that we signed in the summer. The players were performing, were confident, and were getting results. Those same players now look nervous, disjointed, and even the technical ones are failing. I love Miyoshi for instance , but how many times did he misplace easy passes today? As for the deterioration in Sanderson, Stansfield, Bielik........

- "It's not the same as under Zola" - this is one I would have to agree with actually. The players that Rooney now has are light years away from those Zola had to work with, and then of course there is the whole ownership/infrastructure/"feel-good" factor, which are several million light years away from what surrounded Zola.

-"We are making progress" - This, I'm afraid is absolute nonsense/wishful thinking. There has been one match - Ipswich, where we had a good, a VERY good 45 minutes. That's what it was - I keep seeing 60 minutes, 70 minutes etc. Watch it back - right from the start of the 2nd half we stopped pressing - we had been ALL over them 1st half - absolutely smothered them. Gradually we got pinned further and further back, and in the end, whilst it would have been a travesty, we COULD have lost that game. Some people point to Blackburn as a good performance. We played some good stuff at times, yes, but we GAVE them FOUR goals, in ONE game - 3 of them in just over 10 minutes. If we are clinging on to that as a "good performance" God help us..........

- "It's our fault as supporters" - Is it REALLY? I can only speak for myself, but for the first 11 games of this season I was, for the first time in a long time genuinely excited by what I was seeing on the pitch, and looking forward to games more than ever - so there was great stuff on the pitch to match the exciting stuff off it. Not every game was great - but the football was much better than previous seasons, and we were a proper "credible" team, with a solidity to go with the better football. I came away from Preston, for instance, gutted that we had lost, but having witnessed one of the best performances I can remember from us in a LONG time. Ironically the 2 goals we conceded there WERE defensive mistakes, but they were glaring because they were anomalous (particularly in that game) where we defended just as well as we attacked. The difference under WR is that in every (away) game since he's been here we look like conceding every time the opposition have the ball in our half.
It's now getting to the stage (again) where I enjoy games much less. As I said above it kills me when we lose, but I could live with the odd defeat if I could see progress, if performances (in every part of the pitch) were getting better, as opposed to being much worse than previously.
I ALWAYS support the team on the pitch - I would never dream of anything else, but when performances AND results are as poor as they have become - especially when we have come from a position where both were much better - I think some "frustration" from some others is understandable.

- "Good on Rooney for calling the players out - they're paid a lot, and so he should". - Sorry - name me one successful manager that has publicly done anything other than back his players to the hilt. Ferguson, Wenger, Klopp would not/do not hear a word against their own players. I actually like his honesty - he is the only manager I can think of who properly answers questions honestly. I'm afraid, however, that I think it will harm his cause. As frustrating/prima-donna-ish as players can be I think that history shows us that calling out players PUBLICLY results in departures............of managers.

- "Don't worry - we will easily beat SW and Rotherham" - I am now REALLY worried. There is absolutely no way that this group of players should be performing this badly, We have played the 2 statistically worst teams in this league at home. Today we were very much second best, and were very fortunate not to lose the game. Against Sheffield we were significantly 2nd best in the first half, and overall probably "edged" the 2nd half. Before these games I was worried that we might actually lose both of them - not because I am an innate pessimist, but because we should know how football works. The players are confused, confidence is low - just because we are playing a team with a poor record we cannot expect to roll them over - as Blues fans we, more than anyone, should have learned that after the last few years of teams turning up to St Andrews and getting their first win in 3 months.

- "Rooney needs to be able to bring his own players in - these can't play his style" . These players are the best set of players we have had for some time. They were performing perfectly well - much, MUCH better at the very least, until he arrived. Whilst it is obviously imperative that we stay in this league if he can not get a tune out of these players I would be very concerned about spending more money on some different ones, when his managerial record (over his career - not just with us) does not exactly look like it guarantees that he will get a tune out of a different set of players.

I am worried that, far from showing signs of improvement, all I can see are signs of regression. The last 3 games have, I would argue, seen us being on the whole worse than the 2 bottom sides, and give 4 very preventable goals away in one half of football. The one "positive" in those last 3 games was that we showed a bit of fight/did not fold at Blackburn having gone 3 behind. Without being unkind to our players one has to wonder whether even that needs to be tempered with the idea that Blackburn quite probably lowered their intensity somewhat.

My fear is that Rooney will get us sucked into another relegation battle - (5 points from 8 games is no-hoper form) - how ironic given the massive improvements ownership-wise etc. I also fear that, especially since Cook apparently feels "got at" by the reaction to the appointment, he may not, if things continue to go badly, feel inclined to pull the trigger until it is too late.

We have got to hope, therefore, that Rooney and his team have both the inclination and the nouse to do whatever they feel necessary to turn this around. My feeling, and I desperately hope NOT to be proved right is that he does not, and that, because staying in this league is vital, as the new owners have made clear, that he WILL end up being fired. If that is the case, and I repeat again, I hope that it is not, we all need to hope that it does not happen too late.

If that’s your two penneth I’d hate to see the full shilling.

If that’s his two penneth I would love our owners to hear the full shilling. That was, in a very big nutshell how I think the vast majority of fans feel re Rooney’s time here
The fact that Jellyfish have survived for 500 million years without a brain, must give hope to a lot of people
08:44, Sun 3 Dec
Rubbish Ferguson use to slag off Beckham’s lifestyle it’s what caused the split that led to him being sold.
08:47, Sun 3 Dec
Yes, sums it all up for me. Good post.
- "Those first 5 games were tough" - whereas I see no discernible difference in the "average" league positions of the teams that Rooney has played v his predecessor. We have of, course, played the 2 bottom teams in the league at home under him, and could conceivably have lost both - today it was miraculous that we did not lose. Rooney himself has admitted that we were fortunate not to lose.

Don’t get not mentioning we got 4 points off the bottom 2. Plus when saying we could’ve lost to them he should really balance by saying we could’ve beaten Ipswich and got something against Southampton if officials did their job and Blackburn if Ruddy, Juke etc did their job better
Tony Fantastico
08:53, Sun 3 Dec
The only thing I will say is to remember the context. Rooney has been given a brief by Knighthead to completely overhaul the playing style. I do think the whole spine of the team needs improving to play in the way he/Knighthead wants.

If Rooney goes we have to remember the brief for the manager will presumably stay the same. Also, having the technical director model allows for this kind of change i.e they won't be solely 'Rooney players'.

That said, there has been little sign of progression in the eight games. Trying to change too much too quickly strikes me as poor management really. This is the best squad of players we have had in some time so I think it's fair to be expecting better than what we have seen so far.

We have six games until the January window opens, I'm just hoping he can pick up a couple of wins between now and then and some new blood improves things quickly. Obviously the concern is its difficult to see where those wins are coming from.
Yeah, that’s fair I guess. But 4 points more best case would still only be 9 from 8 games which is not far off relegation form. I’d say we’ve got more or less what we deserve, as another day we couple have done worse in the last two home games.
09:01, Sun 3 Dec
I have absolutely no concerns about Knighthead or them changing the playing style, I'm all for it.

My concern is with the man they've chosen to do it and how it's started so far.

I'm concerned about them doubling down and backing the wrong man for the job. My hope is that players are signed to fit a new style not just a manager and they'll be long term additions no matter who's in charge.
“Oh Nikola Zigic”

H
It’s all about the timing really, it’s daft to do it in the midst of a season
09:06, Sun 3 Dec
I think mid season is ok if you go evolution over revolution. Rooney went too quick, I think he knows that now and it's leading to uncertainty all over the place.