12:27, Sat 20 Jan
Some people take this football stuff way too seriously.

And some dicks would rather play pool
12:27, Sat 20 Jan
StechyBlue
Your the immature one.

Not employing someone because they are a effing villa fan.

I wasnt asked in my interview who i support. Turns out my manager is a villa fan.

Does it affect our work ? No not in the slightest. He was born about 4 miles down the road from me and supports a different team, so what. If anything we have healthy banter and football aside, our sense of humour is almost identical. He could just as easily be a bluenose as i could be villa depending on our parents allegiance.

Would he have given me the job if he interviewed me and knew i was Blues. Yes because i was the better candidate on the day and who i support doesnt affect my work. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

My best mate as a kid directly opposite me was villa. But at heart we were all just kids from stechford. Who gives a shit. Some people take this football stuff way too seriously.

🤢
12:29, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

I wasnt asked in my interview who i support. Turns out my manager is a villa fan.

Does it affect our work ? No not in the slightest. He was born about 4 miles down the road from me and supports a different team, so what. If anything we have healthy banter and football aside, our sense of humour is almost identical. He could just as easily be a bluenose as i could be villa depending on our parents allegiance.

Would he have given me the job if he interviewed me and knew i was Blues. Yes because i was the better candidate on the day and who i support doesnt affect my work. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

My best mate as a kid directly opposite me was villa. But at heart we were all just kids from stechford. Who gives a shit. Some people take this football stuff way too seriously.

"I wasnt asked in my interview who i support. Turns out my manager is a villa fan."

Doesn't that prove my point ? They don't hurt like we hurt. They haven't suffered like we have suffered. They don't feel it like we feel it. Therefore he wasn't bothered enough to make sure he wasn't working with a Blues fan. They don't see the difference. They are the mockers, they are the bullies, they are the ones who see themselves as superior.

Villa fans deserve to suffer for their choices - Blues fans don't.
12:30, Sat 20 Jan
But you’re not a Blues fan.

I am of course a fan, not always a supporter. Because quite frankly i lost interest with the chinese era etc. I like keeping in touch with news/ discussions on here and going to 'some' games.

Ive always been an occasional. I have had season tickets. I own various shirts. I was at wembly as a nipper. Just football ISNT my priority. Simple as that.
12:32, Sat 20 Jan
Rags
I've posted about this before a couple of years ago and got called out for being immature.

But i refuse to change.

I've been recruiting this month for someone one management level below myself - someone who will be reporting to me. Lots of applicants of a very high standard all with good experience. I think you can say we were over-subscribed with applicants.

Came down to 3 stand out applicants after online Teams interviews. So time to meet them in the flesh.

Pretty non-standard Rags type interview - kind, fair but like to throw a few curve-balls in to test capability under pressure.

As usual, towards end of interview i always ask about outside interests and activities (pretty standard interview question) ... and i always follow up with, "anything else ? do you follow football ? Oh, really, any particular team ?"

If you EVER get this question in an interview ALWAYS reply, "no, just follow it in general".

Third interviewee (after one of the other two had proven to be excellent) was also doing excellent. His answer to the question was "actually yes, i'm a season ticket holder at Aston Villa". We have a brief, nice discussion about how well Villa are doing this season etc etc etc.

Interview ends, we shake hands, agree date for when i will contact him to see if he's been successful etc, he leaves. He's gone.

I laugh to myself, rip the printed copy of his CV into about 30 pieces and throw it in the bin and say to myself "feck off tw@t"

YES YES YES , i know, it's pathetic, immature and juvenile - but Christ it makes you feel good. All those years of mocking, all the times being bullied at schools full of Villa fans, all the sneers, all the not-very-funny digs. Revenge is mine !!

So if anyone ever asks you if you follow a football in an interview (or quite slyly inserts it into general chat etc) then always make sure you give a neutral response. You never know ... the very professional, business-like senior person interviewing you may just, underneath that thin veneer of respectability, have a pathological hatred of your particular club.

... and "no", i won't change. Even if the other applicants hadn't been as equally good i would have just gone back to the market until i found an excellent candidate who wasn't a Villa fan

They really are fecking idiots
So what would you have done if he had a small family, struggling to pay bills and keep his head above water? Football is only a game, Life is real
12:34, Sat 20 Jan
Rags is correct of course. You have to be able to work with these people. My list is slightly longer

No cyclists
No vegans
No lefties
No racists
No religious folk
No Irish
No women
No estate agents

Oh dear. I’m all of the above.
12:35, Sat 20 Jan
Some people take this football stuff way too seriously.

And some dicks would rather play pool

Lol. Personal insults nice. Top man.
12:35, Sat 20 Jan
Rags
I've posted about this before a couple of years ago and got called out for being immature.

But i refuse to change.

I've been recruiting this month for someone one management level below myself - someone who will be reporting to me. Lots of applicants of a very high standard all with good experience. I think you can say we were over-subscribed with applicants.

Came down to 3 stand out applicants after online Teams interviews. So time to meet them in the flesh.

Pretty non-standard Rags type interview - kind, fair but like to throw a few curve-balls in to test capability under pressure.

As usual, towards end of interview i always ask about outside interests and activities (pretty standard interview question) ... and i always follow up with, "anything else ? do you follow football ? Oh, really, any particular team ?"

If you EVER get this question in an interview ALWAYS reply, "no, just follow it in general".

Third interviewee (after one of the other two had proven to be excellent) was also doing excellent. His answer to the question was "actually yes, i'm a season ticket holder at Aston Villa". We have a brief, nice discussion about how well Villa are doing this season etc etc etc.

Interview ends, we shake hands, agree date for when i will contact him to see if he's been successful etc, he leaves. He's gone.

I laugh to myself, rip the printed copy of his CV into about 30 pieces and throw it in the bin and say to myself "feck off tw@t"

YES YES YES , i know, it's pathetic, immature and juvenile - but Christ it makes you feel good. All those years of mocking, all the times being bullied at schools full of Villa fans, all the sneers, all the not-very-funny digs. Revenge is mine !!

So if anyone ever asks you if you follow a football in an interview (or quite slyly inserts it into general chat etc) then always make sure you give a neutral response. You never know ... the very professional, business-like senior person interviewing you may just, underneath that thin veneer of respectability, have a pathological hatred of your particular club.

... and "no", i won't change. Even if the other applicants hadn't been as equally good i would have just gone back to the market until i found an excellent candidate who wasn't a Villa fan

So what would you have done if he had a small family, struggling to pay bills and keep his head above water? Football is only a game, Life is real

I can assure you that anyone who gets to interview stage for this position is not struggling and can pretty much pick where they work - although available positions are infrequent. All the candidates, not just those who made the final interviews, were already employed somewhere else.

I do have some humanity and would always help, and have helped, people who are down on their luck - regardless of their football allegiance

As an aside ... this was a £50,000/year position ... no Villa fan deserves to earn that much 😛😛😛
12:36, Sat 20 Jan
Tam
It genuinely doesn’t bother me as to who someone has played for or supported when it comes to them being at Blues. As long as they’re doing their best for us, that’s all that counts for me. And, as with the Grealish thread, if someone is kind, denting it because of their football allegiance or who they’ve played for is a bit daft to me. Each to their own, of course.

We use a web designer who’s a Villa fan and a lovely bloke. If he was on the payroll, there’d be no problem as he’s completely down to earth. That said, if you have to work with the person, then it’s important that there’s as little opportunity as possible to clash, and I can see how that could get a bit sparky. I wouldn’t employ anyone that hated dogs, for example (fears aside of course) or was involved in shooting or hunting. It wouldn’t work- it really wouldn’t work - so I can see it from that point of view.

Simple prejudice on display there. That’s ok, no need for anyone to get all precious about it.
12:38, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

Stop asking yourself questions. You’re not interviewing yourself and you’re not Chris Fecking Hughton
Tam
12:38, Sat 20 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
It genuinely doesn’t bother me as to who someone has played for or supported when it comes to them being at Blues. As long as they’re doing their best for us, that’s all that counts for me. And, as with the Grealish thread, if someone is kind, denting it because of their football allegiance or who they’ve played for is a bit daft to me. Each to their own, of course.

We use a web designer who’s a Villa fan and a lovely bloke. If he was on the payroll, there’d be no problem as he’s completely down to earth. That said, if you have to work with the person, then it’s important that there’s as little opportunity as possible to clash, and I can see how that could get a bit sparky. I wouldn’t employ anyone that hated dogs, for example (fears aside of course) or was involved in shooting or hunting. It wouldn’t work- it really wouldn’t work - so I can see it from that point of view.

Simple prejudice. That’s ok, no need for anyone to get all precious about it.

Was I getting precious? So sorry. I do have a prejudice against horrible effers though.
Make Blues Great Again
12:41, Sat 20 Jan
Rags

But i refuse to change.

What would you do Gerry, give all the candidates the job? Someone has to lose in this game of life
12:41, Sat 20 Jan
Tam
Fat Buddha CBE

Was I getting precious? So sorry. I do have a prejudice against horrible effers though.

Rude
12:42, Sat 20 Jan
I was broken down in Nottingham city centre one freezing cold Saturday. In an Alfa Romeo of course and to add to my lucky day Vile were in town and three of them came up to me to ask me where a pub was. I knew and told them I have no idea, not quite up there with Rags but satisfying. One of them actually looked just like Grealish as well. My day was well and truly ruined just seeing them. Oh and the head gasket had gone so cost me loads.
Tam
12:42, Sat 20 Jan
Fat Buddha CBE
Fat Buddha CBE

Rude

Yeah, I should have added ‘no offence’. 😁
Make Blues Great Again