20:07, Sat 2 Dec
Oh give over, I'm sick of the players not being able to accept criticism. They're a bunch of grown men, not an under 16s team. Deal with it.

👏
20:08, Sat 2 Dec
bluer than blues
CastleBlue
Nikola Zigic
I just can't get my breath with that.

I need to collate my thoughts because I'm just going to vomit out paragraph after paragraph at this rate.

To be honest his insterviews are one the things tbat i like about him. He summed up the game and was honest about how shit we are.

The concerning thing about that comment is if he is telling the players to stop pratting about with it, why are they not listening to him?

He sounded almost amused/at a loss how we couldn't control a ball n make simple passes.

That's what worries me about a manager like Rooney. He was inherently talented and I'm sure he worked hard but a lot of things surely came naturally to him. There are a lot of naturally gifted footballers that simply can't explain to others how to do what they did and can't comprehend why they can't do it. And the difference between good managers and bad ones is the ability to convey such messages.

TF was a good example of this imo.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
20:09, Sat 2 Dec
These are championship footballers being paid a lot of money yet some of them can’t pass a ball properly. I’m not surprised Rooney is bewildered watching them.
shd
20:09, Sat 2 Dec
IanT
shd
IanT
shd
johnnyspex
NeilM
To be honest I didn't disagree with much Rooney said in the interview, the question is how does he sort it out?

It was interesting that in Lee Buchanan's interview played before Rooney's he said "the players have to take responsibility", and for me that was the main issue today, too many players went hiding, you saw the difference when Jordan James came on, took the game by the scruff of the neck and tried to make things happen, others didn't.

This
Some proper cowardly stuff today but then when you can hear a pin drop in the ground you can see why they’re nervous.

Nervous ??
Ffs what total bilge !
These are meant to be professional athletes and are paid handsomely for it the most of them

Confidence is important in any walk of life, even more so in top level sport.

In any job if you have your confidence undermined by your manager you won't perform to the best of your abilities.

It's a crucial manegerial skill.....to build people's confidence so that you can get the best out of them.

So is having pride in your own self and performance

True, but the players look lost to me. They seem scared to make a mistake, and they know the manager (and the fans) will criticise them if they make another mistake.

They're human beings, it's natural to go hiding in those circumstances.

Well I hate to say it but it goes with territory and some times, you have to motivate yourself
There’s more than enough hours of playing time in those players to be able to galvanise themselves
I see zero from anyone seemingly trying to rally the troops on the pitch
Oh to have a Barry Ferguson on the pitch….hed sort this out !!
20:10, Sat 2 Dec
IanT
shd
IanT
shd
johnnyspex
NeilM
To be honest I didn't disagree with much Rooney said in the interview, the question is how does he sort it out?

It was interesting that in Lee Buchanan's interview played before Rooney's he said "the players have to take responsibility", and for me that was the main issue today, too many players went hiding, you saw the difference when Jordan James came on, took the game by the scruff of the neck and tried to make things happen, others didn't.

This
Some proper cowardly stuff today but then when you can hear a pin drop in the ground you can see why they’re nervous.

Nervous ??
Ffs what total bilge !
These are meant to be professional athletes and are paid handsomely for it the most of them

In any job if you have your confidence undermined by your manager you won't perform to the best of your abilities.

It's a crucial manegerial skill.....to build people's confidence so that you can get the best out of them.

True, but the players look lost to me. They seem scared to make a mistake, and they know the manager (and the fans) will criticise them if they make another mistake.

And isn't a stark difference from where they were under JE, which was a confident group who knew their roles and trusted their ability to do it.

I know the argument for change is that we'd never get up without a significant change in style (I disagree), but it's stupid to completely overhaul what was a competent system when you don't have the ability to completely overhaul your playing squad. Especially if Rooney has now reverted, which he's seemingly suggested he's doing (hallmarks of Zola).

It's stupid from Cook to have signed Eustace style players and then sack him and replace him with a manager who can't coach Eustace style players. The owners have done a lot of good work in a short space of time but IMO Cook has made a pig's ear of this.
20:12, Sat 2 Dec
shd
shd
IanT
shd
IanT
shd
johnnyspex
NeilM

This

Nervous ??
Ffs what total bilge !

Well I hate to say it but it goes with territory and some times, you have to motivate yourself
There’s more than enough hours of playing time in those players to be able to galvanise themselves
I see zero from anyone seemingly trying to rally the troops on the pitch
Oh to have a Barry Ferguson on the pitch….hed sort this out !!

We've said this as fans over and over and over through the years but it's a pointless critique. What we know to be true is that the change in confidence comes whenever we install a manager who actually knows how to man-manage the players. And they always turn to sh*t when we hire managers who ask them to do things of which they are not capable.
20:14, Sat 2 Dec
Jmac98765
Oh give over, I'm sick of the players not being able to accept criticism. They're a bunch of grown men, not an under 16s team. Deal with it.

Like any group of employees some players need a bollocking, and others need an arm around them.

If some lose confidence and go into their shell and therefore stop performing, what are you going to do? Criticise them even more? Shout even louder at them?

Times have changed, and management skills have changed with them.
There's too much opinion and not enough fact.
20:34, Sat 2 Dec
Listen to him, he's a monosyllabic moron. What exactly are we supposed to be seeing from him? Disaster of an appointment.
20:35, Sat 2 Dec
Meadey
It’s an easy assumption that a few of those players know they won’t be part of the plan going forward so are just going through the motions.
Shame we can’t do the same to some fans
Tony Fantastico
He didn't show any ability to get much out of players at DC United. Not sure why anyone would think he knows how to get the best out of players based on his CV...
20:37, Sat 2 Dec
Rags
NeilM

This

Sorry , ................ you're blaming the fans for today's performance ?

What’s it like to be you?? Always looking for an argument, constantly at odds with everybody.

The atmosphere was crap & edgy & that spills over on to the pitch imo. it’s been like that at stans for ages even when JE was in charge. we’re only up for derby’s & games where their might be some bovver.And before you say that it’s the players who have to ignite the fans it is at times & not at others.
I can remember our fans singing their hearts out & having a laugh with some brilliant gallows humour when we were dross. Now it’s booing & bitching & i told you so merchants.

We’re crap & lacking confidence & the fans have to carry them a little bit it’s a kind of symbiotic thing imo Rags sorry if you don’t agree & want a bun fight but i’m not in the mood.

Understand what you mean now ... when you said "when you can hear a pin drop in the ground you can see why they’re nervous." i assumed you meant silence.

... but yes, when it's edgy, and you can hear the collective sighs and comments and groans it's definitely worse than silence and can affect you more
20:38, Sat 2 Dec
CarlosCostly
I think it was a fantastic idea to get the lads to have 10 days off rather than being on the training ground working on positioning, passing, pressing and playing styles. If we are going to return to a more direct style of play we may aswell have stuck with E/ustace (I couldnt care less if we kept or sacked him at the time). The thing that annoys me the most is the lack of options we looked at bringing in as manager, just gave it to Rooney without other candidates being considered.
When did they have 10 days off?
Tony Fantastico
20:40, Sat 2 Dec
Jmac98765

Like any group of employees some players need a bollocking, and others need an arm around them.

If some lose confidence and go into their shell and therefore stop performing, what are you going to do? Criticise them even more? Shout even louder at them?

Times have changed, and management skills have changed with them.

Management ethos has changed, but not necessarily management skills. I’m not convinced that you can equate a highly paid, highly skilled elite sportsman, who comes complete with an agent to represent him, with a 9 to 5 data analyst. It probably works a bit different. Might be wrong though.
20:41, Sat 2 Dec
Listen to him, he's a monosyllabic moron. What exactly are we supposed to be seeing from him? Disaster of an appointment.

That post is more moronic than anything Rooney has said. Sorry to be rude.
20:42, Sat 2 Dec
Jmac98765

I agree with this 100%.