21:07, Sun 12 Nov
Super Hans
newblue
We certainly didn’t play the Eustace style yesterday. Under Eustace we played ‘low block’ and counter attacking (without much attacking). It’s pretty different. There are long balls for sure but it isn’t the outball of choice.

I know you don’t like the bloke/think he’s an idiot, whatever. But it isn’t the same style even with the change from the first game. Whether it’s going to be effective is another matter.

Rooney? I’ve never put an opinion on here thinking he’s an idiot or that I don’t like him.

For my money he’s abandoned his style of play after 2 games and since then we’ve played multiple different styles. Juke up front long balls against Southampton, a tenacious press against Ipswich that was incredibly effective but not sustainable and then a not as good press against Sunderland, akin to some of the crap away days under Eustace.

We’re 5 games in and I couldn’t tell you what Rooney’s style of play is apart from an incredibly frustrating insistence that the full backs play narrow.

It’s been pretty apparent from your comments that you don’t want him as our manager. That’s fine, people can think what they like.

It’s pretty obvious he wants to play a higher line with a high press. We need some more better players who can keep the ball better to make it fully sustainable, plus better options off the bench. I don’t think he’s saying to the full backs don’t mark your winger and Laird was much better at closing that down. Both the full backs need more effective help from the midfielder in front of them, positional I think in terms of Bacuna (or whoever he’s going to play there) or Miyoshi in physical terms (he wasn’t playing left wing despite what some said about being wasted on the left wing). He clearly wants his players to be able to play through the lines.

I don’t think it’s difficult to see what style he’s tried the last two games and saying you have no idea what he is trying to achieve doesn’t ‘equal’ he doesn’t know what he is is trying to do, which is I think what you are suggesting. Of course whether it’s effective or ever going to be is another matter and we’ll see that shortly.
21:19, Sun 12 Nov
Bluesince42
Journey on with F F P how much do you think we have to spend 7 and a tanner?
Yeah for what he’s going to need, I’d say he’d want at last 5/6 players, starting from the goalkeeper. Unless we are crazy enough to try and break the FFP it just isn’t going to happen. Another reason his appointment was baffling.

Nowadays is near impossible to revolutionarise a squad of players in one window but he has to be given time and the chance to implement his philosophy.

Which is why clubs like Brighton and Brentford have been amazing, they’ve got to their core a philosophy and get in those types of players to the point where they inevitably lose those players and even managers but have a perfect fit lined up ready to fit into it and the clubs remain strong.
21:27, Sun 12 Nov

It’s pretty obvious he wants to play a higher line with a high press. We need some more better players who can keep the ball better to make it fully sustainable, plus better options off the bench. I don’t think he’s saying to the full backs don’t mark your winger and Laird was much better at closing that down. Both the full backs need more effective help from the midfielder in front of them, positional I think in terms of Bacuna (or whoever he’s going to play there) or Miyoshi in physical terms (he wasn’t playing left wing despite what some said about being wasted on the left wing). He clearly wants his players to be able to play through the lines.

I don’t think it’s difficult to see what style he’s tried the last two games and saying you have no idea what he is trying to achieve doesn’t ‘equal’ he doesn’t know what he is is trying to do, which is I think what you are suggesting. Of course whether it’s effective or ever going to be is another matter and we’ll see that shortly.

Thing is .... you say he needs better players and better options off the bench.

Why ?

Eustace had to work with what he had.

Perhaps Eustace would have like to have played more attacking progressive football - certainly he did at Kidderminster who were known as the "non league Barcelona" ...

So one could say

either ... "why are they buying Rooney the better players when they didn't buy them for Eustace ?"

or

"when Cook went to Eustace and asked for progressive attacking football - and Eustace said "what ? with these players ? " - did they then sack Eustace and get someone else in who also seems to be saying, or showing the same question ... ""what ? with these players ? ""
21:37, Sun 12 Nov
I think they must clearly have seen some of the performances and thought with a different philosophy we would have picked even better results.
I think the Millwall game was a perfect example of with the handbrake off we would have won that game comfortably not had to settle for a draw.

What they’ve clearly not thought about is you’ve got to walk before you run. Eustace was clearly managing that group of players well.
21:53, Sun 12 Nov
Tam
I agree with this, I don't get the desperation to slag everything off about the football under JE to try and justify the majority poor football under WR.
21:53, Sun 12 Nov
I didn’t want Rooney as manager no, but when the decision was made I’ve done nothing but back him (and continue to do so).

The ‘he needs better players’ argument is naff, I wasn’t JE’s biggest fan but he had us incredibly hard to break down and had us looking dangerous going forward by the end of his tenure (at home anyway, away he’d shit himself). On the other hand since Rooney came in we’ve looked like we could ship 4 or 5 a game in all but one of his games and largely toothless going forward.

I’ve no doubt WR has a style of play in mind, he’s already abandoned two other ways of playing since he came in so let’s hope it’s 3rd time lucky for implementing it. If we still look like shit after this break then he’s going to lose a lot of fans.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
JourneyOn
Eustace was clearly managing that group of players well.

This aspect isn't talked about much but was hugely underestimated by the owners if they even considered it at all?

This is a huge factor with what's going on at moment imo
Bordesley not Small Heath
JourneyOn
Eustace was clearly managing that group of players well.

This aspect isn't talked about much but was hugely underestimated by the owners if they even considered it at all?

This is a huge factor with what's going on at moment imo

Yes absolutely, for his faults JE is a fantastic man manager.
Tell you what that crack is really moreish.
06:36, Mon 13 Nov
Eustace wasn’t getting his press conferences on sky sports news though.

I understood the board wanting to draw attention to Birmingham city and Birmingham city football club, but unfortunately it is blowing up in their faces for all the wrong reasons at the minute.
NOGS74
Eustace wasn’t getting his press conferences on sky sports news though.

Employing an individual to draw attention to a club is overated imo

How much bigger and richer are Derby now because Rooney was there? Not much i would say
Probably mis-understanding my point or I didnt get it across properly...

I think the board were expecting 'wayne rooneys Birmingham city could go 3 points from the top today if they beat an in form Ipswich side at St Andrews'

Instead of

'another defeat for wayne rooneys Birmingham city coming up where he slates the players and says he is not disappointed that he's got one point out of 15 and that they've plummeted down the table but that the defending was excellent against Sunderland'
08:36, Mon 13 Nov
I can't believe that WR really thought the defending was excellent against Sunderland, despite him mumbling it in the post match interview. Probably just a justification/self-protection type comment as it was clearly atrocious.