11:25, Sat 20 Jan
I've posted about this before a couple of years ago and got called out for being immature.

But i refuse to change.

I've been recruiting this month for someone one management level below myself - someone who will be reporting to me. Lots of applicants of a very high standard all with good experience. I think you can say we were over-subscribed with applicants.

Came down to 3 stand out applicants after online Teams interviews. So time to meet them in the flesh.

Pretty non-standard Rags type interview - kind, fair but like to throw a few curve-balls in to test capability under pressure.

As usual, towards end of interview i always ask about outside interests and activities (pretty standard interview question) ... and i always follow up with, "anything else ? do you follow football ? Oh, really, any particular team ?"

If you EVER get this question in an interview ALWAYS reply, "no, just follow it in general".

Third interviewee (after one of the other two had proven to be excellent) was also doing excellent. His answer to the question was "actually yes, i'm a season ticket holder at Aston Villa". We have a brief, nice discussion about how well Villa are doing this season etc etc etc.

Interview ends, we shake hands, agree date for when i will contact him to see if he's been successful etc, he leaves. He's gone.

I laugh to myself, rip the printed copy of his CV into about 30 pieces and throw it in the bin and say to myself "feck off tw@t"

YES YES YES , i know, it's pathetic, immature and juvenile - but Christ it makes you feel good. All those years of mocking, all the times being bullied at schools full of Villa fans, all the sneers, all the not-very-funny digs. Revenge is mine !!

So if anyone ever asks you if you follow a football in an interview (or quite slyly inserts it into general chat etc) then always make sure you give a neutral response. You never know ... the very professional, business-like senior person interviewing you may just, underneath that thin veneer of respectability, have a pathological hatred of your particular club.

... and "no", i won't change. Even if the other applicants hadn't been as equally good i would have just gone back to the market until i found an excellent candidate who wasn't a Villa fan

They really are fecking idiots
11:27, Sat 20 Jan
And yet you big up JE🤔
11:28, Sat 20 Jan
Poor Eustace, will he ever find work?
....🤣😂, so how did the excellent candidate respond to the question 😤
And yet you big up JE🤔

He had the decency and sense to never talk about it.
11:30, Sat 20 Jan
....🤣😂, so how did the excellent candidate respond to the question 😤

She's a Baggies fan actually - i can tolerate that (i did ask if her husband was a Baggies fan too)

PS .. before anyone accuses me of making assumptions, she had already told me she was married and had a husband
11:31, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

Not employing someone because they are a effing villa fan.
11:32, Sat 20 Jan
and you are proud of that?

wow.
11:33, Sat 20 Jan
Bcfc 26
Your the immature one.

Yeah doesnt employ the outstanding candidate and calls others fecking idiots🙄
11:37, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

Of course i am ... didn't i just admit it ?

... but, in my mind, choosing to support Villa to the point of having a season ticket shows a very low moral compass, taking safe choices, lack of imagination, potential arrogance, no stomach for hard work when a problem arises and, most of all, you're not the one who has to work with the fecker !!
11:39, Sat 20 Jan
Rags
Your the immature one.

Of course i am ... didn't i just admit it ?

... but, in my mind, choosing to support Villa to the point of having a season ticket shows a very low moral compass, taking safe choices, lack of imagination, potential arrogance, no stomach for hard work when a problem arises and, most of all, you're not the one who has to work with the fecker !!

also they smell of wee
11:39, Sat 20 Jan
Bcfc 26
Your the immature one.

Yeah doesnt employ the outstanding candidate and calls others fecking idiots🙄

As i said- there was another equally outstanding candidate. (you wouldn't pass 'cos you obviously can't read)

But even if there wasn't, i'd have gone back to market and found someone MORE outstanding than the Villa fan
11:40, Sat 20 Jan
and you are proud of that?

wow.

On the other hand - at least i wouldn't discriminate against you for being Welsh
11:41, Sat 20 Jan
Don't you have any villa supporting mates or lifelong friends? ( whom presumably are ok, otherwise they wouldn't be your mate(s) ?
11:41, Sat 20 Jan
I’ve always thought interviews are decided in the first thirty seconds; first impressions are hard to shake and so I’m not surprised if anyone would decide against employing someone cos of who they support.

After all, one of the main things about interviewing someone is you’ve got to work with them - which means it comes down to “can I trust them to do the job?” as much as anything doesn’t it?

Or am I painfully naive about this?