12:07, Sat 20 Jan
Amount of villa sympathisers on here is sickening tbh

I sense he is probably younger, and didn't have the decades of mocking that us older ones had
12:09, Sat 20 Jan
Who me? I'm 28. 👍.

Just think it's harsh to judge someone on who they support!
12:10, Sat 20 Jan
We had the fecking deification of Grealish yesterday.

Place has gone to the dogs
12:10, Sat 20 Jan
Rags
I’ve always thought interviews are decided in the first thirty seconds; first impressions are hard to shake and so I’m not surprised if anyone would decide against employing someone cos of who they support.

After all, one of the main things about interviewing someone is you’ve got to work with them - which means it comes down to “can I trust them to do the job?” as much as anything doesn’t it?

Or am I painfully naive about this?

I think it's true that someone can ruin their own interview in the first thirty seconds but if someone isn't judging you over the interview as a whole is that really someone you want to be working for anyway ?

My best interview advice, by the way, is to always remember that it's a two way process - you are also there to interview the employer to ensure it's someone you want to work for. I had an interview myself 2 years ago where i stopped the interviewer (after he first made a slightly racist remark and then a VERY misogynistic comment about one of his staff) and told him that it was pointless continuing because i could never work for him without wanting to pull him up all the time about the way he viewed people

Totally agree with that. When I interview people, if they’re just there to answer questions and “get through it”, they go in the no pile. If they engage, ask questions that someone interested in the job would ask and turn it into more of a chat than an interrogation, that scores more points than any amount of waffling about teamwork and being self-sufficient ever will.

If someone asks a weird question you don’t know how to answer, ask a question instead to clarify what they want to know like you would do in any other conversation!
12:11, Sat 20 Jan
I work on a train station. Any time villa have a particularly popular away day I like to make sure we have no alcohol left on Sale for the feckers to buy (isnt anyone else who sells it on the station). 😁

Petty? Absolutely. But it always makes me laugh when they begrudgingly opt for water instead.

Same if any Villa or wolves ask for directions somewhere. Definitely getting sent the wrong direction 😎
12:11, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

Not employing someone because they are a effing villa fan.

Of course i am ... didn't i just admit it ?

... but, in my mind, choosing to support Villa to the point of having a season ticket shows a very low moral compass, taking safe choices, lack of imagination, potential arrogance, no stomach for hard work when a problem arises and, most of all, you're not the one who has to work with the fecker !!

I always end up arguing with my fellow interviewers when it’s close. They want to go by scores, I say have to manage this bastard and they have to fit in with the team and the needs of the team at that particular time. They have to fit the feck in.

So I applaud you Rags, for your common sense

It is important. My team are exactly that, "a team", with a mixture of different backgrounds, experiences, approaches where they all respect each others' opinions, respect that they are all different, and recognise that "everyone is brilliant at something - and it's usually something that you're not brilliant at yourself".
12:12, Sat 20 Jan
You may call them villa sympathisers ,others may call them Grown ups.
Or perhaps they are just not "Proper Blues", who knows?
12:13, Sat 20 Jan
Bcfc 26
Your the immature one.

Sounds fair enough to me.
12:13, Sat 20 Jan
They are DIRTY VILLA BASTARDS.

Simple.
12:16, Sat 20 Jan
Rags is correct of course. You have to be able to work with these people. My list is slightly longer

No cyclists
No vegans
No lefties
No racists
No religious folk
No Irish
No women
No estate agents
12:17, Sat 20 Jan
Rags
I’ve always thought interviews are decided in the first thirty seconds; first impressions are hard to shake and so I’m not surprised if anyone would decide against employing someone cos of who they support.

After all, one of the main things about interviewing someone is you’ve got to work with them - which means it comes down to “can I trust them to do the job?” as much as anything doesn’t it?

Or am I painfully naive about this?

I think it's true that someone can ruin their own interview in the first thirty seconds but if someone isn't judging you over the interview as a whole is that really someone you want to be working for anyway ?

My best interview advice, by the way, is to always remember that it's a two way process - you are also there to interview the employer to ensure it's someone you want to work for. I had an interview myself 2 years ago where i stopped the interviewer (after he first made a slightly racist remark and then a VERY misogynistic comment about one of his staff) and told him that it was pointless continuing because i could never work for him without wanting to pull him up all the time about the way he viewed people

Totally agree with that. When I interview people, if they’re just there to answer questions and “get through it”, they go in the no pile. If they engage, ask questions that someone interested in the job would ask and turn it into more of a chat than an interrogation, that scores more points than any amount of waffling about teamwork and being self-sufficient ever will.

If someone asks a weird question you don’t know how to answer, ask a question instead to clarify what they want to know like you would do in any other conversation!

Yes, and in other positions, at other employers ,i have sometimes chosen someone for their enthusiasm above people with technically better skills or experience. You can teach skills - you can't teach enthusiasm.

Actually, one of the best people i ever employed (this was 15 years ago) came into the interview and very quickly told me "you've advertised for someone proficient in xxxxx but i'll be honest, i don't have that experience, but these are my good points, the other experiences and skills i have - if you employ me do you have someone who can teach me those missing skills ? "
Tam
12:20, Sat 20 Jan
It genuinely doesn’t bother me as to who someone has played for or supported when it comes to them being at Blues. As long as they’re doing their best for us, that’s all that counts for me. And, as with the Grealish thread, if someone is kind, denting it because of their football allegiance or who they’ve played for is a bit daft to me. Each to their own, of course.

We use a web designer who’s a Villa fan and a lovely bloke. If he was on the payroll, there’d be no problem as he’s completely down to earth. That said, if you have to work with the person, then it’s important that there’s as little opportunity as possible to clash, and I can see how that could get a bit sparky. I wouldn’t employ anyone that hated dogs, for example (fears aside of course) or was involved in shooting or hunting. It wouldn’t work- it really wouldn’t work - so I can see it from that point of view.
Make Blues Great Again
12:21, Sat 20 Jan
Excellent!
12:22, Sat 20 Jan
Your the immature one.

I wasnt asked in my interview who i support. Turns out my manager is a villa fan.

Does it affect our work ? No not in the slightest. He was born about 4 miles down the road from me and supports a different team, so what. If anything we have healthy banter and football aside, our sense of humour is almost identical. He could just as easily be a bluenose as i could be villa depending on our parents allegiance.

Would he have given me the job if he interviewed me and knew i was Blues. Yes because i was the better candidate on the day and who i support doesnt affect my work. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

My best mate as a kid directly opposite me was villa. But at heart we were all just kids from stechford. Who gives a shit. Some people take this football stuff way too seriously.
12:24, Sat 20 Jan
But you’re not a Blues fan.